Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I scraped part of my near side front wing driving into a narrow gateway. No damage to the metal but the top coat has been scraped. How feasible is it to home spray an area about six inches in diameter at home?
It is a metallic paint, Peugeot 611. Will I need to put lacquer on top etc. never done this with metallic paint.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Spray painting

Hello Johnh Leave it to the professionals I had a small paint job done on my car the man did a fantastic job and touched up all the stone chips of which there were many and when he had finished you could not spot the difference and all for £100 :Smile:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
you will need base coat and lacquer if its gone thru the colour coat, and then various grades of wet and dry, T cut, and polishing compound, plus a warm atmosphere, preferably inside, and insect free. Materials could be up to £50. You can watch how to do it on utube. Many folk put up with minor scrapes till some thing more happens, and get them done at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If it is silver ,you will see that you have tried to repair it.:Eeek:

Silver is one of the worst colours to blend in as you have to fade it out over a larger area, then blend out the 2k clearcoat as well.

For what paint retailers will charge you for (what you need sir) which will be a big box of enough materials to paint a car , you be better off letting a professional repair it.

Probably cost around £ 120 --£180 to repair:thumb: and if you do not like it , you can tell them to put it right ::bigsmile:

If you attempt a repair ,then take it in after for a pro repair ,it will cost more to fix what you done - sorry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You will never get the result that people like Chips Away and other franchisers accomplish.

Leave it to those who know how!

Peter

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I Guessed the answers before I posted. I have just moved to a new town and do not know any body shops here. So it will be Yellow Pages.
Thanks to all.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I Guessed the answers before I posted. I have just moved to a new town and do not know any body shops here. So it will be Yellow Pages.
Thanks to all.

Find a local independent Garage or Car Sales and ask who they use for paintwork :thumb:
If they all say vehicle is to big find local Van sales and ask again
G

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I really abide letting anyone work on any of my vehicles, much preferring to do any work myself, but......

had cause to use Chips away.. Bloody amazing is all I can say.
It was on a red car ( notorious for fading ) and he STILL managed to get an absolute perfect match.. Happy to recommend

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back