Best way to get rid of green mould on roof? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
a good scrub with water and detergent ( Fairy)

then jet wash .. but be careful not to wash sealer out from roof seams or around roof furniture

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Fenwicks motorhome cleaner

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
TryLink Removed stuff

Dilute as needed, 5L lasts for ages not found anything it won't shift but make sure to wax afterwords as it will take all your protective wax of as well:thumb:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Roof Cleaning

Hi, I used a product called Muc off yes really :Smile: its sold at Halfords its pink and very effective I used almost all the bottle it was a spray on type but roof came up like new and no hard scrubbing ,dont use washing up liquid its too salty and will probably take any polish off when it runs down the sides :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Better than Fenwicks...

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its cheaper here

Broken Link Removed

Pampervan Non Toxic / Organic / Bio-Degradable Caravan and Motorhome Cleaner

Pampervan Caravan Cleaner is a modern and effective cleaning agent which is an organic, non-toxic and bio-degradable cleaner. It can be used on all surfaces for all washable applications. The basic building block in Pampervan is an enzyme of plant origin; it does not contain acids, bleaches, solvents, corrosives or abrasives.
Features:
Ceans All Motor home / Caravan Bodywork Cleans All tar spots, tree sap, windscreens etc
Cleans All Kitchen appliances and surfaces
Cleans All Shower room surfaces
An amazing stain remover Shampoo for carpets and upholstery etc.
Technical Data:
Non-Toxic
Organic Bio-Degradable
Cleaning Advice:
Caravan and Motorhomes, Body work and Panels
Following the mixing instructions, make up a solution to the required strength and apply with a soft brush or car sponge. agitate lightly before rinsing with clean water. For heavier soiling, black streaks or tar spots etc: apply Pampervan neat (straight from the tub) using a wet applicator, preferably hand - hot, leave for twenty minutes before rinsing off again. If necessary, leave to soak longer. Pampervan will not scratch or damage soft acrylic windows or paintwork!
Clothes
Wet the fabric and apply Pampervan neat. Briskly rub the cleaner into the fabric, let sit for 30 minutes and wash. For heavier stains, let sit overnight. Check for colourfast and check the labels. Shampoo for upholstery and Carpet
Using a spray bottle, (see mixing instructions) apply the solution lightly, be careful not to soak, to a small area at a time and leave for a few minutes before wiping off with a dry towel. For leather upholster, always do a test in a hidden area. Spray lightly and wipe off within 20 - 30 seconds. Do not allow the solution to dry on leather and always follow the manufacturers guide lines.
Spot Cleaning Carpets and Upholstery
Using a spray bottle, (see mixing instructions) apply the solution lightly, be careful not to soak, to a small area at a time and leave for a few minutes before wiping off with a dry towel. For leather upholster, always do a test in a hidden area. Spray lightly and wipe off within 20 - 30 seconds. Do not allow the solution to dry on leather and always follow the manufacturers guide lines.
All Kitchen Appliances and Surfaces
For your stove, extractor fan, ovens and oven glass doors. Ceramic hobs and ranges (Rayburns and Agas) etc; use Pampervan neta and apply to the soiled areas with a kitchen sponge using hand-hot water. For heavier or burnt on grease, Pampervan may be left on for an hour or even overnight before rinsing off with clean water. You will find Pampervan even more effective when applied to a warm oven or stove.
Shower and bathroom Surfaces inc: Marble and Porcelain
Using a bathroom Teflon sponge, apply Pampervan neat to tiles & grout, shower trays, shower glass, shower doors / curtains, baths, sinks and fittings before rinsing off with clean water. When necessary, leave Pampervan to soak for an hour or over night. For extremely bad areas, melt Pampervan in a microwave oven or a saucepan and apply hot with a scrub sponge. Let it sit for one hour before rinsing with clean water.
Vinyl Flooring
Spray the floors with the solution then wipe off with a damp mop. For rubber heel marks, apply neat. (full strength), let sit for 20 minutes then rinse. Alloy Wheels
Wash with a heavy solution or neat with a wet sponge.
Chewing Gum and Candle Wax
Wet the area, apply Pampervan neat and let sit for 1 hour. Use comb or fork to gently scratch the spot towards the centre. Rinse out with clean water.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A mixture of bleach and clothes washing liquid and water --1 ltr cheapo bleach (any brand,currently 27 p for 2 ltrs) about half a cupful of any W/L mixed up to make 5 ltrs in a garden spray bottle -I also add Stardrops,very large squirt-- Spray on roof and leave until you have washed sides of van then give a good scrub with one of those extendable brush things and give all the van a very good rinse with clean water --total cost around 50p for 5 ltrs ---Aldi caravan cleaner works well too :winky:Total time to clean van about 15 mins to half hour
terry

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Aldi caravan cleaner seems to be a very similar product to traffic film remover as used by just about all hauliers and couriers to keep their fleets of vehicles clean. spray it on with a pump up garden sprayer, leave to work then wash off. repeat on stubborn areas using a soft broom or hand brush.

Traffic film remover costs £3.99 for 2 litres at screwfix or £25 delivered for a full 25 litre drum from ebay
Broken Link Removed

when its clean, polish with a resin polish to seal the surface. personally I prefer MER and have used it for years on all number of vehicles. gives a like new finish that the dirt struggles to stick to and water just runs off. not expensive, but takes a few hours to treat a large motorhome

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.... I have no way to wash my van at all .. especially the roof. It is in a compound with no access to a hose pipe and I cannot park it near my house ....

