Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

We are planning our first trip to Spain (and Portugal perhaps) leaving the UK in late August and returning mid October. We prefer not to visit the tourist traps and would welcome any advice on routes, campsites and "must see" places/towns. Any other travel advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumb::Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you have about as much chance of finding a Spanish Virgin as Man City winning the open golf:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
My wife's cousin has a villa on the Sierra Mariola. There is a campsite there. You can't get further away from the tourist areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Spanish virgins are as rare as hens teeth but good luck with your search, possibly try a convent:ROFLMAO:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Prepare yourself for the Portuguese toll roads! Been there twice and they still confuse me. I used my credit card at a border machine in October, it still hasn't come off my card. I also emailed their website regarding the scratchcards that you can use to pay for the electronic tolls in March 2013 and got a reply last month!
Keep any receipts etc, speaking to the more seasoned travelers they reckon that the toll machines can't read the British number plates. I will let you know in the next couple of years if they ever charge me :Eeek:

Deleted User
Prepare yourself for the Portuguese toll roads! Been there twice and they still confuse me. I used my credit card at a border machine in October, it still hasn't come off my card. I also emailed their website regarding the scratchcards that you can use to pay for the electronic tolls in March 2013 and got a reply last month!
Keep any receipts etc, speaking to the more seasoned travelers they reckon that the toll machines can't read the British number plates. I will let you know in the next couple of years if they ever charge me :Eeek:

Would agree with you that they couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery but the GNR still have the power of instant fines if caught without proof of prepayment.

http://www.portugaltolls.pt/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home

If you have your ticket from the border crossing machine then no problem, if they don't collect well......see above.

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Hi we have done Portugal about 5 times in the last eight years and we have always gone Dover Dunkirk we stop at a place called berk free stop over, in France about 3 hours from Dunkirk on the coast just below
Bolonge then we go on down Bergurac again a free be right by the river, then we move on down to San Sabastian in Northern Spain good camp site up the hill on way out of town, then from the site go south to the border Spain Portugal then we usually hug the Atlantic coast from a place called Sinns then all the way down to the Algarve with free stops all the way mostly on or near beaches with places to empty, and pick up fresh water.
Hope this helps good luck happy traveling.:thumb::thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi 42, slightly off question, but if you are going then I would make sure I had ACSI and Camping Cheque as these will save you a lot on site fees.

The run over the Sierra Nevada is beautiful and there is a brilliant camper stop at Totana. The beauty of the motorhome is you really don't need to have a defined plan, just go as the mood takes you.
Enjoy.:Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Places that impressed us were Seville, a beautiful city, Aranjuez, Toledo and Medina Sedonia also in Spain.
Try some of the secondary roads, fabulous scenery.

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Enjoy

Hi

We are planning our first trip to Spain (and Portugal perhaps) leaving the UK in late August and returning mid October. We prefer not to visit the tourist traps and would welcome any advice on routes, campsites and "must see" places/towns. Any other travel advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumb::Cool:

Simples get your Acsi Membership also DVD go online and list your Spanish sites with a checklist of all you wants out of your touring. Acsi affords you to do this and gives you up-to-date reviews the DVD allows you to look at more photographs of the respective site.

Have fun and enjoy :)

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I don't know what it is about some posters that they feel compelled to make smart-alec replies that are so obviously unfunny and unhelpful.

Like others I would say there's dozens of interesting places to see. Granada has to be near the top of the list with its Alhambra - if you intend visiting the monument do some research on how to get tickets as I think at that time of year it will be busy. There's a nice small site at Beas de Granada where you can get the bus into the city from the doorstep; likewise Las Lomas, a slightly bigger site, at Guejar Sierra.

Cartagena, or New Carthage, has some interesting ancient monuments, including the Roman Theatre, a hilltop fort reached by an airy panoramic lift and several museums, including a naval one. There's an Aire type site a few miles from the centre, although I haven't used it and another site near Murcia city at Huerta de Murcia which was recommended by some locals.

Aledo in Murcia, near Totana, is a interesting little village perched on a hill with a couple of old monuments and the Monasterio de Santa Eulalia, now a hotel. You could walk or cycle (uphill, I'm afraid, from Totana) to the village and there are some good walks nearby.

We intend to go to Seville and Cordoba next time and possibly Ronda as these have been highly spoken of.

August in Southern Spain is likely to be very hot for outdoor activities.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
I don't know what it is about some posters that they feel compelled to make smart-alec replies that are so obviously unfunny and unhelpful.

Like others I would say there's dozens of interesting places to see. Granada has to be near the top of the list with its Alhambra - if you intend visiting the monument do some research on how to get tickets as I think at that time of year it will be busy. There's a nice small site at Beas de Granada where you can get the bus into the city from the doorstep; likewise Las Lomas, a slightly bigger site, at Guejar Sierra.

Cartagena, or New Carthage, has some interesting ancient monuments, including the Roman Theatre, a hilltop fort reached by an airy panoramic lift and several museums, including a naval one. There's an Aire type site a few miles from the centre, although I haven't used it and another site near Murcia city at Huerta de Murcia which was recommended by some locals.

