Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You might find this of interest...

Turkeys were once fattened with margarine as a test. People who paid to do this research demanded to get their money back when it killed the turkeys. As a result, they came together to figure out how to get use out of margarine to turn money back to themselves from what they had invested.

Margarine was originally white and had nothing appealing to it. This is when they added the yellow coloring. Then they sold it to the people as a substitute for butter. What do you think of it? Now they have a variety of types of margarines.

HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BUTTER AND MARGARINE?

Calories are about the same for both butter and margarine. With a little more saturated fats, butter has about 8 grams, where margarine has about 5 grams of saturated fats.

Did you know that your chances of having heart disease is higher by eating margarine? That's correct. It was found that women had a higher increase of 53% more than the women that ate butter in same quantity, according the Harvard Medical Studies.

We have had butter for centuries. Margarine with just less than 100 years.

That was about butter. Now how about some facts about margarine....

Their Trans Fatty Acids are very high. Remember the increased risk of heart disease? Margarine actually will increase your risk of coronary heart disease 3 times the amount of butter.

We know that LDL means bad cholesterol and HDL means good cholesterol. By eating margarine you raise the total cholesterol and LDL. It also lowers the HDL cholesterol.

Your chances of getting cancers are up to 5 times the amount as if you had eaten butter.

Margarine decreases your immune responses, decreases the insulin responses and ARE YOU SITTING DOWN??? Margarine is only one molecule away from being PLASTIC!!! Talk about nasty! Oh and it also shares nearly 30 ingredients of paint! NASTY...

Do you know what hydrogenated means? It is where hydrogen has been added and that causes a change in the molecular structure of the product it is being put into.

Try performing a simple test with a tub of margarine.... Leave the lid off of the tub in your garage or any area that is shaded. In a matter of just a few short days, you will see a few things happen:

- You have no flies of any sort that will touch it. hmmmm interesting now isn't it?

- The margarine doesn't rot or have a change in smell. This is because of the fact it has no nutritional value to it. Therefore, nothing will grow on it, like mold.

Again, the reason is because of it being an almost plastic product, not food product. Ever thought of melting your plastic bowls and lids to smear on a piece of toast? That is almost what you have there.

I have given you lots to think about, haven't I? Now, will you choose butter over margarine? It does cost more. However, isn't it worth it in the long run? For those of you that is lactose intolerant, butter will not work for you due to being a dairy product.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I read something similar a few years ago. Haven't touched margarine since, as for butter we only use it for cooking, i.e sauces. When making sandwiches or toast we only use the filling or spread the marmalade straight on the bread.
The range of spreads in the supermarkets is huge .:Eeek:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I love butter:Smile:

Margarine looks and tastes like axle grease:Smile:

Always butter for me.:thumb:

Hubby has Flora margarine yuuuk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When I grew up, the staple spread for our bread was Stork margarine. :Eeek: we've used nothing but butter for 25 years, the saltier the better::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have Clover.

Is that butter or margarine?

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
We have Clover.

Is that butter or margarine?

lets put it this way....its definitely not butter!!

but then again it not a true marg either...sort of better than later but not as good as the former

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had better go back to butter then:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's more complex. Margerines are high in polyunsaturated fats which reduce LDL, in other words it has a health benefit which you don't get from butter. However, margerine is higher in trans fats - which are bad for you. So take your choice!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All you butter buyers, French butter is best,:Smile: but when you're in the UK please don't buy Lurpak (Danish) Anchor (New Zealand) or Kerrygold (Irish)

Buy British Butter:thumb:

Reactions: kcy

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
All you butter buyers, French butter is best,:Smile: but when you're in the UK please don't buy Lurpak (Danish) Anchor (New Zealand) or Kerrygold (Irish)

Buy British Butter:thumb:

Or make your own. It's very easy and tastes much better than any you can buy.

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Salty butter

Hi Jim do you like swan butter and shirgar both produced in our area
Happy spreading ,
June and Dave

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Butter all the way, used sparingly. Clarified butter for cooking as the chemical make up does not change when exposed to heat, unlike most oils and definitely never cook with margarine.

That's what I was told by a nutritionist anyway.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Or make your own. It's very easy and tastes much better than any you can buy.

Never thought of doing that :Eeek:
How easy is it?
Must be much better for you as you will know what goes into it :thumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use Graham's unsalted butter or olive oil or sunflower oil depending on if it's going on bread or for cooking. I just don't like marg.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How easy is it?

My Grandparents had a smallholding and used to swap eggs for milk. Real milk where the cream came to the top. We would skim off the cream and put it into a clean, empty jam jar, screw the lid on tight and shake. You had to shake the jar hard and for a long time and your arms would ache after not very long..... eventually you hear and feel the butter "coming" into a lump. If you like salted butter you can add a bit of salt at the start. I don't like salt so don't add it. Salt is a preservative and butter does keep longer if you salt it.

