Our Friday afternoon Swift Sundance. (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Just a little vent to keep my sanity.

We bought the motorhome last September and so far:
Warped washroom door, replacement looks little better.
Flyscreen broken on delivery, wrong replacement sent so still pending.
Electric steps broken.
Chassis bolts missing as per Swift safety recall.
Ceiling damp discovered due to badly applied roof sealing strips, still measuring too high for my liking.
Yesterday the Truma Combi boiler refused to work on mains electric giving an error message.
Only half the main cabin lights now work.

I'm now glad we bought from a dealer only 30 minutes drive away as driving half way across the UK to rectify these faults would be salt in the wounds.
This is our third Swift product, the 1st caravan was excellent, the 2nd produced damp after 6 months and this little beauty is driving me nuts:cry:

There, I feel better now, thanks for reading. I may put this up on Swift Forum and see if similar tales emerge.
We're selling our house shortly and if we get a decent wedge for it we may head over over to Essex and look at some Buerstners.
Seems ridiculous to do this after only 6 months of ownership but that's how I feel right now.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
They only let you say nice things on the Swift forum:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Swift - no change then!

So Swift haven't improved since 1997 then when I bought a Sundance. Within one week of delivery it was back with the dealer with a list of faults covering four pages of A4! Worst was the passenger seat belt bolt thread had been stripped and was only held in place with masking tape to "gob it" in! Not to mention delaminating veneers, dodgy bed slats, rattling windows...... Oh, such painful memories! I swore then I would never buy another Swift - and never did!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
German manufacturers have their own share of horrors as well, just for balance.

I also find generally ( as in not Motorhome specific ) that when there are issues, some German companies customer services attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Imagine in the voice of Herr Flick :- Vat do you mean, zat there iss a problem wiv our product? Impossible!

Mercedes being high up that list!

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
You're very lucky, you could own an Auto-Trail.
See my thread "Auto-Trail woes".
I've followed that thread, the stuff of nightmares.

They only let you say nice things on the Swift forum:ROFLMAO:
It's there but for how long::bigsmile:
sorry to hear of your woes, its great to have the motorhomefun forums to vent on xxxx
Yep, I feel a lot better now:Smile:

Thanks for the replies, I realise that simply because a product is German it's better is nonsense. After all the the Truma Combi that's packed up is German.
It could be that Swift haven't improved much over the years. I've no complaints about the dealer, lets see how they cope with this new raft of problems.
Just concerned now it may drag on into the season. As I said, thanks for the replies, a trouble shared etc.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My colleague has just reminded me of one of our customers that has been arguing with Burstner for a couple of years, as the windows keep breaking on their Elegance!

All manufacturers have problems, it is a small industry compared to the car market, small production runs and low tech in comparison

Admittedly better PDI and final checking could improve the situation but the more vans you sell, naturally the more disgruntled owners you will meet

I love all motorhomes :thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Admittedly better PDI and final checking could improve the situation but the more vans you sell, naturally the more disgruntled owners you will meet

I love all motorhomes :thumb:

Naturally, the more vans you sell the more faults are being put on the market place. ::bigsmile:

Of course you love all motorhomes. It's how you earn a living. :winky: :thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I assume the MH in the OP is second hand and bought from a dealer? If so, apart from the new electrical problems, the other faults are a dealer issue not a Swift problem. So it is a Friday afternoon dealer MH.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Proper PDI's generally sort out any problems BEFORE the customer gets their hands on it.

Accessories becoming faulty after handover, boilers, heating, fridges are not the fault of the converter or dealer as these are fitted to all motorhomes irrespective of make.

There are some modifications which can be made by a knowledgable workshop to prevent some problems in the future

Peter

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I assume the MH in the OP is second hand and bought from a dealer? If so, apart from the new electrical problems, the other faults are a dealer issue not a Swift problem. So it is a Friday afternoon dealer MH.

The MH is new. I accept that the dealer should have noticed the warped door and broken flyscreen on handover checking but they didn't fit them, Swift did.
The dealer also didn't seal the roof/cab joins, Swift did and badly as they also failed to fit all the securing chassis bolts.