Aledo in Murcia, near Totana, is a interesting little village perched on a hill with a couple of old monuments and the Monasterio de Santa Eulalia, now a hotel. You could walk or cycle (uphill, I'm afraid, from Totana) to the village and there are some good walks nearby.

We intend to go to Seville and Cordoba next time and possibly Ronda as these have been highly spoken of.

The clue is in the name of the forum. I believe "fun" features in that.

Loosen up a bit.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would just like to say that I wouldn't personally go to Spain/Portugal in August as it can be very very hot. I like the warmth and sunshine, but it can get too much of a good thing.:Cool:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Take your time and meander south through France. There are many interesting places to visit, such as the martyr village (Oradour sur Glane), if you have not already been there - everyone should go there once. Want some fishing? Well stocked lakes available not far from us, and you can bring your catch back to barbeque. There is even fly fishing tuition available should you want it.
Our "places to discover" leaflet could keep you occupied for a long time!
Then you can go further south when the heat there has moderated.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]I don't know what it is about some posters that they feel compelled to make smart-alec replies that are so obviously unfunny and unhelpful.[/HI]

They obviously didn't think they were unfunny, skip past them, ignore them, whatever, please don't let it get to you.

I have to say that Cadiz was something special, I fully intend going back and spending more time there.
:thumb:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
They obviously didn't think they were unfunny, skip past them, ignore them, whatever, please don't let it get to you.
I must be getting too good at that. I read straight through from page 1 to page 2 & by the time I saw the complaint, I had to go back & look at page 1 to find out what was complained about.

It's like adverts in papers & magazines - you develop a 'tune out' reflex. Works on screen too - I think it's why nobody seems to be able to find Jim's shop - you just don't see adverts after a while.

I don't mind the funnies - sometimes it gets a bit tedious if there are too many of them, especially if you are really interested in the proper topic. But in this case, the OP pretty much said they weren't going to mind, otherwise they would have used a different thread title.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Hi

You really ought to do some of the touristy spots: Alhambra (Granada) is fantastic [see comment about tickets], Mesquite (Cordoba) is also fantastic [but different; tickets are no problem], the bridge & bullring (Ronda) are very interesting, donkey carriages (Mijas) may be a bit naff.

(We lived in Marbella for a while, hence "Costa del Sol" references: there are lots of interesting places elsewhere. In July the temp on the coast was regularly 30degC; in central Spain it was 45degC! PLAN your trip accordingly.)

Less touristy (CdS): El Torcal (fantastic rock formations), caves (Nerja), loads of little villages (Algatocin, Casares, Istan, Benahavis, Ojen, Zahara [the "pass of the doves" from Grazalema CA531 is lovely BUT not for the faint-hearted]). It depends on what you want!

On the way along the southern coast to Portugal, try Tarifa (wind/surfing), the anchor graveyard (Barbate), Cadiz, Jerez, Arcos de la Frontera, Seville, El Rocio ("cowboy village" - flamingo lake/ Donana national park with lynx?), Mazagon, Huelva (Chris Columbus [Colon in Spanish!] replica ships), Rio Tinto.

There are loads of wonderful places to visit. Even the dreaded tourist trap of Marbella has a broad marble staircase populated with Salvador Dali sculptures which leads from a beautiful fountain down to the seafront. The old town has narrow streets with interesting shops, a cathedral and the lovely Plaza de los Naranjos. Puerto Banus is worth a visit to see how the other half (making an assumption here ::bigsmile:) lives. Malaga is the birthplace of Picasso.

Enjoy - Gordon

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
And for the FUNSTERS: the El Rocio romerio (50 days after Easter) is to worship Mary the Virgin and attracts more than 1 million pilgrims. :winky:

Gordon

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Touring Portugal

Hi ive been touring Spain,Italy,France from our base in Spain for many years without really any probs. but reading all the quotes re Portugal I'm getting worried because we intend travelling there this September.. We are going across to Porto and looking around that area before going north back into Spain.
Do I need to be as carefully as every one seems to be suggesting.is there really a problem with the Portuguese police as is being quoted.
If so will go back to France,Italy.:Eeek::Smile:
Just realised this should have been a new thread dur!

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi ive been touring Spain,Italy,France from our base in Spain for many years without really any probs. but reading all the quotes re Portugal I'm getting worried because we intend travelling there this September.. We are going across to Porto and looking around that area before going north back into Spain.
Do I need to be as carefully as every one seems to be suggesting.[HI]is there really a problem with the Portuguese police as is being quoted.[/HI]
If so will go back to France,Italy.:Eeek::Smile:
Just realised this should have been a new thread dur!

NO!

JJ :Cool:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Why are so many people concerned about travelling in Portugal, it all seems to be about the toll roads. Stay off them, there are lovely roads to travel without going on any of them. We have just travelled from south to the north and never went near one. Such a beautiful country. Our favourite winter destination.

We didn't experience or talk to anyone who had experienced any problems with the police, they are only doing their job, so it's obvious, don't break the law. If you must go on toll roads, follow the procedure, and as said, if they don't collect the toll, you have done your bit.

Enjoy your trip - we must second a trip to El Rocio.

Nigel and Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back