Campsites near Liverpool, suggestions please. (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yep I know, not everyone's first choice of destination for a weeks break. I have annual leave and he doesn't!

His needs are - a campsite with in easy striking distance of Liverpool, near a train station (shortish bike ride away).

My needs are - coastal or countryside, not massive, not built up, nice scenery.

We might stay 2 or 3 nights at Frodsham as that worked well in December when he had to work in Liverpool, but would like another place to move on to mid week.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Look at Thursaston if you can get on, everthink you want, Great scenery/walks, cycle along the Wirral way to West Kirby and you can get a train straight into Liverpool or buses every 8 minutes.
Dave

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Otherside of Liverpool, Southport is nice for shopping, beach not bad for walking the dog. best site is the scout waterside site, CCC 5 cl, some electric hookup, train direct to Liverpool. Larger Caravan club site in Southport, but expensive.

Ainsdale, 10 min bike ride to station, there are two sites one Plexmoss, a bit basic, but half hour walk to Formby, lovely village 15 minutes walk to sand dunes, great walk along railway to Freshfield 'red squirrels', then get the bus back from the station to Woodvale, (5 min walk back to site. The second site Willowbank, much as Plexmoss, but more expensive and larger.

Baz:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sandra its probably not what your looking for but when I ran the half marathon last year I stayed on the car park at the docks, the entrance is just across from McDonald's. As soon as I parked up the attended arrived in a van and told me it was fine to stay overnight as long as I bought a ticket and they would keep an eye on me with the CCTV, this is how he seen me enter car park. I stayed for two nights with no problems so might do for a night or two.

This way you could do loads of shopping while Colin works :ROFLMAO:

We have also stayed at Southport CC site and got train to Liverpool.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sandra its probably not what your looking for but when I ran the half marathon last year I stayed on the car park at the docks, the entrance is just across from McDonald's. As soon as I parked up the attended arrived in a van and told me it was fine to stay overnight as long as I bought a ticket and they would keep an eye on me with the CCTV, this is how he seen me enter car park. I stayed for two nights with no problems so might do for a night or two.

This way you could do loads of shopping while Colin works :ROFLMAO:

We have also stayed at Southport CC site and got train to Liverpool.

Gerry my dear, I know your Scottish, penny wise and all that, but I am most definitely not spending the last of my annual leave allocation in a car park opposite a blurry McDonalds. I want hills, scenery, beaches, the wind in my hair, long walks with the dogs, as I will be all on my lonesome every day until about 6pm ish, I need something nice to look at.

To make matters worse he has just told me I have to drive the van there myself as he will be in Liverpool from the Friday and I can't leave till the Sunday as I have to work at the sodding Sport relief event! Please bear in mind my dear friends that I am not usually allowed anywhere near the steering wheel as he can't stand sitting in the right hand side passenger seat! I have driven our van for the grand collective total time of about oh I don't know..... 40 mins! Sorry no, 45 minutes if you count being allowed to drive it at Uttoxeter race course to empty the bog!!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We will be visiting Liverpool as a follow on from the Chester Food Fair. We have chosen to stay at the C&CC site at Delamere Forest. There is a train station next to the site where you can catch a train into the city centre of Liverpool.

Brisey.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We would second delamere forest. Lovely site.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
If you are a member of CC there is a farm CL on the outskirts near bus and railway but close to a main road (noisey?) £10 inc ehu. Page 403 in the CC book.::bigsmile:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Liverpool

Hi, Armytwowheels I can recommend Busmans post Thurstaston camp site cc its next door to a very big caravan site that has its own little club and looks nice and just a little way down the road is wirral country park which has great views of the dee and north wales and has a cafe :thumb:Southport camp site cc is curently having a makeover so may be a little noisy ,but is a good site near a big supermarket next to a park and a short walk away is the shuttle bus into the town centre from a big car park Southport is a pleasant shopping place with nice walks and has a nice swimming pool near the site:thumb:Delamere ccc site was a pleasant site with lots of country walks and is next to a railway station for direct travel to both Chester and Liverpool and not forgetting its on the edge of a forest its just a pity that there are no sites in the Liverpool town area as there are so many new hotels in the city, there is so much to see and most of the attractions are free its a different place now from where I grew up have a great time where ever you end up :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just worth checking first.... Delamere Forest itself is actually closed to walkers at the moment so worth checking as you would be limited in the day. This is due to storm damage and dangerous heavy hanging branches...

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you for all the help folks. Following a bit of research on your recommendations, I think I'm going to split my week between Delamere Forrest (after checking out Joys warning about the Forrest being closed) and the Thuraston site.

Really appreciate the help.:thanks:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Gerry my dear, I know your Scottish, penny wise and all that

Sandra I hope you know I totally resemble that statement :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't believe a women wouldn't want to be right next to the shops Colin must have you well trained :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
stay South port

I was in south port half term,
opposite Morrisons £7 per night Mt loo fresh water no hook up big metel gate just pull in and look for Barbara in RV or office if not there just park up an she will see you upon her return, it's car park for old funfair can't miss it along sea turn towards Morrison and left into gate way hope this helps :ROFLMAO::RollEyes::thumb::thumb::thumb:

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
sands pub nr Pontins

opposite Pontins south port there is a nice pub called sands you can stay in there car park but no facillities good food good prices

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Gerry my dear, I know your Scottish, penny wise and all that

Sandra I hope you know I totally resemble that statement :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't believe a women wouldn't want to be right next to the shops Colin must have you well trained :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am not allowed to shop as we are decluttering our house/life. Actually do not enjoy shopping that much, I must be a freak of female nature! :Blush:

Now I've got my head around this semi solo holiday and having to drive the van, I am quite looking forward to it.:Smile:

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
The Sands pub near pontins is a decent stopover, no food at pub in the evenings. If parking up, back onto the side facing the pub, not the side facing the lake as our furry friends use the track next to the lake.

EVVO

Free Member
Sep 10, 2009
Funster No
Delamere forest not closed. We are there now. Couple of hours walking through the forest today. Lots of work being done with trees down and notice on 1 path saying closed. Site busy (full) so worth checking.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If you go to Liverpool-
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgPeZu_Ivho&list=RDoLpOpTgQLQA"]IN MY LIVERPOOL HOME - YouTube[/ame]

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Delamere forest not closed. We are there now. Couple of hours walking through the forest today. Lots of work being done with trees down and notice on 1 path saying closed. Site busy (full) so worth checking.

That's good. Last week it was all closed and there ws no camping on the car parks.... Well worth a drive up there now.:thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Bigfoot that was good. . . . the only photo missing of importance is the one of the Funster flag as you enter the Docks from the main road. . well THAT was there a few weeks ago .. my updates on this thread seem out of date.:Doh:

kimmy62

Free Member
May 6, 2013
liverpool
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs
I'm in Liverpool if you fancy meeting up. No pressure, I live in the boho bit, loads of cafes, Sefton park.... S'all good.....

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Kimmy you could go to the Egg Cafe for Bohemian.... :thumb: behind the old John Lewis and up the windy stairs.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
:Smile:Kimmy you could go to the Egg Cafe for Bohemian.... :thumb: behind the old John Lewis and up the windy stairs.
Or the Leaf in Bold Street,my favourite is the Ma Bao opposite the Blackie,its where the Chinese eat! Or if you like a good Indian the Asha at the top of Bold Street

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back