I'm not clear exactly what the dealers are required to inspect before handover.

edit: Aaah, ninj'd by Peter ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Not related to this post at all but love the dog in your avatar.

Kath

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Not related to this post at all but love the dog in your avatar.

Kath
Thanks Kath, he's Archie the 18 month old miniature schnauzer.
Mad as a box of frogs but has a lovable nature and adores adults, kids and other dogs.
He worships my wife and follows her around like he's stuck to her left foot!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think that the manufacturer is academic, it is the dealer that you buy from.

Johns Cross being an example, who has any gripe with them? no one, they do the job properly, and have satisfied customers

That is why they are the only dealer that I would deal with if I were into European motorhomes

Eddie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I see you joined just last year. Search this forum and Facts and you'll find you are in one Big Club.

Don't mess about, go for the throat, sling it back, not fit for purpose, otherwise they'll just keep doing this.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The MH is new. I accept that the dealer should have noticed the warped door and broken flyscreen on handover checking but they didn't fit them, Swift did.
The dealer also didn't seal the roof/cab joins, Swift did and badly as they also failed to fit all the securing chassis bolts.

I'm not clear exactly what the dealers are required to inspect before handover.

OK, then both a Swift (for letting it leave their factory) and a dealer problem but the contract is with the dealer so as suggested by HD - reject the vehicle. There is some guidance on consumer law here if you start here and follow some of the links: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/51829/i-want-to-reject-my-faulty-new-car---what-can-i-do-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
OK, then both a Swift (for letting it leave their factory) and a dealer problem but the contract is with the dealer so as suggested by HD - reject the vehicle. There is some guidance on consumer law here if you start here and follow some of the links: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/51829/i-want-to-reject-my-faulty-new-car---what-can-i-do-
Thanks for the link, I was under the impression that a "not fit for purpose" refund/replacement was possible only if the faults could not be rectified.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
German manufacturers have their own share of horrors as well, just for balance.

I also find generally ( as in not Motorhome specific ) that when there are issues, some German companies customer services attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Imagine in the voice of Herr Flick :- Vat do you mean, zat there iss a problem wiv our product? Impossible!

Mercedes being high up that list!

From my own experience, Hobby are one of those arrogant German companies. You can phone or e-mail Hobby UK - they will never get back to you. Not only will they not speak to customers, they don't speak to their dealers either if they can help it. The one time I managed to speak to Hobby UK on the phone (at a dealer's when I was digging my heels in and about to throw a wobbler), they knew less about the installation of TecTowers than I did! :RollEyes:

Add to that a ludicrously long wait for any spare parts because they will only send them over from Germany in a large batch. :RollEyes:

And add to that the fact that they construct their vans with no thought whatsoever as to how you get to various components to repair/replace them, eg Truma boiler, water pump. :RollEyes:

I love my van - the layout is second to none and overall build quality is good. However, I would not buy a new Hobby ever again - purely because their customer service is so cr*p. :Angry:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've posted about this before. I bought a GL420 new from Mercedes and the gearbox was crap, really crap, they messed me about for about two years and then tried to fob me of by saying that it was a "known fault"

Then when I'd had enough they tried to knock me on my new one regarding the part exchange!

I am not anti any manufacturer, I just would hate to see someone sell a Swift to buy another make to find similar problems

Eddie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I always believed it was illegal to sell new goods knowing that they are substandard and faulty. however it seems that with swift and their agents and a few other manufacturers, they consider themselves above the law. hundreds of dissatisfied customers being fobbed off for the same faults is incompetence at the very least

myself, I bought a brand new swift in once, but never again. so many serious faults that neither the dealership (Marquis) nor swift were interested in fixing. I sold it on at a big loss within the year and have bought second hand (privately) since then. Never ever buy a swift group product again

This is not new news that swift build quality and customer services are beyond crap. there have been a few cases where the customer has won though. on more than one occasion they have given the customer their money back, but imposed a non disclosure clause on them. they wouldn't want it widely known that you can return such shoddy goods for a full refund under consumer law

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I also have a Swift Sundance (2007 model).

