Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
Hi.
Having sourced my LHD Knaus from abroad last March, the local Knaus agent Southdowns refuse to do its first annual water ingress check( which is required for the warranty) as it was not purchased from them. They say I have to take it back to where I bought it from. Cannot understand it, so much for an international warranty !!. now considering my options. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Strange seeing as they should be able to charge you for it, I can undertand not wanting to get involved with warranty issues as labour rate may well be under thier normal charge and as they did not supply it there is no sales profit to subsidise that.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Put the problem to Knaus, as suggested. Who you bought it off, details of the vehicle, VIN number etc., and an address of you local Knaus agent. Their e-mail address is: aftersales@knaustabbert.de
They will understand English.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Can you really blame them ?
you must have known when you bought it that no UK dealer would do any warranty work either or is obliged to do

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can you really blame them ?
you must have known when you bought it that no UK dealer would do any warranty work either or is obliged to do

This is a bit mean, I have read similar threads and had similar stands from caravan dealers before we moved to MH's

Take the example of someone living abroad and moving home to the UK, with their MH, or car, it would quite reasonable to expect the service to be done in the UK and not having to travel to place of purchase

Similarly even with a UK purchase, say you live in Scotland buy a MH, move later with work to Cornwall, you should not then have to return it to Scotland for warranty work surely

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Again,

Can I point out that the OP isn't asking for warranty work doing.

He is asking for a check to be made in order that his warranty remains extant.

No doubt he would have to pay the 'going rate' for this check to be made.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The problem lies with the fact that warranty labour rate is below market rate, it is Ok when a dealer supplies the van as he has the profit on the sale to subsidise.

Why should a dealer subsidise the metal mover dealers who sell vans well discounted below normal price or over value the part exchange van to buyers who are only interested in price and are highly unlikely to purchase from their local dealer?

I quite happily undertake warranty work in our workshop providing the owner makes up the difference between warranty rate and standard rate, he can then persue the supplying dealer for that, not my problem and I don't lose money in the workshop. This is of course subject to not taking preference over my own customers who come first.

Peter

OP
OP
T
Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks for all your prompt and helpful responses.

Surprised by your comment jhorst .It is not as though it is free. they charge nearly £200 for the work not including parts and vat. Also it does not offer confidence in the Knaus range if they are unwilling to touch a van not purchased from them if trhey consider it to be a liability.

Maybe it me they don't like and this is punishment for not buying my replacement motorhome from them as my previous one was.

Deleted User
I dont blame the dealer at all, if you had bought the motorhome from them I am sure you would have good service from them. Why should they put themselves out when you bought the van abroad because it was cheaper. We in this country think that service comes free, it does'nt.

spongy

OP
OP
T
Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
I dont blame the dealer at all, if you had bought the motorhome from them I am sure you would have good service from them. Why should they put themselves out when you bought the van abroad because it was cheaper. We in this country think that service comes free, it does'nt.

spongy

Let me repeat myself, this is a service I would be paying for . I am not expecting free work. I am well aware that any warranty work will incur a charge of £50 per hour which is the difference between what the uk dealer charges and what they can recoup from knaus.

Are you saying also that for a fiat engine service it has to go back to the original supplier? I know for a fact that the local fiat dealer are more than happy to carry out an annual service so to protect the vehicle warranty should it require warrant repair later.

I am only trying to protect the warranty

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as the OP has stated he's paying full price so whats the issue:Eeek:

what would be the case if the supplying dealer went bust as many have done in the past few years?

i would be on the Email to Knaus to ask for a recommended service center.

does this also mean they will not do any habitation services for non supplied motorhomes?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Are you saying also that for a fiat engine service it has to go back to the original supplier? [HI] I know for a fact that the local fiat dealer are more than happy to carry out an annual service so to protect the vehicle warranty should it require warrant repair later.[/HI]

I am only trying to protect the warranty

As they should, & so should any Knaus (or any other) dealer.
Never mind the fact that this is a service which is being charged for, if anyone's new camper (bought in the UK) broke down abroad, theywould quite rightly expect the warranty to be honoured & not have to return it the the original dealer.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The problem lies with the fact that warranty labour rate is below market rate, it is Ok when a dealer supplies the van as he has the profit on the sale to subsidise.

