Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
hi all im bidding on ebay for a smaller m/h the problem is it is down in Essex and im up here in wakefield so I cant just pop round to have a look at it so I have to go on the pictures and read what they say about it.so if I am the winning bidder how do I get there from wakefield. my wife sue says im stupid for bidding on something so far away.but theres nothing that interests me any closer.if you want to have a look at it the numbered item is 251472180542 on ebay would like your advice. thanks steve

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi.. Obviously you put the wrong item number on your post. Getting down to Essex should be easy enough by train but you really should get a look at what you're buying first or get someone to have a look for you. Damp, gas safety and water leaks... Not to mention the engine suspension and drive train could all do with at least a cursory check.
It's your money of course...

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Don't do it!

We did it once and when we got there (the day after winning the bid) the van was so badly described and cleverly photographed that there was no way we were going to have it. We walked away and a couple of days later the seller opened a case against us. Colin then opened a case against the seller for misleading information in the listing. Colin won!

Photos make everything look bigger, cleaner and shinier than they really are.

By the way your item number is wrong, it's for a baseball card or something. Try and post a link.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having bought several motorhomes outside the UK unseen, the best advice I can give is, bid what you are willing to pay and don't part with a penny until you pick it up. If the vehicle is not what the seller says it is, then you are within your rights to walk away. It will have cost you the train fare to pick it up, but that wont be anywhere near as much as what you can save. There are bent traders out there, but there are more honest ones. Be fair and dont expect a new van at second hand price. If its second hand, it will have a few problems, but they should be easily fixable. If you are saving a few thousand over a dealers price, expect to spend a few hundred sorting it. Everyone's a winner that way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve just my observations if it's the van in Dave's (shiftzz)posted link --looks like some furniture is made in light oak and some in a Cherry --not sure how it's going to fit into the van -those two tall ends look too narrow to fit anywhere-- On the plus side I have a shedload of L/Oak furniture boards ::bigsmile:--THE WAY TO GO IS LOOK AT THE PRICE OF THE VAN then look at second hand prices for the stuff inside --New there is aprox £3500 worth of gear ie windows roof light cooker sink loo water heater cupboard doors etc --may be 4k depending on all the bits,handles catches etc second hand this would drop to less than 2k easy :Smile: add van price and 2k second hand gear and you have it's true worth with the downside of having to do the layout already decided on (where holes etc have been cut):Smile:If I can be of any help just ask --if I was doing it I would start by making all new cupboards and units,throwing away the old carcases -perhaps using some for patterns --good luck :thumb:
terry
edit have you noticed the mileage is 131,000 not the first stated 13,100-- not that that would bother me -so long as engine and running gear is good

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Steve

Is this the one?

Broken Link Removed

Hi Steve just my observations if it's the van in Dave's (shiftzz)posted link --looks like some furniture is made in light oak and some in a Cherry --not sure how it's going to fit into the van -those two tall ends look too narrow to fit anywhere-- On the plus side I have a shedload of L/Oak furniture boards ::bigsmile:--THE WAY TO GO IS LOOK AT THE PRICE OF THE VAN then look at second hand prices for the stuff inside --New there is aprox £3500 worth of gear ie windows roof light cooker sink loo water heater cupboard doors etc --may be 4k depending on all the bits,handles catches etc second hand this would drop to less than 2k easy :Smile: add van price and 2k second hand gear and you have it's true worth with the downside of having to do the layout already decided on (where holes etc have been cut):Smile:If I can be of any help just ask --if I was doing it I would start by making all new cupboards and units,throwing away the old carcases -perhaps using some for patterns --good luck :thumb:
terry
edit have you noticed the mileage is 131,000 not the first stated 13,100-- not that that would bother me -so long as engine and running gear is good

Just an observation that this m/h is in Stoke on Trent not Essex, so is unlikely to be the one Steve is looking at.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Looks a decent conversion :Smile:although it has my pet hate of veltrim carpet on the walls and lower cupboard fronts ::bigsmile:-i I think it will end up nearer to 10k than 5k :winky:

terry

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Steve, unless your circumstances prevent it you really should view this van.

I purchase several vehicles each week, mostly from auctions.

These days I have the ability to bid on-line and not drive to the auction. I don't take advantage of this for many reasons but mainly because I get a gut-feel for the vehicle in front of me, does it look that clean because it has been well cared for or is it because it has led a dogs life but just gone through a good valet shop?

My point is you really should go down and look at it, it's 200 miles or so from you, so make a trip of it.

In 1984 I spent every Wednesday driving up to Brighouse Vehicle Auctions with several drivers to bring back the spoils the same day to Salisbury, they were often cheaper "oooop naughth" you see.

Best of luck with this one, it looks good.
:thumb:

Last edited:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have been to several dealers and privately when I was looking for a motor home, the furthest was a 6 hour round trip, no go ,several others of well over 100 -150 miles one way, , the one I bought was over 200 miles away. unfortunately very rarely on your door step.
Good luck,
Margaret

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again Steve using my own formula Van = 4k ish plus 2k for gear inside (new) then 2k for converter :Smile: so around 8k ::bigsmile: Still 8K IS NEARER 10K THAN 5 K :winky:
terry

OP
OP
S

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
mix uphi

hi there I think there as been a bit of a mix with with the m/h I am bidding for the van is on e bay and item number is 251472180543 and its in Essex.i thank you all so far for the advice you have given me and realise what a great club motorhomefun is .even though at times we have all been known to disagree basically we are all here to help oneanother out in times of need. kind regards steve:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having had a quick shuftie at the van it appears that there isn't any 'proper' plumbing as there are waste and fresh water 'drums' under the sink, no sink in the toilet compartment (so therefore no shower either). It looks like someone has done a basic conversion on a van that was possibly already owned, hence why some of the stuff is 'new', or refurbished an existing basic conversion. All in all though doesn't look bad but I doubt it'll go for less than £10k.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
normally I would have offered to go along for you unfortunately I am not well enough at the moment.

There are a few funsters in Essex hope someone can help you out.

Alternatively if you want to pay and book it in, The London Borough of Redbridge can do you a full vehicle check and send you the report, they are very thorough PM me if you want details

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The sleeping arrangements look like two singles made up from the rear seating and the swivelled front seats. As the seller admits he hasn't fitted seat swivels, this will give you beds only about 4ft long. Alternatively if they make a transverse double then that will also be quite short, probably less than 6ft due to the width of the van. No good if you're tall . Also apparently no hot water or proper tanks.:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back