Umweltzone Freiburg tolerance for non compliance? (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Does anyone know how tolerant they are in Freiburg for non display of umweltzone sticker, read somewhere they were? There appears to be a great stellplatz in Freiburg, but in congestion zone!!!! (bad planning) We collect our new m/h in 3 weeks (ironically built in Germany and winging its way through Europe now for delivery) and have 10 days before we leave for black forest tour. Have all the info on zones and how to apply, but not sure sticker will come in time before trip and if we travel without what will be the consequences?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed there in 2010 - our first stop in Germany. At that stage we did not have a plakette. The owner of the platz seemed quite cavalier about it and told us not to worry. The next day we drove out of Frieburg without any problem, but soon went to a Merc truck dealer and got the plakette. I have no idea if the city has become more watchful - I guess it's all about luck and not being spotted.

In any event, it would be irrelevant to us now as Freiburg has tightened the requirement to a green plakette and ours is yellow.

p.s. if you have not yet applied for a sticker - don't bother. It's much cheaper to get one when you arrive. Go either to a TÜV centre or a dealer for the base vehicle. Ours cost €5

Last edited:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Jean Luc is right except that you can actually go into any many car dealership armed with your chassis number and they will issue it there and then. It doesn't have to be the make of your vehicle. TUV stations will do the same .

The system isnt run by cameras and thew fine is quite low ( i think its less than 50 euro ) which is why a lot of germans don't bother

We would get one as they are very easy to obtain

Hope this helps

Neil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The reason I went to the Merc dealer is that we had a debate over which plakette we were entitled to. The engine is Euro 3 but the problem arose because the MAM ex factory from Hymer was different to the standard Sprinter MAM from the Daimler factory. TÜV would only allow us a red plakette but the Merc dealer understood the issue and gave us the yellow one.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Do you know opening hours at weekends as we get to the are either Saturday afternoon or Sunday, so don't have objection to buying, just circumstances are stacked against us, hence question of how tolerant?

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Good question Iam off to Germany in June. I have a 2005 Fiat Ducato 2.800 Auto-trail do I need a sticker if so what type?

Thanks in advance:winky:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Several European countries now have some form of low emission control or zone; Germany's is perhaps the most developed. Progressively, the limits have been tightened so that now, many cities will not allow in anything without a green window sticker (called a plakette). Green is for Euro 4 emission classification or better. Yellow is for Euro 3 and Red is for earlier engines.
If you are not going into cities it does not matter. If you want to enter cities, unless you have a Euro 4 or better (circa 2006 onwards) it is probably not worth bothering to get a plakette - stay outside and use the bus, train or bike.
Also be aware that in countries where motorway use is subject to a 'go box' for tolling by the Km (vehicles over 3,500 kg) the rate per Km is usually dependent upon the emission classification of the engine.

Here is a website with information on Europe's LEZs.
http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Follow this link also, which shows the German city involved and instructions for applying in advance

https://www.tolltickets.com/country/germany/emissionsticker.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c

Useful link from aa on Europe LEZ

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advic...n-low-emission-zones.html?icid=touringtipspdf
And how to apply

Broken Link Removed

I haven't got time between collection of m/home and leaving uk to apply so will need to either risk it or find somewhere open at the weekend.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Do you have to buy the sticker in Germany or is it available in other EU counties? Furthermore, is the one sticker for use just in Germany? If it is, do you have to obtain one for each country in the EU that uses similar emission controls?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi ludo

It's for Germany and only if you travel into low emission zones which are colour coded and you can enter with the right colour sticker according to your engine emissions. You scan a copy of your V5 doc to show your emission class.

You can buy these online for just a few £ just ask google, I used TUV sud and very quick.

Martin

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We were in Freiburg last year without one in a euro 4 van. .. Had no problems.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We were in Freiburg last year without one in a euro 4 van. .. Had no problems.
We were there last year also without a sticker (didn't even know about it) but Freiburg was a pig to get through because of all the road works - probably building new tram tracks.

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Umweltplakette

Go to this site - https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php - and follow the instructions, enter your registration number and country code (in brackets e.g. (GB)) where it says 'Please enter a text'. You'll need to scan page 2 of your V5 Registration document (check the size of the document doesn't exceed 2Mb or the site won't accept it) and attach it to the application. Add a note that it is a diesel engined vehicle, or they will email you to ask and it will take longer.:thumb:

The cost is £5 (€6) including delivery from Germany so it's not really worth not having it.

Sent my application on a Friday afternoon, plakette arrive the following Wednesday, and I got a green disc ::bigsmile: when I thought I'd get a yellow (2004 Ducato, 2.8JTD, 4 tonnes), all down to the luck of the draw I think.:winky:

Daedalus

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi
The umwelt sticker once issued stays on that vehicle till its scrapped, if you get another van and intend to go to Germany you will need another one as they are not transferable.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
"The cost is £5 (€6) including delivery from Germany so it's not really worth not having it.

