Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hopefully members can give me advice.
My other half is asking questions regarding if having Gaslow or the equivalent fitted to the motorhome would be beneficial. We are planning Europe from mid July, mainly France. But are unsure of wether to keep the standard bottles we have. Or to switch to the Gaslow or equivalent system. My thoughts are that it would be beneficial to swop. But do we have one Gaslow & one standard bottle, Or, do we have the two Gaslow. Any pointers would be welcome.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
It will pay for its self in the long run, however the biggest benefit is conveniance, no more lugging around bottles. LPG in france is a lot more common than over here. I have the gasit system as its cheaper but I only have the single bottle at present, nhowever i will be going to the double system some time in the future.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
My other half is asking questions regarding if having Gaslow or the equivalent fitted to the motorhome would be beneficial. We are planning Europe from mid July, mainly France. But are unsure of wether to keep the standard bottles we have. Or to switch to the Gaslow or equivalent system. My thoughts are that it would be beneficial to swop. But do we have one Gaslow & one standard bottle, Or, do we have the two Gaslow. Any pointers would be welcome.

One R67 11klg latest Technology valve system plus the fill system in the MH Body, + one single 6 klg Calor gas bottle, we will as most do end up fitting the 'No 2' Gaslow bottle...but the system is quite expensive and will take time to balance out the cost of such when compared to the Calor gas system however the real benefit is not having to worry what your going to do when your gas supply starts (maybe) running out

PS, look for the many previous posts regarding this topic in your Search facility:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We had 2 x 11kg Gaslow cylinders fitted by the dealer when we bought the van in 2007. We have never regretted it and I could not see myself using exchange bottles now. If I were having a system fitted again, I would consider Alugas as they are a bit lighter.

For me, the issue is not cost as it will take a while to recover the capital cost, but the convenience is more than worth the initial outlay in my opinion. Depending on where you live, there may be an option to have an account with a gas supplier. Then you can ask them to apply 5% VAT instead of 20% as the gas is to be used for heating and cooking. I have an account with Country Wide Farmers, but they cover only the south midlands and west country.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My two Gaslow systems (one has two Gaslow bottles and one has a single Gaslow and a Calor Lite) didn't take very long to pay for itself never mind the convenience.

A self refillable gas system every time in my book.

But then I use my van(s) mostly every day and night.

JJ

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Gas

We have the 11Kg large gaslow with external filling plus a single 6kg color propane lite bottle with manual change over valve. we use the gaslow system all the time keeping the color lite as a "Back up" this is because the contents gauge on the gaslow isnt the best in the world, and also if we want to stay on a site for a few days and we run out of the gaslow we then have a reserve to tap into until I can be bothered to fill up the gaslow bottle:roflmto:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The main short term benefit is when travelling abroad, where the pre-filled cylinders and their attachments are completely different to those found in the UK. With a refillable you just go to the nearest LPG ('GPL' in France) pump, screw an adapter into your filler valve and fill up. Even in the UK Calor stockists (especially small ones) don't always have the exact size of bottle you need so replacing them can be a faff, not to mention heaving them in and out of a confined locker, disconnecting, re-connecting etc etc.

Medium and long term it's cost - it's a whole lot cheaper to re-fill with LPG than to keep buying replacement Calor gas bottles. You never get the 'deposit' back on your first pre-filled gas bottle either so that's a complete waste of money.

We have a 22 litre Gaslow with a 6Kg Calor bottle in reserve just in case. We haven't had to use the reserve bottle yet.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Having caravaned need for many years and motorhomed more recently I would never return to the old system for a Motorhome. The gaslow approach is far more convenient. I can imagine some circumstances when caravaners may want to keep to the calor system.

Last edited:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
We had Gaslow fitted last spring and we left the UK in August. Since we've been travelling, we've had no problems filling the tanks wherever we've been. We've got two bottles, 6 and 11 kgs. We've stayed on Villlasol in Benidorm on and off since the start of this year and a lot of the long termers use gas in local bought cylinders and they don't move their vans at all. But we do move about so having the 'on board' system suits us fine. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with calor and other exchangeable cylinders, you regularly throw away some of the overpriced gas in a cylinder. you check the cylinder, realise theres not enough left to do what you want so change it out with a full one. I often wonder how many litres of gas I have given back to the dealers over the years

with refillable, you can top up at any time you are getting diesel, so no gas is wasted. plus its WAY cheaper to buy the gas at the pump than renting the bottle. If like many you spend a long time touring with your van each year, the saving on gas soon pays for the new cylinders. these cylinders can also be transferred onto any new van you may change to too

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a 11kg Gaslow cylinder which we installed in 2009 and have since transferred it to 2 other MHs - as our previous MH's locker only took 1 cylinder anyway so it was a good job we had a refillable system due to the time we stayed away as no way would a standard 13kg Calor cylinder have lasted us.

