Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I've lifted this post from MHF as I think it is important for anybody using the ferry to Santander.

"Hello everyone!
I am a spanish MH user.The reason for registering here, is to warn all those who have thought about coming to Spain, the problems that we are taking the MH users in Santander.The council has banned parking MH throughout the municipality, so that every camper parked, will be blocked, withdrawn by a crane and fined.
We hope to see you in Spain, but prevents the city of Santander.
A hug"

Sant1.jpg

Sant2.jpg

Sant3.jpg

Sant4.jpg

Sant5.jpg

Sant6.jpg

Well this is definatly not an urban myth.:Eeek::Eeek:

Safe travelling.

Don

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Beat you to it Don (although the abridged version) :ROFLMAO:
Link Removed

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Now, Don and Linda - I have no wish to detract from the warning that you are passing on, in any way whatsoever - it is a good and timely warning :thumb:

However, (I cannot read Spanish and I have never driven in Spain) if I were to translate that sign I would read it as saying " No vehicles over 1.8 ton allowed to park here unless you are a tourist.

Is that a common sense translation or what does the term "exceptos Tourismos" mean? Please remember, I cannot read Spanish - and I am definitely NOT trying to be argumentative - I am trying to consider whether your warning should be repeated in the Big Pitch guide for Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Beat you to it Don (although the abridged version) :ROFLMAO:
Link Removed

I did check before I posted it but it took me some time to load the pics. I don't know how to post them like you have.:Blush:

Anyway they can delete my post if the want to.::bigsmile:

Don

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
That is how I would have read the sign too Dick.....and your Spanish is probably better than mine :roflmto:
The thread, however, and the photos tell a different tale:Confused:

I have had a quick peek through Google but can't find any other reference to the problem myself hence "or so it would appear" in my thread :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I did check before I posted it but it took me some time to load the pics. I don't know how to post them like you have.:Blush:

Anyway they can delete my post if the want to.::bigsmile:

Don

Nooooooo....yours tells the whole story Don, I had to re-size the pics before posting that is why I didn't load them all.
Besides, it makes for good motorhome-related reading :winky:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Totally agree, Linda - I haven't read the thread on the other side but I have tried and tried to enlarge the photos to see if I could identify a number plate as being English or Spanish. No success - so I suppose it is much better to be safe than sorry - and to take notice of the warning.

Wonder what would happen if they came across an RV parked there?

ps - have decided to copy the warning into the BPG anyway. :thumb:

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Now, Don and Linda - I have no wish to detract from the warning that you are passing on, in any way whatsoever - it is a good and timely warning :thumb:

However, (I cannot read Spanish and I have never driven in Spain) if I were to translate that sign I would read it as saying " No vehicles over 1.8 ton allowed to park here unless you are a tourist.

Is that a common sense translation or what does the term "exceptos Tourismos" mean? Please remember, I cannot read Spanish - and I am definitely NOT trying to be argumentative - I am trying to consider whether your warning should be repeated in the Big Pitch guide for Spain.

Dick,

Your translation is correct of course they could be local vans and are not "Tourists" but one van appears to have a French reg.

I'm staying well clear of Santander in the future.

Don

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Spanish MHs

Are all the vans clamped and towed Spanish?

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
So what bright beaurcratic spark thought up this idea! Restrictions like this are hardly going to help tourismn - maybe we ought to do a forum petition to send to thier local council - or maybe its just easier to avoid the place.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
That's the problem - if we could see a number plate, it would prove or disprove the thread - however, I think as Don and Linda said - better to be safe than sorry and to take heed of the warning.

From what I have heard from other sources, the Spanish Police are not too much worried about the political correctness 'or not' of their actions in policeing the highways. They are quite likely to "tow first and argue later" :Eeek:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
So what bright beaurcratic spark thought up this idea! Restrictions like this are hardly going to help tourismn - maybe we ought to do a forum petition to send to thier local council - or maybe its just easier to avoid the place.

Perhaps if this thread were posted on all european forums, their tourism would suffer to such an extent they might just have to rethink their parking policies.Sounds like they are singling out a particular faction of the community.:Angry:

Avoid Santander

The power of the Motorhoming community might just be tested.

BTW I would read that as Tourists exempt as well.:thumb:

When is a tourist not a tourist in spanish views.If you overnight or stay a few days are you a tourist or temporary resident.:Doh:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you can afford the ferry to Santander then the fine won't be a problem::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long

Hi Dick,

One of the members of O & A lives in Spain and claims A 'turismo' is a family car.

We will have to wait for conformation from someone else but it would make sense given the sign.

Don

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Don

Unless i'm way off if the sign was to read except cars it would read

excepto coches coches is the Spanish for cars

I favour except tourism JMHO

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Cut & pasted from the thread on OAL forum.....the poster lives in Spain :winky:

"My car is registered as a 'turismo', my motorhome is registered as an 'autocaravana'. "

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys, google translate says that means "except cars"

Olley

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Yep - that I can accept, Olley.

Babel fish reckons that tourists are "Turisticas" so I think we should all heed the warning put up by Don and Linda.

Either don't go near Santander - or if you do, then don't park there in your motorhome.

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Dick,

Your translation is correct of course they could be local vans and are not "Tourists" but one van appears to have a French reg.

I'm staying well clear of Santander in the future.

Don

Errmm i think the sign says something different

No parking for vehicles over 1.8 tonnes except cars

A motorhome obviously isn't a car in Spain.
So being towed away

cheers

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back