The roof gets filthy and the local carwashes only use the strong Karchers so it is a neverending problem....

Anyone else in this situation that has an answer. I know there are the waterless cleaners but to do the roof and the whole van with them is pretty mindboggling task.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
plenty of people advertise that they will wash or valet a caravan or motorhome at a storage facility or home. I use a local storage place for my extra caravan/motorhome as can only keep one at home. they charge me £20 to wash off the verdigris and dirt from the outside. then I bring it home do a full valet myself before selling or using

when touring with the motorhome I look out for hand car washes that will take bigger vehicles. generally run by eastern europeans and never had a problem using them yet. drive in, wait whilst its washed and polished, pay and drive out 40 minutes later. the most Ive paid was £30

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Cleaned my MH the other day, it took 6 hours.

Took 3 hours to do the roof, which hasn't been cleaned for 2 years.

I used aldi caravan cleaner and then mer to give it a water resistant sparkly finish

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow, Soaringman, if I lived closer to you I would gladly pay you £5 an hour to clean mine.......... :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Cleaned my MH the other day, it took 6 hours.

Took 3 hours to do the roof, which hasn't been cleaned for 2 years.

I used aldi caravan cleaner and then mer to give it a water resistant sparkly finish

you should see a small improvement in MPG ..:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.... I have no way to wash my van at all .. especially the roof. It is in a compound with no access to a hose pipe and I cannot park it near my house ....

The roof gets filthy and the local carwashes only use the strong Karchers so it is a neverending problem....

Anyone else in this situation that has an answer. I know there are the waterless cleaners but to do the roof and the whole van with them is pretty mindboggling task.
Hi Joy a garden pump up sprayer will do you fine -spray on good rub with a brush then refill and spray/rinse with water :thumb:
terry

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
!Elbow Grease' from any pound shop, it will clean anything 20% Lemon juice. Fantastic on stains, great for cloth and fine clothing,
the pro. Static Van cleaners use it all the time,...comes in a spray bottle really is a brilliant product. Brest Regards Mac

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
I just take the jet wash up on the roof, pop on the round spinning brush thingy, move it from side to side, job done.cleans it up a treat, no messing no bending down on your poor knees. no kneeling down in pools of water, :thumb:

Beemer

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Lincolnshire & Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2 Years
Been cleaning mine today usin "Elbow Grease" . £1 per bottle from budjet store - excellent stuff. FWI, it's also great at removing the vertical black streaks that some MH's have

Dave

Title says it all really- anyone found an effective way/product?
Cheers
David

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I cleaned mine yesterday, took me nearly all day, used Fenwicks motorhome cleaner and then Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler rinse , has come up a treat, hubby did the roof, no way was I going up there, :ROFLMAO: it was ditched in must have been under trees at one time, only bought last October, took a lot of elbow grease now looks great, looked out of the bedroom window, cannot see it otherwise.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Come on young lady, you are going to the "fix it meet". Play the helpless lady, "show me boys how to get my roof as clean as yours ??" :thumb:
They'll have to show off. Have a few cold beers on display for good measure.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I know how JJ cleans his I saw the photo:ROFLMAO:

I think it comes in a small french packet called huile de coude

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So are you chaps standing on the roof ?

just wondered

barry:Smile:
not the best idea to walk on the roof if you dont absolutely have to, as it can lead to joints leaking if trodden on and disturbed. you wont normally see any damage immediately but within weeks a very small leak can cause internal damp. The same reason not to use a pressure washer on a motorhome as the joints get disturbed (and decals lift too)

Personally I dont allow anyone on the roof and insist on using a long reach brush from a ladder or platform. If you saw whats actually holding the roof up and keeping it sealed, you would do the same.

certain manufacturers do reinforce the roof for a rack to be fitted, but even these you really need to keep to the stronger areas, particularly around the edge above the walls

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
forum gremlins strike again with a double post :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
oddly I find that if I keep a van at my welsh address then it stays cleaner on the roof than when in Dorset. probably down to being washed regularly by the rain:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not the best idea to walk on the roof if you dont absolutely have to, as it can lead to joints leaking if trodden on and disturbed. you wont normally see any damage immediately but within weeks a very small leak can cause internal damp. The same reason not to use a pressure washer on a motorhome as the joints get disturbed (and decals lift too)

Personally I dont allow anyone on the roof and insist on using a long reach brush from a ladder or platform. If you saw whats actually holding the roof up and keeping it sealed, you would do the same.

certain manufacturers do reinforce the roof for a rack to be fitted, but even these you really need to keep to the stronger areas, particularly around the edge above the walls

indeed.. good advice..

also, walking on it is quite dangerous.. especially when it's wet.. one slip and ...wooooo opp5.. three meters drop onto concrete :Eeek:

however, I used to walk my RV roof to clean it with a deck scrubber and pressure washer but it's a totally different construction ... it is an EDPM ( Rubber) laid over a sandwich plywood construction.. and very strong... and not slippery when dry.. .. but when washing I slipped and nearly fell off.. :Doh:

If you must walk on it to wash, I found out bare feet were best ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back