Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone,

Anybody tried or have advice about Brit stops?? I understand they are rather like the France Passion sites.

Thanks in anticipation. ::bigsmile:BigGrin:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi everyone,

Anybody tried or have advice about Brit stops?? I understand they are rather like the France Passion sites.

Thanks in anticipation. ::bigsmile:BigGrin:

Did join last year but unfortunately they never seemed to have any where I wanted to go. Shame, great idea just need more place.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did join last year but unfortunately they never seemed to have any where I wanted to go. Shame, great idea just need more place.

We are members but as above not many about, and if you use the services they provide it can work out very dear as most are pubs that provide meals you do feel obliged to eat there when you would probably have managed with a sandwich :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Essentially I think its a great scheme, the guide seems to have almost doubled in size since the last one I saw. I did a quick review last week Broken Link Removed

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we got it last year and not bothering this year a we never used it and just think it was not worth the money

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
britstops

We have been members for three years just paid for new book at NEC Steve works hard to provide a way for motorhomes to stay at pubs ,farms and tea shops and other places of interest . we really appreciate britstops try to use them when we are out and about as said by Jim britstops have more than doubled the last few year's and is still growing :thumb:
I would recommend that you take the time to see Steve at the many showes that attend I'm sure you will find as I do britstops work::bigsmile:

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We joined last year, only use one stop over and that wasn't too great an experience. Unfortunately there aren't any where we tend to travel so not right for us. We do find that most pubs etc will let you stop the night if you ask and at least buy a couple of drinks.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not for everyone, but we use them a lot. If you are going to pay for electric and water anyway we would rather pay for a couple of drinks or a meal in a Britstop, I also prefer to be certain we are able to stopover rather than go and ask and risk a rebuttal (the wimp coming out in me).

Geraldine

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
We joined last year when we first bought our MH and probably only used it on 4 occasions, but we think it's great, easy to locate, all felt safe and welcoming. We also bought French Passion book last year, we stayed at 2 places in the book, more difficult to find, and not so necessary as there is a fantastic network of Aires in France. Most MHomers would really love the Aire system to be adopted In this country, but I think that's unlikely at the moment. Britstop membership is the closest we've got at the moment and we feel it's well worth the annual fee, we certainly don't feel we wasted our money on membership last year and we've already bought this year's book and will hopefully make more use of the membership this year. Each to his own!::bigsmile:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
we bought the book last year, used it once so didn't think it worth doing again as the places we want to stay have very few entries, if any

I'd also prefer for this info to be available online rather than in a book format - and if possible with an app for iOS or Android as that way the data can be updated and disseminated more easily

and to be honest, Britstops is being caught rapidly by a Euro wide setup called Camper Contact (run from Holland) - www.campercontact.com - which has over 16000 stopovers across Europe and more added daily. stopovers include campsites, aires, pubs etc

they have an app for iOS and Android - free to try and just €5.49 for full access

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We bought the Britstops guide again this year and think its well worth the money. There are 150 stops more than last time and the maps are bigger and with more detail.

There are a lot of pubs in the guide but also plenty of farm shops, vineyards etc so there is a choice of places to stop.

As in many things there is always the alternative of a similar resource for free via the internet but personally I am happy to pay for the work that must go into compiling this list and producing a high quality printed book.

I'm sure many pubs would indeed let you stay overnight in their car park but, personally, if I had had a longish drive I would like to be confident of a welcome and a place to park without having to drive round looking for somewhere suitable.

I can imagine the puzzled looks you would get if you turned up with your van at many farm shops and asked to stay overnight in their car park - I am glad someone else has already asked first!

Paul

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
bought the guide for the first time this year and hopefully we will be able to put it too good use, I was actually surprised when I flicked through it to see quite a few with EHU, my only concern is that you do not seem to be able to book in advance or am I missing something ????

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
We bought the Britstops guide again this year and think its well worth the money. There are 150 stops more than last time and the maps are bigger and with more detail.

There are a lot of pubs in the guide but also plenty of farm shops, vineyards etc so there is a choice of places to stop.

As in many things there is always the alternative of a similar resource for free via the internet but personally I am happy to pay for the work that must go into compiling this list and producing a high quality printed book.

I'm sure many pubs would indeed let you stay overnight in their car park but, personally, if I had had a longish drive I would like to be confident of a welcome and a place to park without having to drive round looking for somewhere suitable.

I can imagine the puzzled looks you would get if you turned up with your van at many farm shops and asked to stay overnight in their car park - I am glad someone else has already asked first!

Paul

in our experience, a call in advance to a potential pub stopover usually works. I always check the pub on Google Maps so I can assess if the car park is big (and quiet) enough and then offer to eat and drink in the pub the evening before in return for the overnight stop. so far, I've only had one pub say no.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
bought the guide for the first time this year and hopefully we will be able to put it too good use, I was actually surprised when I flicked through it to see quite a few with EHU, my only concern is that you do not seem to be able to book in advance or am I missing something ????

Many of the pubs, farms etc in the scheme have large car parks which are often mostly empty or have a quiet corner so there is no need to book as there will always be space. Where there is a potential lack of space there may be only 2 motorhomes allowed for example and the guide will say 'phone first'.

Paul

aldenise

Free Member
Jun 26, 2010
Cleethorpes. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki
Exp
5 years
stopover

we joined motorhome stopover in 2010 we used it the first year but you feel obliged to use pub and it becomes costly

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we bought the book last year, used it once so didn't think it worth doing again as the places we want to stay have very few entries, if any

I'd also prefer for this info to be available online rather than in a book format - and if possible with an app for iOS or Android as that way the data can be updated and disseminated more easily

and to be honest, Britstops is being caught rapidly by a Euro wide setup called Camper Contact (run from Holland) - www.campercontact.com - which has over 16000 stopovers across Europe and more added daily. stopovers include campsites, aires, pubs etc

they have an app for iOS and Android - free to try and just €5.49 for full access

Only just seen this campercontact , duly downloaded and paid for, excelent :thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we joined motorhome stopover in 2010 we used it the first year but you feel obliged to use pub and it becomes costly

Glad someone agrees with me at last, good idea and must of been a lot of work , agreed, but it has a long way to go before it's anything like France passion, I don't like to run it down as we have been to quite a few places last year but I suppose it's our fault we spend too much when we get in pubs:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Many of the pubs, farms etc in the scheme have large car parks which are often mostly empty or have a quiet corner so there is no need to book as there will always be space. [HI]Where there is a potential lack of space there may be only 2 motorhomes allowed for example and the guide will say 'phone first'.[/HI]

Paul
Surely that's not accurate is it?

As Steve himself said a few weeks ago Broken Link Removed, "the law is that anyone is allowed to host [HI]one motorhome[/HI] on their land for one or two nights. They can have 28 total stays per year.".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back