What is a Full-Timer? (1 Viewer)

S

smee

Deleted User
Hi all, I have been a long time lurkur here and gleaned lots of good advice We are "full-timing" in europe, rarely stopping anywhere for longer than a fortnight and only longer if there is a lot in an area to explore. Retirement has ment that what we used to do for a few weeks a year we can now do full time. Full-Time holiday, travel, explore etc.

I have noticed that quite a few people in th uk live in a van full-time but they stay on the same site for year on end, or use it as a house and go to work everyday. Is this full-timing? Yes they are full time in a Van or full time in a field, but is that full-timing or is it just living in a van in a field, and if you are going to do that why not buy a house? at least that will be an appreciating asset. (most of the time0

So is full-timer a posh word for itinerants like Itinerant/Itinerant/ for those that use their van as a base to go to and from work and stay in the same place for months on end.

IMO the term Full-timer should be reserved for those that use a motor caravan for what it was designed to do, go on holiday, but do it 24/7/365.

Smee - a proper full timer

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
oh dear what a can of worms, can see a lot of response to this one. Some people live in their vans for financial(or lack there of) reasons, others because it was a temporary thing that evolved. there are many living full time but getting away when work allows. We are back to putting people in boxes with labels on. I have lived fulltime, been a new age traveller, used a van as a search machine whilst changing from one location to another looking for A PERMANANT HOME. Now live in a flat in town but have a smallholding in the countryside, stay there on the odd night. Not everyone has the time or money to tour fulltime, everyone who fulltimes on sites would love to but have ties to restrict them or don't feel the need, after all living in an American RV is splendid but touring in one with the cost of fuel these days quite horrendous. So there you go my poverty stricken roots are showing a little. It can be what ever you want it to be, no boxes, no labels, no recriminations. If I could take my garden, animals and radio tower with me I might well consider fulltiming.

Last edited:

alan and sue

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Funster No
Dismayed at this post thought that this site was called motorhome FUN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Smee - a proper full timer

BUT I BET MY DAD IS BIGGER THAN YOUR DAD !

P.S

Are you related to Roger Smee ?:winky:

Weekend Wanderer

Free Member
Apr 30, 2008
Funster No
Living in - full time

Hello
I am fairly new to the website and this is the first time I have plucked up the courage to respond. I have been wanting to ask advise about living permanently in our unit (not holidaying) but feel confused now that this may be frowned on. The reason we are thinking of this option is that my husband has been made redundant and this has come at a time when I have been advised to stop working due to my health. Big problem, how do we pay the mortgage. To cut a long story short. one option is to rent the house out and live in our caravan, until my husband's situation picks up, or to take the plunge, sell the house and use the money to buy the unit of our dreams. The thought of not having a house to return to is scary - has anyone else sold their houses to do this. If, (I mean when) my husband gets work again can he go to work from sites or is this not allowed.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Hello
I am fairly new to the website and this is the first time I have plucked up the courage to respond. I have been wanting to ask advise about living permanently in our unit (not holidaying) but feel confused now that this may be frowned on. The reason we are thinking of this option is that my husband has been made redundant and this has come at a time when I have been advised to stop working due to my health. Big problem, how do we pay the mortgage. To cut a long story short. one option is to rent the house out and live in our caravan, until my husband's situation picks up, or to take the plunge, sell the house and use the money to buy the unit of our dreams. The thought of not having a house to return to is scary - has anyone else sold their houses to do this. If, (I mean when) my husband gets work again can he go to work from sites or is this not allowed.

Why not give it a try ? There are loads of people doing exactly the same thing and feeling a lot better for it. Why would this be frowned on ?
Of course you can go to work from a site.
Selling the house is a personal issue. We did it 8 years ago and have never looked back ( yet ! )

There are 5 lots of fulltimers on the site we are on at the moment. None have a house, three have kids , and all work and travel as and when.

Link Removed

Weekend Wanderer

Free Member
Apr 30, 2008
Funster No
Full timing

Thanks for your reply. It is reassuring to know that others have done it. I suppose it comes down to having the courage to take the plunge. I worry about what if something happens to one of us and there is no home for the other one. Perhaps I just worry too much - we both love being out in our van and it has always been our dream.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
oh dear what a can of worms......
My thoughts precisely!