Why should a dealer subsidise the metal mover dealers who sell vans well discounted below normal price or over value the part exchange van to buyers who are only interested in price and are highly unlikely to purchase from their local dealer?

A very sweeping statement there Peter! Sometimes it can depend on many things, but to refer specifically to the price issue - when we bought our Chausson Flash 04 in 2010 the local dealer who consistently gives very low PX prices and are know for doing so, made an absolutely abysmal PX offer - even their sale chap acknowledged this, we had known him for many years as he was from another dealership where we'd bought a MH from so would have preferred to have dealt with him again and he knew we would return again in the future as we'd bought several MHs already so realised it was a 'mistake' on their part. Additionally as the model we wanted was only being imported by a few dealers we didn't in real terms have much choice but to spend an extra £3,000 for the SAME VEHICLE or travel to get it from another very reputable dealer, not a 'metal mover'! Had, however, the local one been more realistic then we would certainly have seriously considered using them.

I quite happily undertake warranty work in our workshop providing the owner makes up the difference between warranty rate and standard rate, he can then persue the supplying dealer for that, not my problem and I don't lose money in the workshop.
I concur with this due to the reduced rate paid for warranty work and you should NOT be out of pocket.

This is of course subject to not taking preference over my own customers who come first.
That is where we disagree ... for whatever reason someone may need to use your services through no fault of their own - eg a private purchase, or not being able to get the exact model they wanted from you (ie in this case a LHD), or moving a distance away from their supplying dealer. Personally I think this is very short sighted as you could easily be turning away a potential future customer. I have come across this restrictive 'thought process' at other dealers myself, being made to feel like a 'nuisance' for even asking to go there for a habitation service and damp check spending MY money, not a discounted warranty repair! They made it VERY difficult to even get an appointment for a habitation etc to be done, even though I was trying to book it well in advance, and even then due to their attitude I wouldn't have put it past them suddenly having to 'cancel' it in favour of being able to fit in a 'customer' of their own, then where would I have been! So, I would not go near them now regardless of whether or not they made the most 'sense' overall for a future purchase ... their attitude was 'condescending' to say the least and they will NOT get any business from me in the future.

I get fed up of the "you aren't my customer so you're not my problem" attitude and (amending a well known American phrase) dealers should "wake up and smell the diesel" as to the effect this is having on potential future MH purchasers. We don't come to you because you are doing US a favour, we come to you because we need to have things done and give you OUR custom! Perhaps if this attitude continues then manufacturers may authorise NCC workshops to carry out work on their behalf ... Swift did this with us so we could use a local independent approved workshop (servicing and repairs only, no sales) and I think it is about time other manufacturers followed suit. If this happens then customers won't have to return to their supplying dealer for work and will be able to get it done elsewhere, possibly cheaper (quite likely!) and then you won't get the work anyway and with the way that we are 'sent on our way' some times you couldn't really blame us could you! :Eeek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
as the OP has stated he's paying full price so whats the issue:Eeek:

what would be the case if the supplying dealer went bust as many have done in the past few years?

i would be on the Email to Knaus to ask for a recommended service center.

does this also mean they will not do any habitation services for non supplied motorhomes?
In addition to this, I would find out if there are any NCC approved workshops in your area who would be willing to undertake the work for you, then approach Knaus with this information and see if they will authorise them to do the work and recognise it to protect your warranty. Swift did this for us with a local independent workshop so Knaus may do this for you - worth a try! :thumb:

Perhaps if we ALL voiced our 'annoyance' at this 'close shop' type of arrangement then we might be able to get it stopped and more like the car market service. :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Minx

We don't treat any one coming to us as a nuisance, they are all potential customers and if they want a habitation or a mechanical service, they are made most welcome.

If something is urgent to get someone out of trouble we will do our best to assist, end of story.

