Stitches removed in France or Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I had a minor op today in the doc's surgery. The doc told me he could not use dis-solvable stitches. The trouble is that I am off to France/Spain next Friday. So that means that my stitches need removing when I will be in Southern France or Northern Spain (depending upon weather and whim). They can normally be removed by a nurse.

Can anybody advise where I can get this done please. Do I have to go to a hospital, or will a local doctor do it? Any advice on how to find said doctor's surgery would be useful as I have never had to see one in all the time I have travelled abroad (lucky me).

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Unless the stitches are in a place that is particularly sensitive or difficult to reach, I would be tempted to take them out myself. I've only had a few stitches but I spent longer sitting in the doctor's waiting room than I spent with the nurse who removed them in a few seconds.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Unless the stitches are in a place that is particularly sensitive or difficult to reach, I would be tempted to take them out myself. I've only had a few stitches but I spent longer sitting in the doctor's waiting room than I spent with the nurse who removed them in a few seconds.

On the top of my head so I can't do it and my wife does not fancy it (or removing the stitches)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Shame; a pair of scissors & some tweezers + a couple of mins - all done.

Others will be able to help you more than I can now.

Good luck.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Funsters who live in France will firm up the details of what I am about to say. (Like Frankie)

In France every small town has a "Nurse" often operating from their own homes who carry out small things like removing stitches, giving injections etc.

Whilst in France I had to receive a course of injections and as we were coming home from the Med it meant every day finding one of these "nurses" for the injection. I did know what they were called then but since I have forgotten.

But it was easy and nothing to worry about.

Norman

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had stitches put in and taken out several times in pharmacies in France. Just call in and they will sit you down in the shop and do it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A pharmacy may do it for you as it's nothing major and they offer services there that you would normally only get in the UK at a doctors surgery. If not and they feel you need to see a doctor they can easily point you in the right direction!

Removing stitches isn't difficult but can be a bit awkward if you're not very dexterous however using a small scalpel (no pun intended! ::bigsmile: ) or a craft/DIY knife (the type with snap off blade end) would do the job too, probably much easier than scissors anyway - just sterilise whatever you use first. The only caveat is if the wound hasn't healed as it should, or looks inflamed do NOT touch it but get it looked at as you may then need to leave them in longer and/or get some antibiotics.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have a word with your own GP's nurse. They may be able to take them out before you go. I know that the advice is 7-10 days but it need not be hard and fast. It's worth asking if they'll take them out on 6th day. They can either say yes or no.

Wyn
(Ex A&E Charge nurse)

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have a word with your own GP's nurse. They may be able to take them out before you go. I know that the advice is 7-10 days but it need not be hard and fast. It's worth asking if they'll take them out on 6th day. They can either say yes or no.

Wyn
(Ex A&E Charge nurse)

The nurse was there and said the same - in fact it was her who told me more about it than the doc

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Just call into the local Tourist info office, they will direct you to the nearest nurse, or pharmacy who carry out minor procedures.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
leave the stiches in long enough so that they go a little pussy (that's as in pus not puss :winky:) and they will slide out with no problem......:ROFLMAO:

as an ex-rugby player I was on the end of minor stitches many times - my missus always took them out.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Guess what the nurse told me NOT to do ............

to be honest, if you can leave them in so long that they do go a bit pussy, you're a better man than me. they will be sooooo irritating by that stage you'd rip them out yourself! :cry:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Do not take them out yourself - believe it or not there is a technique and it's designed to stop re infection. You do not want the exposed stitch
  • Going underneath the skin and introducing infection
  • Breaking underneath skin and getting stuck by the knot

Best bet is as suggested go early and if not quite healed the nurse may be able to glue/steri strip
Or
Pharmacist abroad

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Guess what the nurse told me NOT to do ............

and with good reason!
Also there is more to it than just blindly removing the sutures. It ensures that the wound is adequately assessed and, if necessary, any further intervention required - especially to try to ensure that it does NOT become pussy!

Wyn

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
and with good reason!
Also there is more to it than just blindly removing the sutures. It ensures that the wound is adequately assessed and, if necessary, any further intervention required - especially to try to ensure that it does NOT become pussy!

Wyn

Actually both the doc and the nurse suggested that my wife could take them out. What the nurse told me NOT to do was let them get pussy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do not take them out yourself -[HI] believe it or not there is a technique and it's designed to stop re infection. [/HI]You do not want the exposed stitch
  • Going underneath the skin and introducing infection
  • Breaking underneath skin and getting stuck by the knot

Best bet is as suggested go early and if not quite healed the nurse may be able to glue/steri strip
Or
Pharmacist abroad

good point......i believe, from distant memory, the stitch should be cut very close to the skin at one end to prevent contaminated thread being drawn through the wound

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On the top of my head so I can't do it and my wife does not fancy it (or removing the stitches)

Why were they putting stitches in your head ... brain transplant perhaps? I suppose for a man that would be minor surgery, no point in putting anything 'major' in there to just go to waste!!! :ROFLMAO: :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
now heres an idea......

Cut BOTH ends very close to the skin.

Your skin will grow over whats left in a week or two :thumb:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you are coming this way I am sure that with some of Ken and Steph's vino inside you you will not notice them coming out! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you are a bit worried about that then we will run you down to the local pharmacie where they will whip them our in no time flat.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back