Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Writing to all agony aunts(and uncles) out there No motorhome fun at the moment. We had our transit converted motorhome set on fire on 18th Feb a total loss which ended our new adventure before it really started. Bought the van in 2012 and spent 3 months totally restoring and upgrading it before the conversion even started. then 6 months completing all the internal work and having it changed with DVLA to motor caravan. We retired in August and the adventure began, we had a brilliant couple of months before the weather broke learning the ropes about motorhoming etc. Especially the two of us erecting the new drive away awning which took us nearly an hour to kind of put up. We even had poles left over? Kept the neighbours on site in fits.
Now for the depression. We dont know what we`ll get back from insurance as we did not have an agreed figure and have been told that we will only get the market value of van as all the money spent to upgrade vehicle would be classed as maintenance. And because of totally incinerated habitation area, only my pictures of inside were evidence of work. And as such they would look at local ads to determine value There doesn`t seem to be any thought about money invested to improve the quality of this vehicle Hopefully we will get enough back to maybe start again, even dropping to a low value van Will post the ongoing saga as it happens. Anybody had same situation and what about insurance now?
Thanks for reading ....Bruce and Irene

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Fingers crossed that your insurance company gives you a decent price.

If you feel the 1st offer is too low turn it down and fight for more after all they ask how much a vehicle is worth and never pay that amount out

Sending you both big hugs

Start looking for another van now as it can take ages to get what you really want

Best wishes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Fingers crossed that your insurance company gives you a decent price.

If you feel the 1st offer is too low turn it down and fight for more after all they ask how much a vehicle is worth and never pay that amount out

Sending you both big hugs

Start looking for another van now as it can take ages to get what you really want

Best wishes[/QUOTE

Looking already to get ideas but frightened to get my hopes up plus we have probably lost the 70%NCD So what would new insurance be, I shudder to think, Anyway thank you for your very kind thoughts Bruce

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not your fault the van burnt, no accident or drivers fault, depending on how much you had the van insured for, I would go for that, can't see where maintenance comes into the equation, more like IMPROVEMENT !

They accepted the premium based on value as well

Peter

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
toby

Not your fault the van burnt, no accident or drivers fault, depending on how much you had the van insured for, I would go for that, can't see where maintenance comes into the equation, more like IMPROVEMENT !

They accepted the premium based on value as well

Peter

Thank you for advice I have told them basically what you have advised but they seemed very negative in their replies.I will wait for the outcome and will respond on this forum with the good and the bad, Hopefully the good
But what about insurance renewal, never been in this situation before so my heads imagining all sorts of things............Bruce

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Firstly I am sorry to hear of your misfortune - renewing ins will not be a problem just tell them what happened when you ask for quotes :Smile:Of course it goes without saying you will pay more and loose part of your no claims - you must also inform any other vehicles ins about it but it should not effect them
On the value side of things this becomes difficult as both parties have to agree what the van was worth :Eeek: this can be poles apart :Eeek: but when you took the insurance out they would have asked you the value or how much you paid so this is the only negotiating point you have as it's the ins co persons job to pay as little as possible :Eeek:They will try and drag it out in the hope they will grind you down and accept a low offer :Smile:Be realistic on your valuation :thumb: they don't take into account any of the hours of work you put into your van simply will look at same age/type and standard of conversion and come up with a value --if you don't agree tell them to replace the van with a similar one :winky: or pay up ::bigsmile:
When I did my first conversion a man I knew told me about agreed value ins as his van was nicked and the ins offered him 2k for his van yet he had a agreed value of 8k --the ins did not like it and tried all ways not to pay but he simply said you agreed the value so you pay the 8k :thumb:They paid up after a few days arguing ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Did you take photographs of your van when you were doing the conversion?
If you have a record of how your van changed throughout the conversion from a basic van to a motorhome that should be in your favour.
When David my late husband did his conversion he took photos of everything he did and they were submitted to the insurance company and dvla to prove it was a motorhome and not just a basic van.
Hope it all goes well for you:Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck with your claim. What an awful start to your retirement.