I'm still in full time employment, own house etc etc, but now in the process of planning an early retirement. Eventually i'd like to sell up and at least move...whether it be to a smaller cheaper property or fulltiming in a mh, i don't yet know. Not only does the planning take some time, but now due to the property market going bang, some houses are taking a long time to sell.

I'm in email contact with a mb member who has actually done this and bought a large mh to live in, though i think he may have sold his property off just before it all went belly up.

I would term this 'full-timing' though whether a person is still working or not is neither here nor there. It may be that a 'full timer' chooses to do the odd month or so of casual work whilst in the area. Does that really matter? I think not.

As you rightly say, finance dictates your lifestyle in the end.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

I read Smee's post last night. The whole motorhoming world knows and refers to someone who lives in his motorhome all the time as a fulltimer so what angle he is coming from who knows and to be more precise who cares!

As to the working from your van aspect if you were on holiday would you want every morning to have a fleet of vans starting up and heading off to work at 5am, diesel engines clanking away and waking you and if you have one your screeming baby!

For that reason and others is why there is a rule in place but if all you are doing is camping in your motorhome ( you might actually be living in it) and then instead of going out sightseeing you are heading off to work at a reasonable hour then I would be very surprised if you had any problem.

To the weekend Wanderer I would think through all your options. The benefits system is there to possibly help you out. Are you over 60? If so you are vulnerable. I know one couple who were in exactly the same position as yourselves and they were able to sell their house, put £100k in the bank and they got a lovely OAP bungalow from their council.

If not could you rent out a couple of rooms and still have access to your home? Just don't think fulltiming is your only option. If you fancy a few years of freedome travelling then try it but have an escape route if it all goes wrong. The fulltimers I have met where it has gone wrong are those who have been forced into it for financial reasons. Having to sell your house because you cannot afford it is not one of them,

stew

OP
OP
S

smee

Deleted User
Some interesting responses, its easy to see which of those that did respond and found not only that the cap did fit, they were wearing it :Smile: I did not wish to touch a nerve in you people especially those that want to spend a year or two touring wether you have a house or not , but if you live in a field and go to work everyday you are not full-time "holidaying" you are living in a field. If you did that in a caravan you might be called a lot of things, but full timer is not one of them.

Smee

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
You know, Smee, it's funny but we used to say the same things about the Territorial Army when I was a member of the 'proper' Army - I mean, they might wear the same uniform - but they weren't proper soldiers, were they?

Funny, though - if you saw one after he/she had been shot in Afghanistan/Iraq/Falklands or where ever - they actually bled the same colour blood as the rest of us!

Weird, isn't it?

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
HI

Tell us Smee, whats it like swimming against the tide? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But hey its impressive that you managed your second post so quickly, I wasn't expecting it for at least - ooooooh 8 months :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So is full-timer a posh word for itinerants like Itinerant/Itinerant/---------Smee - a proper full timer who wrote that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stew

alan and sue

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Funster No
Keeping up appearances

Some interesting responses, its easy to see which of those that did respond and found not only that the cap did fit, they were wearing it :Smile: I did not wish to touch a nerve in you people especially those that want to spend a year or two touring wether you have a house or not , but if you live in a field and go to work everyday you are not full-time "holidaying" you are living in a field. If you did that in a caravan you might be called a lot of things, but full timer is not one of them.

Smee

Has anybody else on this site seen the sitcom Keeping up appearances:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I know one couple who were in exactly the same position as yourselves and they were able to sell their house, put £100k in the bank and they got a lovely OAP bungalow from their council.....
Are you absolutely sure about this?

If this is a fact then all the 'over 60's' may as well sell up, cash in, grab a council flat or house, and go swanning off around the world on the proceeds. Somehow i don't think it's quite that easy....and if something sounds too good to be true, then it's generally because it is!

I cannot see any Council agreeing to house someone who is sitting on £100k stuffed in some bank account, and who has effectively made themselves homeless by selling up.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Wildman.........It wasn't you to whom I was referring...............................

it was the GREATSMEE............fulltimeholidayerextraordinair.

