can somebody please explain............. (1 Viewer)

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
why you see cars being towed behind MH's.
not trying to be deliberately incendiary, i genuinely don't see the rationale behind it!
FYI we have a scooter and a couple of push bikes if we need to explore........or a bus ticket.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Our situation a Push bike or Motorbike is not feasible.. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Buses are are a pain in the rear.,waiting for ages in a bus stop, either freezing or boiling depending on the country.
ALL THOSE MISERABLE DRIVERS.
Getting through the language barrier.
My fault for not learning Spanish or French.
Not knowing which stop to get off especially in a foreign country.
Have arrived back at our depart stop before now because we didn't know which stop to ask for ( in Spanish, Servile)
All those contaminated surfaces.
All those tatty and vandalised seats.
Never turn up on time.
Never goes where you want to go .
All good fun.
We wouldn't tow a car.
Especially where we have been over rough roads, especially Portuguese roads, phew are they rough.
The sump would have been off by now.
Not to mention the extra costs of a campsite and /or not getting on Aires because they are not allowed on some Aires.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
A toad gives us another option for exploring a wider area sometimes without moving the m/h off site.

We dont always take the car so we also use our bus passes, our legs or our bikes.

It's a personal choice which may not suit everyone.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
People who tow cars are often tuggers who've not made the full transition yet. :Smile: 99% of motorhome owners make do with Shank's pony or bikes. Of those that tow a car, there are a whole spectrum of reasons. The motorhome they bought is too big, or they cannot walk or cycle long distances through illness, injury, disability. Some do it because it means they score against the only real plus point of owning a caravan, you have transport on site. The rest probably do it because they can. :roflmto:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have a Garage large enough for my motor scooter and two electric bikes, and now I have a bus pass, though not used it yet.

I would love to tow a car just for the odd occasion I could do with one and if of course my circumstances were like Old Mo's or PaulyP's or many other funsters then I would have to tow a car.
:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In our case we are 8 miles from the nearest decent shops and here for two months.

Sometimes we put a motorcycle on a trailer and sometimes a car.
This time it is a car..

As we set up with awning, safari room, cooking facilities and storage it takes alomst a full day to tear down..
So to go shopping in the motorhome would be nuts !

There are others on the site with cars and in the past they have often been kind to us and given us lifts, but that is just unfair on others in the long term.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i aint got 1 yet but am thinking of getting 1 mainly for carrying all me booze back and it will have to be air conned to keep it cool ready to use :ROFLMAO:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i'll vouch for that :ROFLMAO:

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
My MX5 isn't capable of towing a caravan. My motorhome is quite capable of towing my MX5. Simples! :roflmto:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
why you see cars being towed behind MH's.
not trying to be deliberately incendiary, i genuinely don't see the rationale behind it!
FYI we have a scooter and a couple of push bikes if we need to explore........or a bus ticket.

Cars keep you dry when it raining.We often take a separate car and push bikes as well. No great rationale....its a free world :Smile:
We see more and more cars parked next to motorhomes on site.

barry:Smile:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
We prefer to stay in a good campsite and have days out exploring the region in this because its Fun:thumb:

Attachments

• 029 (2).jpg
    029 (2).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 41

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
I'm thinking of getting a toad to give the van on a push on the steeper hills.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
we have a toad so we can go to the supermarket to buy more wine

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You could ask why do people spend all that money on a motorhome when its cheaper to stay in a hotel?
because its what they want to do

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No way am I fetching Smudgers daily beer allowance on a push iron. Getting on public transport would be akin to carrying the Daily Mail in the street.....Alright until someone you knew saw you :winky:.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
what suits

when abroad like now just use the m/h [keeping an eye on the wieght] having to carry wifes mobility scooter breathing apparatus [etc] when attending a m/h fun meet its either car or trailer depending on what we intend doing when we get there,site seeing or staying on site, you do what duit,s your situation at the time, first time on a n/h fun meet in spain,manilva, really great bunch of peaple :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We tow a car in the UK, we don't in Europe.

We rarely stay for long at one place, and I have found almost no where we can't go in the MH though it's not a small one. We might put out the awning and chairs, but it's no big deal to drive off, just takes minutes. If we did stay ages in one place and needed to, car hire is pretty cheap.
Supermarket shopping in the MH while away is great, the stuff comes straight out of the trolley into the fridge etc.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
agree in a way

i would look at caravans and say
park in a a caravan park put out the awning and thats it done,,,

,, motorhome pulls up to sight awning out deck chairs out wife out and job done,, however ,,, towns are a wee walk or like me have a disibility in the family well with me its twins 21yrs in wheelchairs,,
,so i tend to park near towns have a bit of fun then wild camp at the end of the day,, so to me an option is caravan then car to the town,
i may think of that ,, its amazing what you get for your money with a caravan.. .

if i didnt need the wheelchairs then i would consider a small car behind the m/home,, small mind like a smart car,,,,,
just like lesters ,,,,,,,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fold-shrinks-Mini-fit-car-boot-motorhome.html

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
tow car

We tow a small car that allows us the freedom to go where all the able bodied folk go !
What's the difference between someone leaving a caravan onsite and a motorhomer leaving his vehicle !! both go offsite with their cars !! no difference simples !!
Depends too on who is coming to visit us could be our Fiat Cinquecento or our Mx5 (usually take that if going to Mx5 rally's) neither is heavy so mpg is barely effected !!
Btw both my wife and I are walking disabled, cannot walk very far..:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
People who tow cars are often tuggers who've not made the full transition yet. :Smile: 99% of motorhome owners make do with Shank's pony or bikes. Of those that tow a car, there are a whole spectrum of reasons. The motorhome they bought is too big, or they cannot walk or cycle long distances through illness, injury, disability. Some do it because it means they score against the only real plus point of owning a caravan, you have transport on site. The rest probably do it because they can. :roflmto:

best reply yet.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back