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Firstly I am sorry to hear of your misfortune - renewing ins will not be a problem just tell them what happened when you ask for quotes :Smile:Of course it goes without saying you will pay more and loose part of your no claims - you must also inform any other vehicles ins about it but it should not effect them
On the value side of things this becomes difficult as both parties have to agree what the van was worth :Eeek: this can be poles apart :Eeek: but when you took the insurance out they would have asked you the value or how much you paid so this is the only negotiating point you have as it's the ins co persons job to pay as little as possible :Eeek:They will try and drag it out in the hope they will grind you down and accept a low offer :Smile:Be realistic on your valuation :thumb: they don't take into account any of the hours of work you put into your van simply will look at same age/type and standard of conversion and come up with a value --if you don't agree tell them to replace the van with a similar one :winky: or pay up ::bigsmile:
When I did my first conversion a man I knew told me about agreed value ins as his van was nicked and the ins offered him 2k for his van yet he had a agreed value of 8k --the ins did not like it and tried all ways not to pay but he simply said you agreed the value so you pay the 8k :thumb:They paid up after a few days arguing ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

When you say tell other insurance companies do you mean insurance for my other vehicle which is with another insurer ........Bruce

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I would presume that when they gave the quote for insurance initially they based it on the fact that you were converting the van and it was for campervan ... often they give a time limite but not always.... so surely on this basis they have charged you for a converted van not just a basic van ... I would get straight down to a solicitor if only to send one letter and let them see you are not taking it sitting down.:Angry:

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
I would presume that when they gave the quote for insurance initially they based it on the fact that you were converting the van and it was for campervan ... often they give a time limite but not always.... so surely on this basis they have charged you for a converted van not just a basic van ... I would get straight down to a solicitor if only to send one letter and let them see you are not taking it sitting down.:Angry:

Yes they initially insured as a panel van with one year to convert just over £420 which include £80 which allowed me to drive during conversion they said I had to have this as the moment I put in even a cupboard or a seat it would invalidate the ins as a panel van. I finished conversion after about 9 months and asked them to change ins to motor caravan .They asked me what I thought the vehicle was now worth and insured for£242 Unfortunately it was not an agreed valuation. Again my problem is that much of the cost was born by friends, in the trades I needed, giving me materials and help etc, So no receipts. Surely this should not alter the value of finished vans valuation,............Bruce

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
No it shouldn't and if they say it should then argue the point. If you had paid over the odds for the jobs to be done they wouldn't take that into account in a claim and would still state the value of the finished work only....

Normally, at the end of the conversion or sometimes during, they ask for photos but at the end of the day it comes down to one thing only .... they took your money to insure the van knowing it was going to be converted and they should be responsible for their end of the bargain. You do need to see a solicitor in my mind but be careful which one you choose. There are some legal eagles on this forum I hope one of them comes forward with advice.. It is horrible when you are going through problems of this sort .. all too often I have walked away from situations like this but later regret it.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Very sad story:Sad: but as has already been said DO NOT LET THEM BULLY YOU:Angry: if you are a bit timid then please get help, google it, there is plenty of information out there, they rely on people not standing up for themselves, never accept the first offer.
As for insurance renewal if this is your only claim it shouldn't be to bad you will only lose a percentage of your no claims bonus:thumb:

Chin up, its only an insurance claim, thats what you have it for and after all no one died:winky:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When you say tell other insurance companies do you mean insurance for my other vehicle which is with another insurer ........Bruce

Yes, you do. It may affect the renewal on other vehicles as well - but then again it may not. You don't lose all the NCB, just a year as a rule unless you have "protected" NCB.

After my accident the insurance went up on my DH's car (I am a named driver) but then dropped and extra was refunded when the police confirmed I was not at fault.

The first offer for my written off car was a joke. I found other cars, same model, mileage, and sent the adverts, trade, private and auction prices so they could see what such cars reached in this area. They paid what I was happy to accept quite quickly - but then they were also paying for a hire car. You may be able to take a similar line? It doesn't have to be an exact copy, just the same base vehicle with a similar conversion. Ask them to find the equivalent for the money they are offering.