Link Removed

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years

Smee

I'm puzzled :Confused:
Why does it matter to you?
What has caused it to become an issue?
Has someone said something, have you had an argument?

:Smile:
Keith

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Motorhomers are usually those of a free spirit,that being so we do not like to labeled or put in little boxes, sorted into have and have nots, the spirit is free and so is the freedom of choice. I have in the past known many travelling people, Romany, Irish travellers, homeless, new age traveller, old age travellers, and commercial travellers, tinkers and also many idle rich who pay a fortune to achieve the very lifestyle they despise. I know who's camp I'd feel most welcome in There really is no point to this thread it is offencive and should be removed.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Smee

i really cant see where this is coming from or going.

i am a full-timer.....i live in my house full-time and i work full-time. i use my motorhome as and when i can.

anyone LIVING in their van 24/7 Is a full-timer whether they work or are lucky enough to have the money to holiday 24/7. THEY LIVE IN THE MOTORHOME FULL-TIME whether in a field, in a layby , touring 24/7 or on a permenant site

what you are refering to is a FULL-TIME HOLIDAY MAKER.

JOHN

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
'Fulltimers' - in our opinion.

We believe that it means to live in a motorhome/caravan or whatever, fulltime, 24/7, irrelevant if you still own a house, work full time/part-time, travel or not.

We lived and travelled in a motorhome back in the 80's for 6 years. We have just moved into our fifth wheel fulltime with the intention to be free to travel once we retire, if we want to.

Isn't it great that you have wheels on your home so that you can move, either be it to another space on the campsite or to another campsite, wherever it may be, if you can't stand your neighbours.

We still own a home which we rent out and get a nice little income from and know that if circumstances change and we need to go back to living in a house, we have that to fall back on, our choice entirely, not a necessity.

We are lucky that we don't have to live in our fifth wheel because we can't afford to live in a house or have hit hard times, but I can assure you we will be much better off financially for it.

Why try and put people into categories i.e. square peg in a square hole, let us be who we want to be - live and let live.

If you are travelling fulltime, what if you found a nice place to stay. You wouldn't say, Oh! I can't stay here too long otherwise I wouldn't be classed as a 'fulltimer' .

Fulltimers is just a loose term to describe people living in a motorhome/caravan etc. FULL TIME.

Keep smiling and have fun.

Nigel and Pamala - Sundowners

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

If this is a fact then all the 'over 60's' may as well sell up, cash in, grab a council flat or house, and go swanning off around the world on the proceeds. Somehow i don't think it's quite that easy....and if something sounds too good to be true, then it's generally because it is!

I cannot see any Council agreeing to house someone who is sitting on £100k stuffed in some bank account, and who has effectively made themselves homeless by selling up.

The couple I am refering to certainly did go this route but the chap had a heart attack and had to give up work so they could not afford their mortgage payments. I guess different councils operate differently and they might have been lucky

stew
(A fulltimer ::bigsmile:)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

Hi
The couple I am refering to certainly did go this route but the chap had a heart attack and had to give up work so they could not afford their mortgage payments. I guess different councils operate differently and they might have been lucky

stew
(A fulltimer ::bigsmile:)
Lucky? I'd say they've hit the jackpot.

Being unable to afford to pay off your mortgage because of illness is no excuse.....it's a dodge! This is precisely what people pay a mortgage protection policy for to take care of an event such as this if they are likely to have insufficient funding available from a works pension or lump sum etc.

People who decide not to pay a protection policy are taking a gamble that they will be able to pay the entire mortgage with interest. When they don't, or can't.....why should anyone come along and bail 'em out?

How he has managed to hang on to the £100 grand proceeds from selling up...and then walk into the local council and be given a council house simply beggars belief.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Lucky? I'd say they've hit the jackpot.

Being unable to afford to pay off your mortgage because of illness is no excuse.....it's a dodge! This is precisely what people pay a mortgage protection policy for to take care of an event such as this if they are likely to have insufficient funding available from a works pension or lump sum etc.

People who decide not to pay a protection policy are taking a gamble that they will be able to pay the entire mortgage with interest. When they don't, or can't.....why should anyone come along and bail 'em out?

