Are gas bottles same in Holland as in UK? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I'm on a campsite in Amsterdam and have just run out of gas. It's a bit chilly. If I'd run out earlier in wouldn't have been too bad, but I'll be shivering all evening and darn, no shower in the morning.

Are the gas bottles the same fitting over here as in the UK or do I need to go out and buy some thermals until I get back on Sunday?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You ain't gonna like this but ... they are different. :Sad:

I'd suggest going out and getting a cheap camping stove that takes gas 'aerosol' type cylinders so at least you can make hot drinks/food ... oh and a hot water bottle if you can find one! Then wrap up in a nice duvet ... alternatively you could find a 'lady of the night' to keep you nice and warm!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Uh-oh. I was hoping you wasn't going to say that.

Just checked on the satnav and turns out the redlight district is just 3km away so maybe your other idea might work.

Daft question, but I'm on electric at this site. What happens if I plug in an electric fan heater?

Not that I have one, but I figured I could pick one up for not too much and it is always there for emergencies in the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So long as you don't go for a 'supa-dupa' powered heater you should be okay. Can't have you freezing can we! ::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Maybe daft suggestion but what we did in France was go to a gas place buy a new French bottle with a regulater and just connect it up , costs a bit but you can always use and change it over there next time you go, lot cheaper over there so not much more than swapping your bottle here:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I assume you are on a site as there is no wilding in Holland, so why not just get a small fan heater to tide you over. As to gas bottle I understand the screw on English butane bottle is the same thread as the French bottle, Heyuplov is the man to clarify which bottle. So carry a tail to fit.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So long as you don't go for a 'supa-dupa' powered heater you should be okay. Can't have you freezing can we! ::bigsmile:

I'm definitely going to check the stores tomorrow and see what I can find.

Sat here absolutely freezing at the moment. Got all my clothes on and I'm under the quilt and still nowhere near warm.

That idea of going down to the red light district seems to be getting more attractive by the minute ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I assume you are on a site as there is no wilding in Holland, so why not just get a small fan heater to tide you over. As to gas bottle I understand the screw on English butane bottle is the same thread as the French bottle, Heyuplov is the man to clarify which bottle. So carry a tail to fit.

No wild camping in Holland? Oops.

Shame on me as the other night I inadvertently did just that, although I was in a parking space just outside of the centre of Amsterdam and it was after 11pm so I doubt anyone would have noticed.

I was in Germany last week and found a lovely empty car park in the middle of nowhere. Couldn't figure why there was nobody else around. Until I woke up in the morning and found out I was in the cemetery car park and had been sleeping right next to the graves all night.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if youve got hook up a low wattage fan heater or oil filled radiator would keep you warm:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well ... it depends on where you are I suppose! We have wild camped in Holland but very much out of the way, and they do also have some of their own versions of 'aires' now too. ::bigsmile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
watt no wilding in Holland:Eeek: no one has told me and I have been doing it for 12 years with no problems

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'm on a campsite in Amsterdam and have just run out of gas. It's a bit chilly. If I'd run out earlier in wouldn't have been too bad, but I'll be shivering all evening and darn, no shower in the morning.

Are the gas bottles the same fitting over here as in the UK or do I need to go out and buy some thermals until I get back on Sunday?
that will tech you not to research before ye go best idea is find a nice pension to stay in
and when you get back get your shelf a gas low system just filed ours up £15.20
we love it you will never run out of gas:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We carry a small fan heater all the time and use it when we are on hook up. The position of the Truma heater in the MH (under the bed, as far away from the living area as possible) plus the draughts that come in, mean that you freeze in the front and sweat in bed when you try to use it on electric only. We stand it on the floor between the passenger and drivers seat, pointing into the van. Keeps the place lovely and warm. :thumb:

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
that will tech you not to research before ye go best idea is find a nice pension to stay in
and when you get back get your shelf a gas low system just filed ours up £15.20
we love it you will never run out of gas:thumb:

I'll check this gas-low thingy out when I get home. Sounds like a good idea.

So how do you go about filling it up then?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I'll check this gas-low thingy out when I get home. Sounds like a good idea.

So how do you go about filling it up then?
gaslow or any of the other similar refillable LPG systems work the same way. pull into a petrol station that also sells LPG (autogas) and top up the tanks as and when you want or need to. with gaslow you dont need to wait till its empty before topping up.

i generally top up when I fill up with diesel. pull up at the LPG pump and fill up then move along to the diesel, go in and pay for both

always best to fit a filler in the bodywork on the side of the van rather than in the locker as some autogas LPG places wont allow filling inside the locker with the door open.

cheapest at present is gasit, 11kg kit from under £160
http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=381

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Buy some tea lights put them in a bowl with a bit of water in bottom, 8-12 you will be surprised how they take the chill off. :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Plant pot candle heater

Make your self one of these-ready for next time.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKbFzUEWkA"]Candle Powered Air Heater - DIY Radiant Space Heater - flower pot heater - Easy DIY - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
gaslow or any of the other similar refillable LPG systems work the same way. pull into a petrol station that also sells LPG (autogas) and top up the tanks as and when you want or need to. with gaslow you dont need to wait till its empty before topping up.

i generally top up when I fill up with diesel. pull up at the LPG pump and fill up then move along to the diesel, go in and pay for both

always best to fit a filler in the bodywork on the side of the van rather than in the locker as some autogas LPG places wont allow filling inside the locker with the door open.

cheapest at present is gasit, 11kg kit from under £160
http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=381

I am definitely going to check that out as soon as I get home. Funnily enough, one of my buddies, who is a big camper, suggested something like that, but I didn't know what he was talking about, so thanks for the explanation.

And you can get LPG in many places these days, can't you so should be better than Calor I'd have thought.

Does it work out more expensive or cheaper in the long run?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
refilling with LPG- (GPL in FRANCE) is approx. 50% of the cost of an exchange bottle so definitely cheaper.:thumb::thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hey Yorkie .... are you still alive, or turned into a popsicle! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back