Thanks ofr the memory - ages since I made butter!

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I have an ongoing debate with a guy at work about this very issue. I do not buy margarine, it's butter or olive oil for me. He is adamant I am wrong and his olive oil "spread" is healthier. So are these olive oil spreads better than margarine or butter or is it just another marketing con to make him think he is making a healthy choice. Does anyone know if the basis of these "healthy" spreads is really just margarine made to look better by adding some olive oil, surely the base ingredients are still synthetic? As far as I'm concerned natural is best and there is nothing manufactured or synthetic in butter. ::bigsmile:

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
How easy is it?

I have a couple of small pottery butter churns but at home I use my food processor.

Buy cream (any old cream) usually when supermarkets reduce the price 'cos it's near it's sell by date. Tip into food processor and switch on - it will soon thicken up. Keep going until the butter separates. The buttermilk can be used in all sorts of ways so don't chuck it away.
Wash the butter in fresh water and squeeze at least three times. The more liquid out of the butter, the longer it will keep - this is where butter pats or paddles come in useful but doesn't matter if you haven't got any as home made butter doesn't last very long in the fridge 'cos everyone eats it.
:thumb:
forgot to say - best for cream to be at room temperature before processing.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Wouldn't touch margarine, can't beat a nice bit of butter.
Clarissa Dixon Wright (one of the two fat ladies) spoke out against margarine and it was her godfather who was involved with the firm that invented it, He made her swear not to ever eat the stuff whilst on his death bed apparently.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont care either way...butter or marg.

What gets up my nose are pre-packed sandwiches with neither :Angry:

Mayo or pickle, while a moistener, will never be a substitute

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have an ongoing debate with a guy at work about this very issue. I do not buy margarine, it's butter or olive oil for me. He is adamant I am wrong and his olive oil "spread" is healthier. So are these olive oil spreads better than margarine or butter or is it just another marketing con to make him think he is making a healthy choice. Does anyone know if the basis of these "healthy" spreads is really just margarine made to look better by adding some olive oil, surely the base ingredients are still synthetic? As far as I'm concerned natural is best and there is nothing manufactured or synthetic in butter. ::bigsmile:

As I tried to explain in my earlier post it is not as black and white as the argument in the OP suggests. The polyunsaturates in some spreads are considered a health benefit but there are other things in spreads which are not good for you. The most healthy option is perhaps to avoid either - but the coq au vin I cooked last night wouldn't have tasted the same without the butter used to fry the shallots or the knob of butter added just before serving. We will go on a diet tomorrow. :Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As I tried to explain in my earlier post it is not as black and white as the argument in the OP suggests. The polyunsaturates in some spreads are considered a health benefit but there are other things in spreads which are not good for you. The most healthy option is perhaps to avoid either - but the coq au vin I cooked last night wouldn't have tasted the same without the butter used to fry the shallots[HI] or the knob of butter added just before serving. [/HI] We will go on a diet tomorrow. :Blush:

tried that last night but it isnt quite the same on egg and chips

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Never having tasted the disgusting stuff, I cant comment on if its good or bad. What I can say, is my mother informed me that only Glaxo was good enough for me. None of that National dried rubbish ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Butter only .. :thumb:

Some claim margarine is only one molecule away from becoming plastic.:Eeek:
and any I've tried I can believe it ..

Snopes says there is some truth in this .. http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

And here is the most disturbing fact......

Margarine is but one molecule from being PLASTIC..... (This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated, this means hydrogen is added changing the molecular structure of the food.)

You can try this for yourself, purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area, within a couple of days you will note a couple of things, no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it, (that should tell you something) it does not rot, smell differently... Because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it, even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow... Why?

Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp#tKgi8DrTSYAd7Yts.99

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Some claim margarine is only one molecule away from becoming plastic.:Eeek:
and any I've tried I can believe it ..

Snopes says there is some truth in this .. http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

The one thing that Snopes article debunks most of all is that "one molecule" scare story. It's rubbish. However, anyone who wants to believe it had better stop drinking water as well...because it's one molecule away from pure hydrogen.......or.......aaaarghhhh......bleach :wooo:

Plastics are made from milk, corn and sugar.....so if I apply similarly skewed logic we'd better avoid those as well :RollEyes:

More of that article ridiculed here.....by the New Zealand Heart Foundation :winky: And there are plenty of other articles doing the same.

Not eating margarine because it tastes crap I totally agree with.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Always eat butter,now I feel better about it:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.