Sent my application on a Friday afternoon, plakette arrive the following Wednesday, and I got a green disc "

If it is really that quick, its worth a punt to apply and hope it arrives in time, but i now feel reassured that if it doesn't I should be ok

Thank you for all your help

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi
The umwelt sticker once issued stays on that vehicle till its scrapped, if you get another van and intend to go to Germany you will need another one as they are not transferable.

The same applies if you have to have the windscreen replaced - the disc will be invalidated if you try to remove it once it has been stuck on.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Looking at this:

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/

It seems that Italy has more zones than Germany! Amsterdam also has one as does Budapest and Lisbon.

Does this mean that you have to buy stickers for all countries or is it just Germany?

In our case we have a Euro5 engine, for our sins, so, although we appear to comply, how many stickers do we need?

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
"The cost is £5 (€6) including delivery from Germany so it's not really worth not having it.

Sent my application on a Friday afternoon, plakette arrive the following Wednesday, and I got a green disc "

If it is really that quick, its worth a punt to apply and hope it arrives in time, but i now feel reassured that if it doesn't I should be ok

Thank you for all your help

It really is that quick

I ordered mine from that Berlin site on a Monday, it arrived at home in the UK on Thursday of the same week.

for €6 it's worth buying even if you don't think you'll use it that much

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes

Does this mean that you have to buy stickers for all countries or is it just Germany?

In our case we have a Euro5 engine, for our sins, so, although we appear to comply, how many stickers do we need?

Each country is different system and each country enforces differently. some its country specific (e.g. Switzerland), others its road specific (e.g. Austria, avoid motorways), others it city specific (Germany). so its a case of being aware of each system I'm afraid. Also be aware that Switzerland is annual (every january) and others are for life of vehicle (Germany)
Enforcement is different too - think London congestion zone - you will be recorded on CCTV, no avoiding!

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004

Each country is different system and each country enforces differently. some its country specific (e.g. Switzerland), others its road specific (e.g. Austria, avoid motorways), others it city specific (Germany). so its a case of being aware of each system I'm afraid. Also be aware that Switzerland is annual (every january) and others are for life of vehicle (Germany)
Enforcement is different too - think London congestion zone - you will be recorded on CCTV, no avoiding!

I think you're mixing up emissions regulations and road tolls there

afaik, Switzerland doesn't have any emission restrictions for motorhomes, although you need an annual vignette to drive on motorways

Germany have emission regulations for certain cities but motorways are free to drive on

other country emission regulations only apply to trucks whereas London's applies to a variety of vehicles, plus it has a vehicle charge to drive in parts of London

confusing eh?? :cry:

the best best is to check what you need for each country using tolltickets.com and lowemissionzones.eu and then go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
update - ordered sticker last Friday online, arrived this morning (Thursday) - pretty quick. thought it would be handy for others to know it has taken about a week!

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The same applies if you have to have the windscreen replaced - the disc will be invalidated if you try to remove it once it has been stuck on.

Just applied for another disc as just had new windscreen fitted. Very straightforward to order another, as stated earlier 6 Euros.

Rob

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Ok we are going to Germany in 2 days time, how do we get a sticker? I think we have to find a special garage, does anyone know how we go about it:Sad:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Ok we are going to Germany in 2 days time, how do we get a sticker? I think we have to find a special garage, does anyone know how we go about it:Sad:
Don't be worrying about it too much. Using either of these maps >>TUV NORD<< or >>TUV SUD<<, call in to the nearest TUV station when you enter Germany, or as advised above, a dealership for your base vehicle.

They will sort you out on production of your V5, (or a coloured copy).

Like Daedalus, I too was lucky to get a Green (4) Plakette when at Erding in 2011. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Like Daedalus, I too was lucky to get a Green (4) Plakette when at Erding in 2011. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

How on earth did you swing that one Jock? Your van surely cannot have a Euro 4 engine, or have you had an after-market filter fitted to the exhaust? I had to talk nicely to a Mercedes man in 2010 to get a yellow plakette - and mine has a Euro 3 engine. It should have been a red one because of the MAM at over 3.5 tonnes.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
How on earth did you swing that one Jock? Your van surely cannot have a Euro 4 engine, or have you had an after-market filter fitted to the exhaust? I had to talk nicely to a Mercedes man in 2010 to get a yellow plakette - and mine has a Euro 3 engine. It should have been a red one because of the MAM at over 3.5 tonnes.
You are right Philip, it doesn't have a Euro 4 engine, nor a particulate filter fitted.
I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, along with other non German nationals, and we all got a Green Plakette. :winky:
The Germans in our midst were right peed off. :roflmto:

Cheers,

Jock.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread