Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
hi all,
taking coach for mot on Monday, first time for me, is there anything in particular i should check before taking it, bulbs e.t.c are o.k, how is the parking brake checked as it cant be checked on rollers, workhorse chassis, transmission brake I think, I dont know which is worse, a visit to the dentist or an mot tester, they are both torture:cry-smile:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Roy

You'll be fine don't worry ..... make sure you tell the tester it's a trans hand brake
never had a transmission brake myself
Have your rear seat belts ready to be tested
It's easier than a trip to the dentist :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes thats easy to see Tony cos its a trans FOOT brake:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
and they are tested :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Geo
PS dont worry Ruth will teach you to drive the big un

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
hi all,
taking coach for mot on Monday, first time for me, is there anything in particular i should check before taking it, bulbs e.t.c are o.k, how is the parking brake checked as it cant be checked on rollers, workhorse chassis, transmission brake I think, I dont know which is worse, a visit to the dentist or an mot tester, they are both torture:cry-smile:

i will keep my fingers crossed for u :thumb::thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Yes but how are they tested Grasshopper :winky:

My RV was tested by VOSA centre on a rolling road the same as the other brakes. Protesting that it might damage things or, that it was a parking not an emergency brake got short shrift - the reply was either on the rolling road or driving down the road take your choice it's going to get tested. :Eeek:

They're going to test the brake whatever the type.

Check all your lights as well as the headlight beams against a wall or something and know how to adjust the beam - even VOSA will let you have a couple of minutes with a spanner if they're off.

Does your rear fog light illuminate the switch or an indicator on the dash when on?

Check all seat belts - wipers/washers work properly, horn, has it a secure fuel cap

:Smile:
Keith
Keith

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tony Keith has answered admirably:thumb:
but I'm sure he said reversing lights when i first read it, i will give him the benefit of any doubt as a good MoT tester should:ROFLMAO:
Geo

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Tony Keith has answered admirably:thumb:
but I'm sure he said reversing lights when i first read it, i will give him the benefit of any doubt as a good MoT tester should:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Must be those bedtime brandies Geo :ROFLMAO:

or editing slight of hand :winky:

Keith

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its OK i thought i was seeing things, but it turns out it was only a mirage:RollEyes:
Geo

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I have taken several different RV's for MOT's. Two had Lever hand pull Transmission brakes. The others had foot applied Transmission brakes.
When testing the Lever hand pull Transmission brakes. I held the brake on and was ready to release.
Similar with the Foot applied Transmission brakes. I pushed the brake on with my foot while holding the hand release knob ready to release if necessary.
Never failed on a Transmission brake yet. :winky:

BTW. The first time we ever took an RV (our old Coachmen). When I applied the hand lever brake. The RV reacted like a Bucking Bronco. Not very pleasant. I soon learned what to do after that. :Eeek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
Thanks guys and lasses for your replies,
If the rv has a parking brake and not an emergency brake, how do you stop it if footbrake system fails, :pray:and, how strong is the transmission, will it survive if parking brake is operated either on a rolling road or open road

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Mine's a proper brake operating on the transmission instead of the rear brakes. Mine's air operated so it's either on or off. It's not the same as the park position on the automatic gearbox.
When I took mine in for the test I followed instructions called out by the examiner. Certainly didn't seem as brutal as a few years ago. I put the brakes including the parking brake on when instructed and the road then monitored the amount of force needed to turn the wheels.

Regards
Doug

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Our rv MOT was at VOSA in Peterborough. After the rolling road test in the big shed we were requested to drive round outside and reverse up a ramp in order to test to parking brake. The ramp was so steep that we were unable to reverse up it because of the towbar and overhang. Fortunately the examiner passed us anyway. Phew!!
Good Luck
Jan

OP
OP
R

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
:Eeek::Eeek:
checked coach on Sunday afternoon and found rear fog lights not working, traced cable and found that it had been rubbing on rear wheel and shorted out, must have blown a fuse somewhere but cant find it, so ran a cable from front fog lights in order to get rears to work, took it for mot, tester found a nut and bolt loose on steering somewhere and tightened it and then :thumb::thumb::thumb:.turned out to be not quite as painful as dentist after all

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
:clap: Congratulations (I'm assuming it passed - you didn't say:RollEyes:)

Keith

spider

Free Member
Mar 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
Mot Test

Hi i just had my 1st mot on m/h, all ok but must stress that the brake test was done to the full had the bus jump out of rollers more than once :whatthe: full light test but no more than expected. but had me worred for next year if things are tight what it will be like when bus has more miles on it .dont get me wrong i want it to be safe be it gets you thinking.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back