Our current PVC is supposed to only take 2 x 7kg Calor, I did look at replacing the single 11kg refillable with 2 x 6kg refillables but the cost was extortionate just to 'accommodate' the locker space and gain an extra 1kg of gas ... soooooo after a bit of messing about I managed to persuade the 11kg into the locker along with a filler point too.

If you only intend to go to France you'll find that it is very easy to find places to fill up your gas so having a second refillable cylinder would just be an expensive back-up that you wouldn't really need. I'd say go for a single 11kg Gasit system (not much more cost than than 6kg kit but nearly double the amount of gas) and either an in-locker or external filler (not much difference in cost) and take a Calor as a spare ... which I doubt you'd ever use! It is easy to fit the system so if you are okay at some DIY you won't have a problem.:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

You only need the one if you're touring about. This is because they can be topped off before they are empty and you'll be driving past filling stations anyway, so will do so when it is half empty. It is more of an issue with a caravan, where you might want to take along the empty bottle in your car, as the caravan might be staying for a while on a campsite.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have 2 x 11kg Alugas bottles, and my reason for purchase was to not worry about running out of gas on the continent. A huge plus with increasing age is not having to hump 13kg in and out of the lockers

I have found that I generally refill before the first bottle is empty so having only one bottle would not be a big drawback. LPG stations are everywhere in France, but are still available in the rest of Europe, you might just need to drive a bit out of your way when you need one.

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
We have been touring for nearly a year now in Europe and are very very pleased that we had Gaslow fitted 2 bottles obviously and easy to use at numerous Garages in France and Italy.

Spain has now come out of recession and as part of an ongoing upgrade lots of Repsol garages all over the country are having tanks installed.

GPL Autogas LPG call it what you like and the adaptors are simple to use you can top up quite easily everytime you fuel up.

Feel free to ask any other questions if you need too :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Actually that's the 6kg one but that's the one iv got and couldn't recommend it enough for two of us it's fine. Put one in last month , no probs apart from a leak on the filler pipe, which was my fault for not tightening it enough, never like to over tighten these compression fittings. But we have kept the old calor bottle as well so if we can't find one sort we can maybe find the other but if we don't use the spare bottle this year I shall chuck it out and use the sace for something else :thumb:

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Support all of the comments about convenience and ease of use. We have a single 11kg bottle fitted and I wonder why people need a dual system, especially if you tour in Britain, France, Germany etc. where LPG is commonplace. The number of times we stop for diesel gives us ample opportunity to top up the gas when we need to. I guess I can see the necessity for two cylinders if you tend to stay in one place for lengthy periods (very lengthy periods inorder to use a full tank of gas) but are there any other reasons why two would be needed? Just curious.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are off to France and Spain tomorrow for a month and I asked the same sort of questions as you in a recent thread I started. I ended up choosing a single Gasit 11Kg bottle and use one of my 6kg calors as a back up "just in case". The bottle, remote locker filling kit, adaptor so I could continue to use my POL pigtail and all three filling adaptors needed for Europe came to a total of just under £190. A lot less than the equivalent from Gaslow. And the bottles look identical and (I am told) are made in the same factory, just painted a different colour.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are off to France and Spain tomorrow for a month and I asked the same sort of questions as you in a recent thread I started. I ended up choosing a single Gasit 11Kg bottle and use one of my 6kg calors as a back up "just in case". The bottle, remote locker filling kit, adaptor so I could continue to use my POL pigtail and all three filling adaptors needed for Europe came to a total of just under £190. A lot less than the equivalent from Gaslow. And the bottles look identical and (I am told) are made in the same factory, just painted a different colour.

Yeah same here but couldn't fit the 11 so had to settle for the 6:Sad
One thing to note if you are now on propane you will need an adapter, it's only a brass thing with different threads at each end, but if you order one at the same time , it's only £7 , it will come with the rest of the kit, I didnt:Doh: and had to wait a couple of days for it but give them their due they sent me one out free post:thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
One thing to note if you are now on propane you will need an adapter, it's only a brass thing with different threads at each end, but if you order one at the same time , it's only £7 , it will come with the rest of the kit,
Yep, ordered mine at same time and all included in the £190!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've got a two bottle Gaslow which I bought privately from the previous owner who removed it when the part ex dealer wasn't interested in it. It has an automatic change over valve which I dont use as I like the warning that one bottle has run out, then I refill the system at the next opportunity. Although it's not a big chore ( it has an external fill point ) I couldn't be bothered topping up every time I refueled.
Don't bother going to fill it at a Calor Autogas outlet, the first and only time I tried it, they refused to fill it, wouldn't say why and were quite rude too, their loss !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back