maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My van's water pump (Shurflo 2095) has started leaking from where the pump head joins onto the main body. When the pump is running you can see water seeping out all around this join - at other times it doesn't leak. It is working normally otherwise.

According to the exploded diagram in the pump manual, there is what looks like a gasket that presumably is meant to seal this joint. However, no spare part is listed for this gasket - only major parts of the assembly or the complete pump head. Does anyone know if it is possible to just replace this gasket?

Pump is still under warranty (for about another month) but by the time I drag the van back to the original dealer I might just as well pay for the pump to be repaired (or replaced) locally. Also pump is located under the Truma boiler (which is on a shelf above it) with little room to get at it (a Hobby design classic :RollEyes:) . By coincidence, the boiler is having to come out next week to have its electrical element replaced (under Truma warranty) so that would be a good time to get to the pump. There seems to be enough room in the locker to maybe relocate the pump to make it more accessible in the future. Or possibly (if pump is replaced) to repair the gasket once the old pump is out and reinstall it alongside the new one with a switch between the two so that I have a 'standby' pump all ready for when the next one fails. :RollEyes:

Any thoughts on repair or replacement, please? :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
mine also leaked in the same place.
i used Blue Hylomar automotive gasket cement to seal it.....previous owner had used silicon sealant which didnt work.

Hylomar is toxic but the minuscule amount needed hasnt caused any health problems.

many thing on those pumps, other than the valve block, is supposedly not replaceable including the microswitch....dont believe it, the manufacturers dont want you to repair it...they want you to buy a new one.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A new pump is less than £50.00.

Buy one and keep the good bits off the old one!::bigsmile:

A long term leak can cost you loads if water gets into the floor, is it really worth scrimping on preventative repairs?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
mine also leaked in the same place.
i used Blue Hylomar automotive gasket cement to seal it.....previous owner had used silicon sealant which didnt work.

Hylomar is toxic but the minuscule amount needed hasnt caused any health problems.

many thing on those pumps, other than the valve block, is supposedly not replaceable including the microswitch....dont believe it, the manufacturers dont want you to repair it...they want you to buy a new one.

Thank you for that. I've just looked up Hylomar Blue and it's readily available. Not worried about toxicity as I don't drink from the on-board water system. :Smile:

Would be happy doing that job myself once the pump was out but because I live in the van and don't want to be without water, I think I would need to get the pump replaced first and then keep the old one for future use.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

A long term leak can cost you loads if water gets into the floor, is it really worth scrimping on preventative repairs?:Eeek:

Our posts crossed - I'm already thinking along those lines. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
With the constant on, off and vibration the nuts do sometimes just loosen enough for them to weep. Try just nipping the screws a little.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

if my cars cooling system springs a leak, i fix it
If my household plumbing springs a leak, i fix it.
If my RV water pump springs a leak, i fix it.

To renew the pump just because it leaks is beyond me.

If it continues to leak i would replace it without question but to replace for the sake of it is environmentally unfriendly.....and not everyone can afford to replace everything which just stops working.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
if my cars cooling system springs a leak, i fix it
If my household plumbing springs a leak, i fix it.
If my RV water pump springs a leak, i fix it.

If it continues to leak i would replace it without question but to replace for the sake of it is environmentally unfriendly.....and not everyone can afford to replace everything which just stops working.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
With the constant on, off and vibration the nuts do sometimes just loosen enough for them to weep. Try just nipping the screws a little.

I did that first, Dave. Managed to tighten one very slightly but unfortunately it made no difference to the leak. :Sad:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

I get what you're saying but in my case if I whip the pump out while the engineer has the boiler out and try a repair only to find out once everything is back together the pump still leaks, then I've lost the opportunity to get the pump replaced easily. Things are a bit different when you live in your van - I can't just tinker with it from time to time when it's not in use. It's always in use! In any case, I'd keep the old pump and try to repair it so that I had a replacement for the future.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I get what you're saying but in my case if I whip the pump out while the engineer has the boiler out and try a repair only to find out once everything is back together the pump still leaks, then I've lost the opportunity to get the pump replaced easily. Things are a bit different when you live in your van - I can't just tinker with it from time to time when it's not in use. It's always in use! In any case, I'd keep the old pump and try to repair it so that I had a replacement for the future.

apologies Maz....didnt realise you are a fulltimer. :Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I did that first, Dave. Managed to tighten one very slightly but unfortunately it made no difference to the leak. :Sad:

Maz, This is a regular problem in Spain where they put a lot of chlorine in the water. The hardness of the water eventually forces the seal between pump and motor. We call it calk. If you are are able to remove the pump and break the seal you will find the white powdery stuff thats causing the problem. Get a small paintbrush and remove it with white vinegar, then smear a LITTLE Vaseline on the joint and re build. Making sure the screws are tightened properly. If this does not work, then am afraid its a rebuild kit.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
For the price of a new pump I would change it whilst you can easily get at it and keep the old one as a spare.

That will guarantee that the new one will never go wrong:thumb:

Peter

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
For the price of a new pump I would change it whilst you can easily get at it and keep the old one as a spare.

That will guarantee that the new one will never go wrong:thumb:

Peter

Yes, I think that's the way to go. I'll be ringing the workshop tomorrow to ask them to order me in a pump as well as the Truma element. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back