LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont know if any of you funsters have ever used the Les Routier restaurant system in France, but if you have not I will try to explain what its all about. For anyone transiting France on the RN you will have seen the Les Routier signs at some restaurants, its a red a nd blue round sign with the logo on it. These are really truck stops and give good food at a reasonable price. They have set menus at lunchtime and evening meal times with ample parking. I have used them extensively when I was working and always use them with the motorhome. They allow overnight parking if you eat and most have shower facilities. The set menu price is generally below 13 Euros, so wont break the bank, and you get secure overnight parking for free. Obviously some are better than others, but the majority are very good indeed. The best ones will start to fill up at around 5 PM with trucks, so are easy to spot. I found a good website which rates the best of them, so no need to book a campsite when in transit, and you dont have to do the dishes. Bon appetit :thumb:.
http://www.resto-routier.com/

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings Snowbird,

Thanks for the site.
We have a Les Routier book but it's a couple of years old now so it's not bound to be up to date.

It can be a bit daunting, walking into one of the restaurants, dressed in your holiday gear with the word BRIT tattooed in invisible ink that only our gallic cousins can see and read but as soon as you attempt the old franglais at reading le menu everything usually works out.

We enjoy the challenge.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Takes me back to my teenage days travelling through France. Could always get a good meal (and sometimes a lift) for very few francs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Greetings Snowbird,

Thanks for the site.
We have a Les Routier book but it's a couple of years old now so it's not bound to be up to date.

It can be a bit daunting, walking into one of the restaurants, dressed in your holiday gear with the word BRIT tattooed in invisible ink that only our gallic cousins can see and read but as soon as you attempt the old franglais at reading le menu everything usually works out.

We enjoy the challenge.

I agree it can be a little daunting as many think they are just another transport cafe. The Les Routier is nothing like a traditional British transport cafe, although they do tend to be used by truck drivers. I have worked with several UK truck drivers that have done European work for years and never been inside a Les Routier. When I have introduced them to the culinary delights that can be found in these establishments they become regulars. Generally there are 4 courses including wine and parking at less than 13 Euros. Coffee is extra and normally expected for some strange reason. I have never had a problem with parking, even when I was running an RV and trailer. The only thing to remember is that the menu is only available at lunch and evening meal.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I used to have a working knowledge of culinary french words so the various descriptions of the dishes didn't come as a surprise and it's alright reading it off a printed Menu.

It's quite a different thing trying to read the handwritten scrawl on a blackboard.
Some of the attempts were, shall we say, hard work.

However, sitting down to a table already decorated with a bottle of Red was welcome, (if only consumed and carried out by SWMBO)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Some of the best are around the Burgundy area, especially around Macon and Auxerre. I rarely use them at lunchtime as the temptation to partake in the vin rouge is too great. I find it best to park up around 6 PM and have my evening meal with wine, retiring to bed early ready for the next leg in the morning. Dont be embarrassed if your French is not so good, as the staff are well used to catering for truck drivers from all over Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the info :) we always used them for a meal when on motorcycling holidays in France . Well accepted in biking gear as a female ! More than in posh establishments !!

Have never thought of using them with the motorhome . Not sure why when I have lived here fir 10 years !! Senior moment maybe :RollEyes:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I dont know if any of you funsters have ever used the Les Routier restaurant system in France, but if you have not I will try to explain what its all about. For anyone transiting France on the RN you will have seen the Les Routier signs at some restaurants, its a red a nd blue round sign with the logo on it. These are really truck stops and give good food at a reasonable price. They have set menus at lunchtime and evening meal times with ample parking. I have used them extensively when I was working and always use them with the motorhome. They allow overnight parking if you eat and most have shower facilities. The set menu price is generally below 13 Euros, so wont break the bank, and you get secure overnight parking for free. Obviously some are better than others, but the majority are very good indeed. The best ones will start to fill up at around 5 PM with trucks, so are easy to spot. I found a good website which rates the best of them, so no need to book a campsite when in transit, and you dont have to do the dishes. Bon appetit :thumb:.
http://www.resto-routier.com/

Second that Dave great food and companionship for any traveler:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back