Poll: Where should UK aires be sited? (2 Viewers)

Where should UK aires be sited?

• Total voters

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There has been a discussion elsewhere about the possibility of annexing parts of (or extending) existing Caravan Club sites to form aire/nightstop areas for motorhomers who do not need/want the full facilities on offer with a normal pitch.

Leaving aside (for now) potential prices and whether or not fresh water/waste dumping &c would be included I just wondered how popular such locations would be as against aires/nightstops close to town centres.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
one of the main issues with CC sites for us motorhomers ( IMHO ) is that they are away from towns and villages, so while we might use such facilities they would not be ideal.

the success of french aires is generally their close proximity to town, village, attraction

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
that said i would be more picky about car park use in the UK than in France, probably just a physiological:Doh: thing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
one of the main issues with CC sites for us motorhomers ( IMHO ) is that they are away from towns and villages, so while we might use such facilities they would not be ideal.

the success of french aires is generally their close proximity to town, village, attraction

That's my thinking too Phill but other views have been expressed elsewhere so that is why I set up the poll.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have voted but it will never happen in the uk the government and local council's are to corrupt and there wouldn't be anything in it for them.
Un like the the continental's who are motor home friendly and don't want to fleece the tourist of every penny they have.
bill

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If they annexe part of CC sites and use the same petty rules as they do at their sites, I for one wouldn't use them.
"Park against the peg" my :moon2:

Allan

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have voted but [HI]it will never happen in the uk[/HI] the government and local council's are to corrupt and there wouldn't be anything in it for them.
Un like the the continental's who are motor home friendly and don't want to fleece the tourist of every penny they have.
bill

Err, may I mention Chester, St Annes, Powys (several locations), Canterbury, Malvern, Upton-on-Severn, Abingdon, Bury St Edmunds, Willenhall?

Not many granted but there are other councils looking at providing facilities - Weymouth, for instance, due to come on stream later this year.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Always said that councils should make it a condition of planning consent for supermarkets & shopping centres to provide an aire

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If they are not town centre then one may as well use a CL because they will be the same price. After all you don't expect free aires in the UK do you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Being as knowledgable as a search engine is there something you know that we don't! :winky:

Vlad

Ps
I'd use one where ever it may be.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can we assume that Aires sited on CC sites would also be open to caravans and the like?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
That will never happen. Retailers are in the business of selling goods not running caravan sites ::bigsmile:

Why not, all kinds of deals have been done with developers before including building schools, putting new roads in etc.
It wouldn not cost much, just an area of car park with a tap and a drain. If they put time limits like 18.00 to 09.00 that would be better than nothing .

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Maybe more dealers and companies supplying to the after market should offer FREE aires.
The benefits could well outweigh the cost as people may actually buy a new van/solar panel/awning etc especially if they could pitch up free for a couple of nights whilst things were fitted. Dealers could have a couple of try it before you buy it pitches. After all must of us upgrade our vans at some stage and dealers may well make a sale, not all the time admittedly but probably enough to merit an aire. Most of us don`t have a dealer just round the corner.:roflmto:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
One issue not mentioned yet is one of the prime cause's of unfriendly attitude towards Motorhomer's is the fact the council's/ local government inability to recognise who and what is a Motorhomer and who is a 'traveller' and the absurd expensive lengths the council's go to to stop the traveller's taking over the public parking facilities...another reason why most of the Uk public car car parks are barriered...I would be interested to know how the council's proposed UK Aeries site's will prevent Travellers taking over when they arrive as they do in their droves!.... how come the French appear to have resolved this issue:Sad:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why not, all kinds of deals have been done with developers before including building schools, putting new roads in etc.
[HI]It wouldn not cost much, just an area of car park with a tap and a drain.[/HI] If they put time limits like 18.00 to 09.00 that would be better than nothing .

And the lawyers to deal with the site licensing issues &c &c

You never know though, it might work. Perhaps it's worth suggesting to the council next time there's a retail development near you.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe more dealers and companies supplying to the after market should offer FREE aires.
The benefits could well outweigh the cost as people may actually buy a new van/solar panel/awning etc especially if they could pitch up free for a couple of nights whilst things were fitted. Dealers could have a couple of try it before you buy it pitches. After all must of us upgrade our vans at some stage and dealers may well make a sale, not all the time admittedly but probably enough to merit an aire. Most of us don`t have a dealer just round the corner.:roflmto:

Good idea, why not have a word with the dealer you bought from?

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One issue not mentioned yet is one of the prime cause's of unfriendly attitude towards Motorhomer's is the fact the council's/ local government inability to recognise who and what is a Motorhomer and who is a 'traveller' and the absurd expensive lengths the council's go to to stop the traveller's taking over the public parking facilities...another reason why most of the Uk public car car parks are barriered...I would be interested to know how the council's proposed UK Aeries site's will prevent Travellers taking over when they arrive as they do in their droves!.... [HI]how come the French appear to have resolved this issue[/HI]:Sad:

Because they don't have the UK version of the HRA and associated legislation put in place in the late 1990s.

Don't blame councils when they have no option but to abide by national legislation.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Knowing that town well Graham, i would NEVER have used it. That would colour my views on other towns.
n France we use out of the way Aires, in UK we use CL and CS's. :thumb:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Knowing that town well Graham, i would NEVER have used it. That would colour my views on other towns.
n France we use out of the way Aires, in UK we use CL and CS's. :thumb:

I take the point Ken. One problem, though, is that the UK is so small there are very few out of the way places ::bigsmile:

I've queried before whether or not the CL/CS network obviates the need for aires and I think it does for many (certainly when taken together with meets/THSs, which we like).

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
a lot of towns and city's have park and ride sites on the outskirts,that are not used at night,part of these could be used as overnight parking for motor-homes,offering good bus access for visitors during the day:thumb:

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I did mention this to the dealer where we bought and they said good idea but thought their site too compact at the moment although could be a possibility when they expand.
But wouldn`t it be nice to take a good look at all that dealers have to offer without having to clock watch for the journey home.:Smile:
Those that do offer pitches should advertise the fact as I know at least 2 dealers who do
And by the very nature of their business selling motorhomes worth thousands, vandalism probably wouldn`t be an issue

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
One issue not mentioned yet is one of the prime cause's of unfriendly attitude towards Motorhomer's is the fact the council's/ local government inability to recognise who and what is a Motorhomer and who is a 'traveller' and the absurd expensive lengths the council's go to to stop the traveller's taking over the public parking facilities...another reason why most of the Uk public car car parks are barriered...I would be interested to know how the council's proposed UK Aeries site's will prevent Travellers taking over when they arrive as they do in their droves!....[HI] how come the French appear to have resolved this issue:[/HI]Sad:

It's never resolved.. you still see aires taken over by travellers, but in France it is easier to move them on.. no courts involved, and few argue with a 9mm pistol.

As to Graham's question..

Not interested in sleeping in town centre car parks .. (aires)

Useful if there were more on major routes,.. but the UK is such a small country you can literally go from one end to the other in one or two days and MSAs already provide an overnight parking facility..

A CL is my prefered stopping place.. however, many don't provide all weather hard standing.. essential in winter .. so that can be a problem. but many CL owners just don't make enough money to justify the expenditure of laying it.

Many CC sites have late arrival areas for members who have pre booked a pitch and are arriving after 8pm ... They are charged the same nightly fee and you have access to all facilities, including an EHU .
I can't see them changing the rules to let non members use for a reduced pitch fee. That just won't happen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back