Are caravanners and motorhomers the same? (1 Viewer)

Are caravanners and motorhomers are the same?

• Yes - I think we are all the same

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • NO - there is a marked difference

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • Often it depends on their nationality

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I try not to vote on divisive polls

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yes it's a simple enough poll:

Do you think tuggers are the same as chuggers?

Do both sets of owners and operators think, act and behave in the same way?

Can you tell the difference by demeanour, actions or attitude?

Time to vote:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We used to tug, now we have been chugging for 6 years. Yes we are different, previously we would pitch up for a week here then another week somewhere else, often visiting places we had towed the van through. Now we tour en-route, stopping for just one or two nights as we go with no particular destination in mind.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
We used to tug, now we have been chugging for 6 years. Yes we are different, previously we would pitch up for a week here then another week somewhere else, often visiting places we had towed the van through. Now we tour en-route, stopping for just one or two nights as we go with no particular destination in mind.

Rgds
Bill

Which you could rephrase as...

Caravanning - its about the destination

Motorhoming - its about the journey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I cant see any difference at all.

Just people who like camping, but who have , in some cases, different requirements.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As soon as caravans are permitted to use Aires then we will be the same. I will have to get a poll underway see who is in favour.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
No difference at all, many of us have had both.
I thought that I had locked onto Facts by mistake for a minute, there would be plenty of anti caravan posts on there.

Mike

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Lots of motorhomes behave like caravanners otherwise there wouldn't be a market for A-frames!

We have a different idea of how motorhoming should be and it neither involves campsites nor freeloading!::bigsmile:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
We are currently tuggers and looking to acquire a motorhome as soon as it is practical. We happily pay our £10 per year to Motorhomefun and enjoy going to meets. We have made a lot of friends in the last year and look forward to meeting up with them again this year.
They did not seem to care if we were tuggers or chuggers, surely we are all after the same thing, enjoyment of our free time. :thumb: by the way, thanks for your company in the last year - see you soon::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Well we are both, so where does that leave us, I am into motor homes hubby is not, long holidays we go in caravan, the motorhome is mine and for me and my dog , hubby isn`t in to motor homes :cry: have tried to persuade him to change to a motor home a bigger one than the one I have, no go , I haven`t room in mine for the three dogs, I bought MH to visit family and friends further away and to explore either with a friend or on my own with my dog ,so we are in both camps I suppose, I prefer MH `s. :thumb:

Margaret

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a motorhome because neither of has ever towed anything and we didn't fancy trying. If the day ever comes when we need the use of a car whilst away, though, we will go for a caravan rather than give up completely.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My Mum started off with a caravan but as my step father got older he kept bashing into things when towing , so they switched to a motorhome.

Now he bashes into things with the motorhome instead::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
As soon as caravans are permitted to use Aires then we will be the same. I will have to get a poll underway see who is in favour.

Wouldn't an aire to accommodate motorhomes and caravan have to be huge? And wouldn't that mean these would the be moved to the outskirts of town? If so that would be a shame.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
No difference at all, many of us have had both.
I thought that I had locked onto Facts by mistake for a minute, there would be plenty of anti caravan posts on there.

Mike

Well I'm not sure how you got that impression Mike. I can't see any negative points on this poll.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I can think of one difference....

Tuggers don't tend to take the p*ss out of other site users because they take longer to pitch up....unlike some motorhome users on certain forums :winky:

"Oooh....look at me....I just turn up and 5 minutes later I've got a glass of wine in my hand as I laugh at that bloke putting up his caravan awning, while that other poor couple are hilariously chasing their tent down the hill...."

:RollEyes:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
We used to tug; now we chug. The main reason is that my wife now has restricted mobility and the on-board facilities mean we can travel as far and for as long as we want. We couldn’t do that with a caravan. Believe me the disabled toilets in motorway services can be dire.

But we have great memories of our tugging days. We mostly had fairly big caravans, which gave us real home-from-home comforts, but the MoHo has a lot going for it and it is a great deal more manoeuvrable in the Devon lanes.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Do you think tuggers are the same as chuggers?

Essentially, yes. They just have slightly different equipment. :Smile:

Do both sets of owners and operators think, act and behave in the same way?

No, because everyone is an individual. I have met some lovely caravanners and some to$$pot caravanners. Same goes for motorhomers. :RollEyes:

Can you tell the difference by demeanour, actions or attitude?

Demeanour and attitude, no. Actions, yes - to the extent that caravanners trundle up and down with aquarolls and waste hogs - although I've also seen a few motorhomers doing this too. Both sets have been known to wear crocs and terrible shorts. ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I cant see any difference at all.

Just people [HI]who like camping[/HI], but who have , in some cases, different requirements.

I do not (NOT) go "camping".

Camping = damp clothes... leaking tents... primus stoves... misery.

Caravaning = camping with slightly less misery...

Motorhoming = luxury living on wheels...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Like many on here I have had many motorhomes and also a number of caravans. I am still the same person.
There is a difference in the way I use them though, caravans pretty much have to go on a site, and will stay there for days or weeks while the tug is used for 'outings'. My motorhomes are used for touring, rarely staying more than two nights anywhere, and if there's somewhere I want to visit, I will go in the MH.

If I could afford it I would have both. A motorhome for continental touring and a caravan for the UK (which is very motorhome unfriendly)
A caravan is also ideal for overwintering abroad, where it's common to stay in the same place for a month or more to get the longstay reductions.
I have voted 'no difference'.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Essentially, yes. They just have slightly different equipment. :Smile:

No, because everyone is an individual. I have met some lovely caravanners and some to$$pot caravanners. Same goes for motorhomers. :RollEyes:

Demeanour and attitude, no. Actions, yes - to the extent that caravanners trundle up and down with aquarolls and waste hogs - although I've also seen a few motorhomers doing this too. Both sets have been known to[HI] wear crocs and terrible shorts[/HI]. ::bigsmile:

Oi!!!! I resemble that remark.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
when you see the cc club turn up and spend 4 hours getting all there stuff out and ready. and then see me turn up.15 mins I am sitting down drinking my drink. that is the difference.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
when you see the cc club turn up and spend 4 hours getting all there stuff out and ready. and then see me turn up.[HI]15 mins[/HI] I am sitting down drinking my drink. that is the difference.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

15 minutes! 15 whole minutes!! What on earth do you find to do that takes you 15 minutes before you're sitting down with a drink?? ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I tend to agree with JJ. I love my comforts and the ability to do just as I please.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back