Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Talking of weights -

We can all read the design weights (axle, gross and train) of our vehicles from the brochures / manufacturer's plate but has anyone actually physically weighed their unit in 'laden' (holiday /touring use) condition - ie axles and gross?? - and if so - how did it fare compared to design ??

You will be amazed at the number of 'caravans' being towed that exceed their design and towing weights (perhaps this is why they so often come unstuck from the carriageways!!)

Reason for my question - I have an enforcement background and am currently exploring first purchase - 2 axles is very nice but there are horrendous weight issues with 2 axle coaches (hence your modern touring coach (PSV) is going to 3 axles, to enable passengers to take luggage legally!!)

How do 2 axles fare with 'loads' of black, grey and clean water plus the best part of a tank of diesel - together with all the bits and extras 'we' have added since we purchased the 'empty' coach.

I have no wish to fall foul of my ex-colleagues on the grounds of axle /gross weight (or using a vehicle in a dangerous condition if design weights are exceeded!) - is 3 axles the safer answer ??

Be interested to see design -v- actual in replies posted:

Axle 1 (front) design (from manufacturers plate) Actual

Axle 2 (rear) design (from manufacturers plate) Actual

Gross (vehicle) design (from manufacturers plate) Actual

I don't' anticipate 'train' (rv + trailer) to be an issue

My thanks in anticipation

Ian S.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
excellent thread Dick.

cant give you an answer but i bet others can. :thumb:

whilst ignorance is no excuse it is a lot easier on the nerves.

Last edited:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Dick

3 axles excellent choice for carrying weight not much chance of falling foul of overloading

However thats whilst running on the " black stuff " try it on grass especialy wet grass and you'll probably find a serious lack of traction with rear wheel drive tags
not to mention extra tyres to replace at some point

I think the best way is not carry so much stuff :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Here's mine in lbs (remember those?):

Axle 1 (front): design 12,800 Actual 10,460

Axle 2 (rear): design 20,000 Actual 20,000

Gross (vehicle): design 32,800 Actual 30,600

Don't ask me why axle 2 actual came out to be exactly 20,000, or why the gross didn't equal the sum of the 2 axles. But I have a certified weight from a weigh station with those numbers on it. In any event, that rear axle is right at the federal limit for the allowed weight on a single axle. That federal limit is also why the axle was rated at 20,000, although it could carry more.

We were as laden as we get. We were part way through a 14-week, 10,000 miles trip. Every cupboard and storage bay was loaded to the gills, although a lot of that stuff has since been removed. We had a near-full tank of diesel, near-full tank of water and IIRC near-full tank of LPG. I don't know exactly how much was in the waste tanks; We normally dump before leaving a campground and, in this case, we were several days into a stay at a friend's house when we decided to drive to a local weigh station (without dumping). I was in the coach, but no passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Jeeze Tom
Were there no hypermarkets where you going :roflmto:
it's a wonder you didn't have to carry a cargo manifest actual weight 30000 lbs :whatthe: thats about 15 tons gross so I guess you were carrying something like 6/7 tons of essentials ?

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Were there no hypermarkets where you going

LOL Tony, you wouldn't think so the way my wife had it loaded. She even loaded 4 heavy steel chairs in one of the bays because she said they were "more comfortable" than aluminium ones.

...so I guess you were carrying something like 6/7 tons of essentials?

Let's just say we were carrying lots of non-essential junk. We also had clothes for every season imaginable.

Later in the trip we were staying at a campground where some friends were (paid) campground hosts. One day they were laughing at me taking some of this junk out of the coach and the more stuff out of the toad, cussing at why she'd brought it along.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Tom
I've got a missus just like yours :roflmto:

I've got a new ( to me) coach on it's way as we speak , darling Ruth is already buying "essentials " for it and aint even in the country yet :Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry to say this but I think your only going to get replies from those that are within their limits
I cant see many posting

Axle1 Front Design1000kg Actual1250 kg

Axle 2 rear Design 2000kg Actual 2500kg

Fine, Design £200 Actual £200 plus costs and 3 points:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I've got a missus just like yours

Tony, they taught them this stuff in girlie school, along with how to prepare the honey-do list, while us guys were learning woodwork or metalwork, or playing rugby.

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Welcome Bill

Nice to see you have made it to a 'fun' site where you don't have to be mad to be a member but, in general, I find it helps :thumb::thumb:

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Mmn, reminds me that not long after I purchased my present van I dutifully took it down to the weighbridge in as bought status, i.e. no fresh or grey water, 1/2 a tank of fuel, no food or passengers, but all accessories (leads, chairs, gas cylinders, etc) on board.

I can't recall the individual axle weights but remember vividly that the total was 3300kg, against a GVW of 3200. as we were about to set off for a continental trip where apparently they make you dump excess weight by the roadside, this caused me no little concern:cry:

We survived the trip though there was one sweaty moment when a gendarmes van pulled up right behind me with blue lights flashing; so stopped in next layby,"why have you stopped here?, not a good place to stop, go to next services..." I dutifully followed them to the next services but never found them so the episode is still a mystery.