Please don't let it eat you up. It is so easy to think of all the work that has gone up in smoke but there is no future in allowing that maggot in. Be grateful no one got hurt. My personal injury claim dragged on for nearly 4 years and the insurance only made an offer the solicitor said was reasonable the week before the scheduled court date. I could have sat in a corner for those 4 years crying "poor me" but life is there to be lived.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Yes :Eeek: you are supposed to tell them of any accidents or claims regardless :Smile:-They will put it on your file and come renewal time ask if you have had any accidents/claims regardless of fault ---Better to tell them just in case you have a accident and make a claim then find out you have no ins because you failed to tell them about the fire :Eeek:
They will not penalize you on your car ins etc it's just that you told them and they can not then get out of anything - ins co's are getting smarter so best to simply be honest and tell them --they will probably say it does not matter but at least you told them :winky:
terry

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Yes :Eeek: you are supposed to tell them of any accidents or claims regardless :Smile:-They will put it on your file and come renewal time ask if you have had any accidents/claims regardless of fault ---Better to tell them just in case you have a accident and make a claim then find out you have no ins because you failed to tell them about the fire :Eeek:
They will not penalize you on your car ins etc it's just that you told them and they can not then get out of anything - ins co's are getting smarter so best to simply be honest and tell them --they will probably say it does not matter but at least you told them :winky:
terry[/QUOTE

Just phone the other ins company .They have recorded this and no change to policy..bruce

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just phone the other ins company .They have recorded this and no change to policy..bruce

Brilliant. Now to get the £s from the other company..... It will work out but it's a pain in the whatsit until it's settled.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Bruce - very sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience with your camper. It must be all the more upsetting because of the time, love and effort you put into building the conversion.

No doubt there will be some challenges with the insurance company - but I trust not too serious. I hope they 'play fair'. And, as everybody has suggested, don't hesitate to argue - in a cool calm manner - if their offer is not reasonable or acceptable. The more factual evidence you can provide the better, when it comes to stating your case.

Good luck and again - as others have said - don't let it get to you... too much.

Hope you'll soon be back on your travels. :thumb:

Mike

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Bruce - very sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience with your camper. It must be all the more upsetting because of the time, love and effort you put into building the conversion.

No doubt there will be some challenges with the insurance company - but I trust not too serious. I hope they 'play fair'. And, as everybody has suggested, don't hesitate to argue - in a cool calm manner - if their offer is not reasonable or acceptable. The more factual evidence you can provide the better, when it comes to stating your case.

Good luck and again - as others have said - don't let it get to you... too much.

Hope you'll soon be back on your travels. :thumb:

Mike

Thank you, fingers crossed ........Bruce

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Good luck with your claim. How sad to lose the m/h after all your work!

Insurance companies are becoming the new Banks for immoral behaviour towards cleints.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I had a no-fault clime with Aviva when it came to my renewal they tripled :Eeek:the premium on my car insurance when I asked them they could not answer they just told me that's watt the computer told them
COMPUTER SAY'S NO

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Writing to all agony aunts(and uncles) out there No motorhome fun at the moment. We had our transit converted motorhome set on fire on 18th Feb a total loss which ended our new adventure before it really started. Bought the van in 2012 and spent 3 months totally restoring and upgrading it before the conversion even started. then 6 months completing all the internal work and having it changed with DVLA to motor caravan. We retired in August and the adventure began, we had a brilliant couple of months before the weather broke learning the ropes about motorhoming etc. Especially the two of us erecting the new drive away awning which took us nearly an hour to kind of put up. We even had poles left over? Kept the neighbours on site in fits.
Now for the depression. We dont know what we`ll get back from insurance as we did not have an agreed figure and have been told that we will only get the market value of van as all the money spent to upgrade vehicle would be classed as maintenance. And because of totally incinerated habitation area, only my pictures of inside were evidence of work. And as such they would look at local ads to determine value There doesn`t seem to be any thought about money invested to improve the quality of this vehicle Hopefully we will get enough back to maybe start again, even dropping to a low value van Will post the ongoing saga as it happens. Anybody had same situation and what about insurance now?
Thanks for reading ....Bruce and Irene

Have just had conversation with the assessor for the claim and he has given me a valuation of £4000 which he will send to the insurance company.
This will be sent without prejudice whatever that means , however it seems to be a fair offer if thats what they pay out. Will continue to update as it happens............Bruce Thanks for all your kind thoughts

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
TOBY

Just had an assessor on the phone giving a valuation for £4000 which he is sending to insurance company without prejudice , Whatever that means.
Anyway we will see? Thank all of you for your kind posts.......Bruce and Irene

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think it means they can't use the letter in court against you ... but not sure.. Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back