How he has managed to hang on to the £100 grand proceeds from selling up...and then walk into the local council and be given a council house simply beggars belief.

wouldnt happen in scarborough.....you have to be a single mother living in a bus shelter to get into a DSS hostel in this town let alone a house. :Angry:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

wouldnt happen in scarborough.....you have to be a single mother living in a bus shelter to get into a DSS hostel in this town let alone a house.

have you tried? have you seen any single mums living in bus shelters - make a great news article if you have.

Another chap we met (fulltiming is great, you meet all sorts) was just about to move into a one bedroomed flat. He was struggling to make ends meet and found the campsite fees too much so got permission from a mate with a pub to park in the car park. The mate then "evicted" him. This meant the council had a reason to house him as he was being evicted. He was over 60 as well so it meant he was vulnerable.

I get the idea it works like this - if you are a round peg and the council have round holes then you slip through but if you are a square one and turn up demanding a house because you are British and have paid your taxes all your life and you faught in the war and why are you giving all these illegal immigrants a house then they just can't find a hole for that one other than the big one you have just dug for yourself :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stew

TravellingCliffs

Free Member
May 15, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 1999
Full timing

Might as well throw my cap in the ring here. Joan and I have been in the van since November 2004 and have loved pretty much all of it. A couple of thefts along the way, both in Spain took the shine off things for a while but we got over it and continued our travels. We rented out our house because Joan was keen to keep a base in the UK and it gives us a bit of income as well. I have an army pension and when in the UK, June to December ish, I do a couple of days a week HGV driving through an agency. This enables us to do lots of travelling on both sides of the water with the safety net of a home to return to if the wanderlust ever leaves us, four years into this adventure we are still as enthusiastic as ever. Does our lifestyle make us any less of a fulltimer than Smee? I don't think so. As has already been said, fulltiming has to suit the pocket of the individual and as long as it does not impinge on the pleasure of anybody else, what is the harm? Don't be so sniffy Smee, live and let live.
Happy fulltimers Tony and Joan

F

fordy

Deleted User
Glad to hear someone from our own country can get away with it after paying all their taxes for 45 years,,,, :roflmto: good on them .....

FORDY:Smile:
fulltimer

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
Oh Smee.

I live in a caravan,:Smile: I am the warden of a campsite,::bigsmile: I live in my caravan, full time, in what is technically a field, I AM NOT A Itinerant OR GYPSY,:Angry: WE DO NOT ALLOW GYPSY'S ON SITE, WE DO NOT ALLOW Itinerant'S ON SITE. Are you calling me a Gypsy/Itinerant.:Angry:

If I have read your posts correctly, you are saying that people who live in their motorhome all year are not full timers, eh?, People who holiday in their Motorhomes for a few months are full timers, Wha.......? And people who live all year in their caravans are Itinerants.

Dude, get a life.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::roflmto::roflmto:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:

Blondie and i have been full timing, in one form or another since 2002. We pay our taxes, NI contributions we pay VAT. The only difference is we sold the noose made of bricks and mortar, went into a boat for a few years, then a caravan. We have both always worked, and our careers can take us anywhere in the country, we do not have to worry ourselves with the ramifications of renting or buying, we hitch up and move on. In the sring next year we shall be purchasing an RV, The same will apply.

Full timers are not Itinerants/gypseys, Full timers are full timers, there is a world of difference, but this is a fun site, not a fact site. If it is the letter of the law and militant behaviour you want, then I can help you find another site that will help you out, if you want.

People here have a laugh together, good times.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Bit off topic but

Yes it does sound too good and its not that easy, however I know two married couples who are not skint who have sold their homes and are know comfortabley housed in council accomodation.

How its done when there are young kids who have no chance of buying or renting a private house goodnes knows

Jim:shout:

OP
OP
S

smee

Deleted User
Baldy. Thank you for emailing me and asking me to respond to your response. I hope won't disappoint you.

IMO there is no real difference between a Itinerant and someone who lives in a field and works full time. I full time in a "Holiday" vehicle. I am a full time holiday maker. Like I said earlier if the cap fits.

I have a life, full time holiday maker, you are a cleaner of toilets on a campsite if i wanted to be as rude as you I would ask you to get a life. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back