To come back to the overloading, I think the explanation is that the extras fitted by the previous owners, awning, solar panel, habitation aircon, sat dish, towbar, had eaten into the set payload allowing nothing for everyday items. I have sort of rectified the situation by getting a paper increase in GVW to 3500kg from SVTech, but I still haven't gone back for a reweigh:Sad:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I don't know wot you mean G

speaking of which got and overload tomorrow :winky:

Your a HGV driver Tony, you lads are exempt arnt you:winky:
Geo

We are exempt in the dark! Aren't we Tony?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously that extra axel will cause problems on soft or even wet ground also it will affect your fuel consumption, I could not believe it when I was driving a 6X2 tractor unit back from Scotland, out of curiosity I let the rear tag axel down on to the road and kept a steady foot on the throttle and the revs dropped by 200rpm this was at around 2300 rpm so the extra energy required just to combat the rolling resistance cannot be ignored.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Comment from "roughing it smoothly" Seriously that extra axle will cause problems on soft or even wet ground also it will affect your fuel consumption,

Now that really interests me - the fact that the 'tag' will not help on soft or even wet ground.

In my innocence I would have assumed that an extra wheel on the ground would help support the weight - so are you saying that the extra wheel will 'sink' quicker on soft ground having followed the first wheel - or is it that the extra wheel will churn up the soft ground quicker etc., etc., etc.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Comment from "roughing it smoothly" Seriously that extra axle will cause problems on soft or even wet ground also it will affect your fuel consumption,

Now that really interests me - the fact that the 'tag' will not help on soft or even wet ground.

In my innocence I would have assumed that an extra wheel on the ground would help support the weight - so are you saying that the extra wheel will 'sink' quicker on soft ground having followed the first wheel - or is it that the extra wheel will churn up the soft ground quicker etc., etc., etc.

Hi Dick the extra wheel takes weight off the drive axle which will cause it to spin and dig in unless you can temporarily lift that tag axle, also the extra resistance to turning will cause more problems. That is why most tippers are double drive it's only usually the likes of tarmac trucks that have a tag axle.

I have had 6 wheel tractor units with a centre axle and they could get stuck trying to mount a kerb, also if they were not set up correctly you would sometimes get wheelspin on hills especially in the wet! It's aquestion of getting the weights ratio just right.

Having said that I had problems this weekend on a grassy slope getting out at a rally at Longleat but the use of good old bread baskets got me out:thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Having said that I had problems this weekend on a grassy slope getting out at a rally at Longleat but the use of good old bread baskets got me out:thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

Barbara and I drove down Friday evening arriving just in time for the communal bbq and bingo:ROFLMAO: Over 30 RVs make an impressive sight. If I'd known you were there we'd have made a point of looking you up.
Thank goodness the RVs got off ok. I got covered in mud helping push a Ducato to the track. We waited until 10am so we had a clear run. Even so, I couldn't get out of the depressions my rear wheels had made without gently rocking her back and forwards.

Regards
Doug

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994

Hi Dick
you realy must pay more attention :roflmto::roflmto: I already covered the problem earlier in this thread .... the fact that you will suffer a serious loss of traction

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Yea, sorry Tony I got lost in the 'fog' of overweight vehicles and banter from other members - just read back through the thread and found it again. My apologies :thumb:

Anyway, I thought 'Traction' was what happened when you broke a leg and ended up in hospital with a plaster cast suspended from a hook in the ceiling. :Eeek:

Now, you see Pat explained it in simple terms - wot I could understand - not in Daily Telegraph Crossword speak. :winky:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Yea, sorry Tony I got lost in the 'fog' of overweight vehicles and banter from other members - just read back through the thread and found it again. My apologies :thumb:

Anyway, I thought 'Traction' was what happened when you broke a leg and ended up in hospital with a plaster cast suspended from a hook in the ceiling. :Eeek:

Now, you see Pat explained it in simple terms - wot I could understand - not in Daily Telegraph Crossword speak. :winky:
i think its a man thing most of them get too technical when simple explation works very well for me too,Pat obviously understand this:thumb:
ruth

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994

Sorry for the "Techno" speak Dick I'll do better next time
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Thanks Dick not sure if that is a compliment or not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Doug sorry did not realise you were there or would have spoken we had to leave Sat midday as we had a party to go to back here in Southampton. When I tried to level using wooden pads under the jacks the front one just kicked the pad out and then would not retract fully so had to spend my first couple of hours at the rally laid underneath trying to jack the leg back up, in the end sat under neath and took all the spings off and was then able to retract it then put the spings back on and just drove onto two pads on the low side! Oh the joys of a wet rally field:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

Last edited:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks Dick not sure if that is a compliment or not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Doug sorry did not realise you were there or would have spoken we had to leave Sat midday as we had a party to go to back here in Southampton. When I tried to level using wooden pads under the jacks the front one just kicked the pad out and then would not retract fully so had to spend my first couple of hours at the rally laid underneath trying to jack the leg back up, in the end sat under neath and took all the spings off and was then able to retract it then put the spings back on and just drove onto two pads on the low side! Oh the joys of a wet rally field:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

Ah, so it was you that got Terry into trouble for getting muddy!
We were very late bookers as I had to be within an hours drive of the office but I'm sure we'll eventually get to meet!

Regards
Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back