Don't leave home without...... (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
What would you never go on a m/h trip without which is not the blatantly obvious ( fuel, money, mobile, maps etc)? Looking for the obscure which may turn out to be incredibly helpful (especially to the m/h uninitiated amongst us)

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Useful stuff:
Cable ties
Gaffer tape (both these will fix loads of stuff!)
Black sacks (good for wet clothing, boots, etc.)
Kitchen roll (good for the first wipe of crockery so you don't get smelly grey water)
Tea towels (apart from wiping up, they cushion noisy items in the cupboards when travelling)

Essentials:
Corkscrew

Steve :Smile:

Oh, nearly forgot, a copy of Brit Stops!

[edit: mitzimad beat me to it!]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Drain cover lifting handles.

Duck Tape.

Multimeter (for testing voltages).

Spare camera batteries and 12v recharger for them.

Spare alarm plipper batteries, and TV/Sat remote batteries.

Solar Shower bag (free hot water in summer)

A pint glass and a ceramic tea mug - I can't abide drinking out of plastic.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
My iPad mini with PDF of all the manuals than can go wrong in my van.
My Bose mini speaker.::bigsmile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Cheap reading glasses.
Code for radio.
How to re-programme immobiliser.
Multi purpose tool, better known as a Swiss Army Wife

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

In various sizes and should be in every first aid kit as they can be used for sterile covers for badly cut fingers and hands - keeps the blood off everything else whist you get help.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In various sizes and should be in every first aid kit as they can be used for sterile covers for badly cut fingers and hands - keeps the blood off everything else whist you get help.

And flavoured ones for those that still suck their thumbs !:thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
and nearly forgot,

Some Marigolds for when the cassette needs emptying or a box of the thin latex gloves.
Disinfectant spray to use on water outlet as some people tend to splash it when emptying their cassettes:Eeek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
and nearly forgot,

Some [HI]Marigolds[/HI] for when the cassette needs emptying or a box of the thin latex gloves.
Disinfectant spray to use on water outlet as some people tend to splash it when emptying their cassettes:Eeek:

Flowers for the wife ?....hardly a suitable reward for emptying the cassette:winky:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Yes. Our dog knows when we're going away and follows us like a shadow whilst we're getting ready. Unfortunately she is so old now that she can't get in the van on her own so we have to lift her in (and out). We tend to put her in first now so that we can get on with packing without tripping over her. :Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
All of the above (well almost all!) plus:
  • toolkit
  • breaker bar to undo wheelnuts and torque wrench to do them up again
  • tyre inflator
  • step-up or small steps to reach the reversing camera to clean it
  • mosquito repellant
  • first aid kit including anthisan or similar (for mossi bites)
  • french / german / italian pocket dictionaries as appropriate
  • spare water pump
  • various lubricants (engine oil, spray oil, spray silicon) I don't like WD40 but it's ok as a last resort
  • talcum powder (cheap) to lubricate the window rubber seals if they get stuck
  • whisky (malt)
  • Cassis or Mure to add to basic white plonk for a decent kir (buy in France)
  • yellow reflective jackets
  • clothes line and pegs

Lots more ideas but I guess that's enough for now.

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
spare pair of glasses, 2 warning triangles, penknife, CD's of fav' music, cigarette lighter, BBQ and TEA BAGS.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Spare bulbs and fuses. Also, when we were in France and the silencer and exhaust parted company we were able to lash it up with a bungee cord which held everything together until we could get to a garage.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I'll second the need for a corkscrew!

Whilst the cheap Sainsbury/Aldi plonk we buy has a screw top, invariably gifts brought by guests require greater determination to get into. :roflmto:

We find these things useful for no end of things - coat hangers, bag sealers, repairs etc

Attachments

• clamps.jpg
    clamps.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 5

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In no particular order, as they say, and probably duplicating things that have already been mentioned:

A very basic tools kit - screwdrivers, small pliers, assorted zip ties, a few small screws in case anything falls off, leatherman

compass - useful if it isn't obvious as you've arrived in near darkens to find out where the sun is going to rise/set so you can park the 'van accordingly.

A pair of shoes/sandals for indoor use only. I use Crocs - real ones not the cheap copies made from old car tyres which mark the carpet.

Square of groundsheet to go by the steps so you can take off or brush sand from your feet before putting on the above for going in.

Brush and pan.

Re-chargeable Dyson vacuum.

Folding chairs.

Beach towels and suntan cream. P20 is brilliant stuff if you haven't come across it. Lasts all day and very easy to apply. Quite unlike conventional creams.

In winter - wellies.

In summer - walking sandals

Boots for walking and carrier bags to put them in.

We also take a basic selection of reference books - plants, birds, fungi etc but not everyone would want these. They are also heavy!

Kindle with a pre-loaded selection of books.

I also take a Google Nexus 7 for accessing the internet and also as a Kindle reader.

We now have a Mifi and Europa Sim from MotorhomeWifi and looking forward to using them this year.

Binoculars, camera.

Walking poles

Waterproofs

Waterproof and sun hat - I have a Goretex one made by Outdoor Research, looks stupid and cost an arm and most of a leg but very effective.

Shopping bags, lightest possible

Rucksacks - again small and light

Selection of herbs etc. (Afternote: For cooking, not smoking!)

Guidebooks. We have lots of Lonely Planet but they are not very well produced with poor maps in most cases. The Rough Guide seem much better. For France the Green Guides have a lot of detail but hardly page turners. Doing research online before you go is useful for listing places you might want to visit.

Plus other stuff I've probably forgotten.

Which might include:

Two collapsible buckets for emptying waste and topping up fresh water without moving the van. Plus a funnel with a bit of hose glued on for topping up the fresh water from the clean bucket.

If you have a SOG loo take a bottle of bio washing liquid. Brilliant for killing the smells when emptying.

Originals of vehicle log book, insurance documents plus scans of your passports, medical and breakdown cover. We keep these in a folder in the safe. (If the 'van doesn't have a safe get one fitted IMHO.)

A list of cards and account numbers plus the international (not 0800) numbers to call if they are lost.

List of serial numbers of bikes, cameras, binos etc.

A dummy wallet if you think you are going into nasty spots where pick pockets might be - which is more or less anywhere but some places are of course worse than others. The dummy wallet contains expired credit card etc plus a few low value euro notes or any other currency you have hanging around from previous holidays you don't want again.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back