Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just had one of those on line updates from my insurance company......I was just about to junk it when I read this:

Are you aware that earlier in 2013 the law changed regarding your vision as a driver through the windscreen?

The Highway Code has been amended to say that “windscreens and windows MUST be kept clean and free from obstructions to vision”. This means that any windscreen mounted mobile phone holders or sat nav holders could now be considered illegal by the police and potentially land you with points on your driving licence and / or a fine.

NEVER HEARD OF IT!!
And so I checked, and yes, you are now breaking the law to have anything attached to the windscreen other then a tax disk...........:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Just had one of those on line updates from my insurance company......I was just about to junk it when I read this:

NEVER HEARD OF IT!!
And so I checked, and yes, you are now breaking the law to have anything attached to the windscreen other then a tax disk...........:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Does that mean i can have those pesky parking wardens arrested for sticking tickets on mine ? can i sue nissan for sticking the mirror on my car screen?

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
A quick google round various sites seems to suggest that as long as the "obstruction" is outside what's known as the "swept area" of the windscreen then you are ok.

"swept area" being that part of the screen that the wipers cover.

That seems reasonable to me.

Steve :Smile:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
No problem for me. I hate clutter in my cars.

Coincidentally, I noticed a BMW driving down my village high street yesterday with the entire vertical centre section of the windscreen almost fully obscured by a suction-mount phone / nav holder. It can't be terribly safe when your vision is impeded that way, although I accept the nav unit is in a good position for visibility.

But notice the wording: 'could now be considered'. Not 'will' or 'shall'. I think any prosecutions will be for those using multiple devices or with a device clearly in the drivers line of sight or maybe even an excessive size.

Those drivers being 'sensible' and placing a device low-down and not in the way, I'm sure, will be left well alone.

Then again, also consider the possible distraction combination of recent legislation for smoking whilst driving with the above. What next?

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years

NEVER HEARD OF IT!!

There are big jumps here. The highway code is not the law. A mobile phone holder won't necessarily obstruct vision. Nowhere is a tax disc mentioned as far as I can see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I seem to remember seeing a few Cop programs with just about every device know to man stuck on the windscreen:ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What about my funster sticker, funster bear, 2 flower vases complete with flowers, 2 dash fans, fibre optic lamp and not to mention Oma and Opah on there motorbike.

Attachments

• Oma and Opah 002.jpg
    Oma and Opah 002.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A quick google round various sites seems to suggest that as long as the "obstruction" is outside what's known as the "swept area" of the windscreen then you are ok.

BUT, if you have your sat nav suction thingie at the bottom centre of the screen, (as most do), then that's swept area???

It seems that interior mirrors and tax disk holders dont count, as they are 'a legal requirement'.....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I noticed a BMW driving down my village high street yesterday with the entire vertical centre section of the windscreen almost fully obscured by a suction-mount phone / nav holder.

That comes as no surprise - I've yet to encounter any BMW driver that was using his windscreen for the normal purpose (ie seeing what was in front of them).

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Oddly enough I have always put my satnav under my rear view mirror as that is always the natural place to look...

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A mobile phone holder won't necessarily obstruct vision.

It dosent have to. The sheer fact you have it on the screen seems to be the problem. Just 'phoned my mate in Lancashire Traffic Police. He laughed......Yes, they pull peeps for other stuff, and then do them for that as well once seen, which seems a bit of a s**t trick to me, but hey, points make ££££££££££££££££££££££s :Sad:

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Basically be sensible where you position your 'Sat Nav' for example not smack bang in the middle of your windscreen where it clearly obstructs your view and you will be fine 'common sense' prevails me thinks and yes 'The swept area' is correct.

Safe and Happy Travelling :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
trying to find the full monty on this

This relates to windscreen mounted cameras, but the concept it seems is the same for all windscreen mounted devices. Also, the picture relates to the 'swept area'.

http://suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Whatever next?........... I'll tell you what next, a couple of years ago I was done by the local police whilst holidaying in the states....... :Blush:

See here

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I remember being told a few years back that a car could fail its MOT if it had an air freshners hanging from the mirror no idea if that's correct.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hmm..... I have just got my Parking Permit for Zone 1 in Edinburgh.This is to be clearly visible on the windscreen and is about three times the size of a tax disc! I will let the police and the City Council fight that one out!:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I use a sat nav in the car it is mounted on one of the air grilles. I have my camera on a dash mount which is low enough to cause no vision problems.

In the van the cheapo Chinese sat nav is mounted at the extreme nearside (for me, navigator, to operate) and the camera is mounted in the dash tray. Both well away from causing any vision problems.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Interesting - just look at Land Rovers - a screen that is not much taller than 18 inches high and you can get a failure on MOT for a chip in the swept area of the drivers side. Then there is nothing to stop you putting a sodding great spare wheel on the bonnet restricting the vision to 100 yards in front of you. And there is nothing they can do about it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I am sure we have all noticed the truck drivers in Europe. They are football supporters and they hang trophy ribbons about 2 foot long on a sort of coat hanger arrangement. Looks for all the world like they have closed the curtains. Why they would want to have their view obstructed like that is beyond me.

I see the same thing where drivers put decorations and hanging dolls in the front and rear window. Why do they want an obstruction in the first place. My window pillars are awkward enough to see around and the last thing I need is even more obstruction.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Saw a Spanish truck on the N10 near Angouleme yesterday and he had about 100 oranges ripening on the dash up against the winscreen,no offence??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
It dosent have to. The sheer fact you have it on the screen seems to be the problem.

Not as far as I can see (no pun intended).

As long as we are sticking to the original post and not going into the realms of dangerously obstructing the view then all I could find were a long standing section in Construction and Use 1986 (that has not changed) and a change in the MoT rules in 2012.

The MoT rule change meant that examiners could no longer remove windscreen furniture to make the car pass the visibility criteria.

Construction and use says:

30.—(3) All glass or other transparent material fitted to a motor vehicle shall be maintained in such condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven on a road.

What is the law that says affixing a mobile phone holder is illegal even if it doesn't obstruct your view?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I never stick my phone, which doubles as my sat nav, on the windscreen. In my car and motorhome I use a Brodit mount - much safer and easier whilst still within my vision.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

I better get smaller wipers then ::bigsmile:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
De ja vous?

This subject was brought up last November:

Broken Link Removed

As far as I am aware the only change to rules, as has already been mentioned, is to MOT regulations re having obstructions to the prescribed 'swept area', which in reality only apply at the time of test.

The general Construction & Use rules are still the same and are only common sense really..... why would you want to deliberately block your view?

The previous thread was started as a result of a firm putting out information about windscreen mounts 'now being illegal'..... a firm that by coincidence was engaged in selling... dash mounts!

Simon
:thumb:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Here we go again.....Ah well :Doh:

amazing how us Beemer drivers ever manage to drive around eh?? no indicators, always on the mobile, no rear mirror etc.......:RollEyes:

and fwiw - from Oct 2014 you won't need to have the tax disc (which isn't technically a tax disc anyway but a Vehicle Excise Duty disc) displayed as it's being abolished

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...icle_excise_duty_-_administrative_changes.pdf

so more room for other junk!! :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back