A seperate thread explains my problems with a rotten floor where the electric step fitted,

After a traumatic start to ownership I am now delighted with the M/H and have had no further trouble at all. (There, I've said it now ! Just wait for the problems to start again.) :Eeek:

You are VERY lucky if you buy a caravan or M/H without problems showing. The dealer is more important than the marque when it comes to ownership. A good dealer will put things right and make life much easier than struggling to get satisfaction from the poor dealer with low prices that you may be tempted to use.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Proper PDI's generally sort out any problems BEFORE the customer gets their hands on it.

Accessories becoming faulty after handover, boilers, heating, fridges are not the fault of the converter or dealer as these are fitted to all motorhomes irrespective of make.

There are some modifications which can be made by a knowledgable workshop to prevent some problems in the future

Peter

A serious question for you.

Do dealers inform the various MH and components manufacturers of faults that occur, other than making warranty claims or ordering new bits, and is there some form of meeting held with dealers and manufacturers to highlight faults ? Or is this just left to the manufacturers to work it out for themselves from the amount of aftersales parts they sell ?

If not, why not ?
After all, it must be in the best interests of all concerned to stop the seemingly growing army of disgruntled owners who vow never to buy another Acme Wishlist Deluxe motorhome again, and tell anyone who will listen.
Also it must harm customer relations with the dealer, who is the middle man and has to take all of the flack.

If there is, why are new MHs still being built with so many faults ?

Just thought I would ask you because you have such a good reputation and I expect I will get an honest answer from you. :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My service manager tells converters of problems and ways ro resolve them, most of the time we get ignored.

We sort our own problems out and dont have 'disgruntled' customers as such in the main, what others do is their business, if they cant be bothered to forestall what could be a problem in the future...........................

Peter

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I also have a Swift Sundance (2007 model).

A seperate thread explains my problems with a rotten floor where the electric step fitted,

After a traumatic start to ownership I am now delighted with the M/H and have had no further trouble at all. (There, I've said it now ! Just wait for the problems to start again.) :Eeek:

You are VERY lucky if you buy a caravan or M/H without problems showing. The dealer is more important than the marque when it comes to ownership. A good dealer will put things right and make life much easier than struggling to get satisfaction from the poor dealer with low prices that you may be tempted to use.

Our first van was a Swift Sundace 2007 model with exactly the same problem. Kept it for 6 months then got shot of it at a stupid amount of loss but got a decent van instead!Nearly three years on with no major problems and after having lived in it for the past 7 months we are very pleased with our german replacement!:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well, we love our Swift group motorhome.

It aint perfect but its ours and to date has given us very minor issues and no more than its continental cousins that we owned before.

the difference is in the bling. It's awesome.... comfortable, well kitted out, and loads of spacde. Bessacar e765....

Only wish is that they still made the same model as I would go and buy a new one tomorrow. Sadly they don't so we are stuck with it.:Cool:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
My service manager tells converters of problems and ways ro resolve them, most of the time we get ignored.

We sort our own problems out and dont have 'disgruntled' customers as such in the main, what others do is their business, if they cant be bothered to forestall what could be a problem in the future...........................

Peter

So there are no meetings between dealers and manufacturers to sort out problems at source. This could mean two things really.
That the manufacturers don't give a stuff about the customer or the dealer.
That the dealer is happy to make money from warranty claims and further ongoing repairs that should have been corrected at source.

The reason for the second assumption is that you edited your initial post, which read, "what others do is their business, we are not here to help the competition with our knowledge".
I can understand that you won't want to be helping other workshops do you out of trade by you giving them helpful information, but that seems a little harsh on the customer, who's choice is restricted and may cost more in travel expenses etc. to get to your workshop.

I'm sure you don't have disgruntled customers if you are the only ones who can fix their MHs, which really shouldn't be faulty in the first place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back