My original post was a generalisation as to why most dealers don't want to know. Swift do have a number of engineers they will recommend but the most foreign converters won't even suuply parts to non franchised dealers let alone pay for warranty work and who wants the hassle of dealing with them and waiting months to get paid

Peter

Last edited:

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Afternoon all,
The whole situation seems unnecessarily difficult for MH owners. Accessible after sales is certainly a big consideration now, almost at the top of the list of 'must haves'. If MH manufacturers aren't prepared to extend the amount they pay dealers or approved service centres to cover warranty and after sales issues to any of their vans that turn up at one of their dealers then they can expect to limit the marketplace they sell to to those living within a reasonable distance of the dealer. As for the OP's question, surely if a service is being offered for an advertised price then the retailer has an obligation to carry it out if the customer is willing to pay for it? I've just purchased a first MH, a Knaus, so am hoping for good after sales!
Andy

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have had no problems with damp check and warranty with Burstner - Camper UK have done damp checks - and warranty work - didn't buy from them but no issues -Had damp check done in Sweden by Burstner dealer - again no problems.
Perhaps this may be a minus point for buying a Knaus? I expect Knaus wouldn't be happy with this?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think it's ridiculous, if they are a proper Dealer for Knaus then they should be willing and able to do any warranty work required by the manufacturer incl repairs and annual checks, regardless of where the vehicle was purchased or for how much.

Knaus should set them straight and if they refuse to do the work or try to charge more than standard rate then remove their franchise.

I've always liked Southdowns and the people there, but this has put a question in my mind and would make me think twice about having anything to do with them.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
I thought the consumer laws say your contract is with the dealer who sells the goods, not the manufacturer. If I bought a washing machine from Argos I would not expect Curry's to fix it under warranty. I may well buy a new motorhome from Germany soon, a pc sum is going to be included for taking it back to them for servicing and any warranty work.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I thought the consumer laws say your contract is with the dealer who sells the goods, not the manufacturer. If I bought a washing machine from Argos I would not expect Curry's to fix it under warranty. I may well buy a new motorhome from Germany soon, a pc sum is going to be included for taking it back to them for servicing and any warranty work.
But the OP only wants a hab check done to keep warranty alive not warranty work carried out.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
If every one buys German vans from German dealers because there are better deals to be hsd then we cannot complain when there are not any UK dealers for German vans. I may well buy a Carthago from Southdowns, they are local and have been very helpful so far and I would expect to be a priority customer for any servicing that is required, the bottom line is not everything.
I have already had an e.mail from a UK dealer, when I asked for a discount, implying dont bring it to us if you buy from elsewhere, UK or Europe.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I suppose what gets me is that the customer is expected to sort it out. Southdowns as a Knaus dealer should have taken the work on and if they have a issue with cost Southdowns should take it up with Knaus.

I presume Southdowns refuse to work on any vehicle not purchased from them or is it just that the vehicle was imported. Either way it's pathetic :mad: and does them no good PR wise.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
some good advice call Knaus ASAP don't just email!
Sort of issues you should investigate before buying to be honest. Typical UK dealership tactic, restrictive practice Illegal under EU law.

The answer in that case is to avoid Knaus brand. have you looked for an agent in Belgium that you can visit when going on holidays?

two near Calais: http://www.knaus.de/en/dealer-search.html

Gave up on the UK market 25 years ago..would not trust them to do anything what a joke. "5 year Europe wide warranty" apparently. report the dealer!

http://www.knaus.de/en/motorhomes/information-and-explanations.html

under the circumstances suggest Knaus allow you to use a company within the NCC scheme...worth a shot

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Somebody should ask their MEP about this
It's certainly un-competitive and unreasonable that a product bought in the UK or Europe, manufactured by s company who has resellers across Europe, is not supported by other resellers in the European Union

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

maybe if they stopped tucking everyone up, treating us like mugs, charging 30% + more for the same vans they would get more business!:rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have just bought a German van a new LHD Hymer Exsis i 698 and saved a lot of money however the cost was not insignificant and as Hymer state that they have a Europe wide dealer network that can service their vehicles, if the dealers they authorise will not carry out work for warranty or other purposes they need to be sorted out by Hymer or the makers.
I was recently out on a trip to Cambridgeshire when our water pump failed I contacted Travel World and asked if I called in could they take a look when I told them it was imported and under warranty they told me that I would have to wait at least six weeks to get anything done and were unable to assist not even giving me any advice as to what the problem may have been..
I luckily managed to sort it out myself in the end but I did feel that they were totally unhelpful and I will be reporting to Hymer with my feelings over this matter.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Somebody should ask their MEP about this
It's certainly un-competitive and unreasonable that a product bought in the UK or Europe, manufactured by s company who has resellers across Europe, is not supported by other resellers in the European Union

The irony being....I just had a quick google and some of these clowns actually state UK supplied vans come with a Pan European warranty! but wont honor if it comes from Europe?:cautious:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back