Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Last week I read a thread re Dash Cams and someone recommended a small but cheap cam which I duly ordered and have recd.
The item is 1289P HD 2.5" LCDN vision CCTV in car DVR EBay number 390615539346

Can anyone recall this as I have question re using it

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sadly no but it was a similar post and darned if I can find it. Thanks anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I bought this one. Absolutely dirt cheap...and good too with HD recording, motion detection, night vision, can be used as a camera to take pictures every so many seconds. And all for £13.95, not to mention in the UK as well so two days delivery!!
I wired mine into the ignition so it comes on when I start the vehicle, off when I leave it. I have one on the rear as well, just in case.
Broken Link Removed

are you talking about this post? its here

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks

thanks Big I Its on page 2 off your link under Jag

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I've sent for one and just received it. Not tried it yet. Is there something I should be concerned about?

Wyn

Bump

So have I, do we both need to worry?

Still waiting for my memory card to arrive so not tried yet

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The advert for this has a sample video on. I was quite impressed with this video till I noticed it was made with a BlackVue DR400G-HD II which costs 10 times as much as the dashcam they are selling.:Angry:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The advert for this has a sample video on. I was quite impressed with this video till I noticed it was made with a BlackVue DR400G-HD II which costs 10 times as much as the dashcam they are selling.:Angry:

The good thing was the OP showed a video clip taken on one of these cheaper units, looked good enough to me, certainly for £13!!

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
problem

The box and instructions are in English but when its switched on the cam screen shows Chineese:Eeek: and my son, who is good at these things, cannot for the life of him get it into English.:Angry:
I will wait till those of you who have bought one and checked it out and pse come back to me:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The box and instructions are in English but when its switched on the cam screen shows Chineese:Eeek: and my son, who is good at these things, cannot for the life of him get it into English.:Angry:
I will wait till those of you who have bought one and checked it out and pse come back to me:thumb:
Could anyone who works it out post the answer here please. It would be appreciated.

Wyn

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Could anyone who works it out post the answer here please. It would be appreciated.

Wyn

I will get on to mine tonight when I get home from work, memory cards have turned up now so ready to try.

Has anybody tried a question to the ebay seller?

I will report back later if the answer has not been posted, although I might only be posting to say I can't do it either!!

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
Just a thought but if the instructions are in Chinese, how about trying the nearest town / city and finding a Chinese herb/medicine / food supplier and asking them (for a small payment) to translate. I know there are some in Coventry and a large community in B'ham.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The cameras which I have are different but the software might well be similar. On mine the Language setting is the 8th option on the Menu. It would be worth pressing the Menu button to bring up the list of options and then scroll through them, trying each one until the Language setting one is found. Once the language is changed to English the other options can be properly set.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My stepdaughter is Chinese (Technically from Macau and therefore Portuguese actually) so I have someone to translate if needed.
I have bought 2 chinese dashcams without problems though, and have just ordered a third so I can have a rear one in my car too.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Got it! There isn't much recognisable in the menus until you find one showing 50Hz. The next item shows NTSC. When the NTSC option is light up go down six times then press the record button (red dot next to on/off button) Scroll through options till you get to English and select by pressing record button again.

Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Got it! There isn't much recognisable in the menus until you find one showing 50Hz. The next item shows NTSC. When the NTSC option is light up go down six times then press the record button (red dot next to on/off button) Scroll through options till you get to English and select by pressing record button again.

Wyn

You may need to press the menu button a second time to start in the right sub-menu.

Wyn

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You may need to press the menu button a second time to start in the right sub-menu.

Wyn

Right, Wyn has almost got us there

I could not even get my battery cover off for half an hour so I really do lack most skills needed for most things!!

turn on

press menu button twice

press down twice (you should at least now see something resembling languages

then press the red button next to standby

then down till you get English

press red button again

simples :Doh:

I have probably just explained exactly the same as Wyn, so apologies if so

David

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Macao

Have done all of the above but to no avail. The only language on it is Portugese so most probably made in Macao.:Eeek:
I have lost faith in the item so will be sending it back tomorrow for a re-fund.:Sad:
Keep the thread going as I will be interested in hearing how it goes with you:thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have done all of the above but to no avail. The only language on it is Portugese so most probably made in Macao.:Eeek:
I have lost faith in the item so will be sending it back tomorrow for a re-fund.:Sad:
Keep the thread going as I will be interested in hearing how it goes with you:thumb:

When you get to the Portugese on the display then press up or down till you see English, then press the red button on top

I now have a problem with getting my 32Gb card to be recognised, but that is hopefully easier to resolve

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I got my £13.95 one yesterday... first impressions not good as it seemed to be frozen but further [STRIKE]playing[/STRIKE] investigation suggested a duff SD card.
Luckily mine fired up in Engrish :Smile:.

Been out for a little drive today and my observations:

1. My windscreen needs cleaning :Doh:
  2. The camera & mount takes up a significant amount of windscreen "estate"
  3. Even on highest resolution definition is poor, the number plate of car infront can only be read if stopped or in a slow moving queue. Oncoming or overtaking vehicles are pretty much 'anonymous'.
  4. Playback is a little jerky/stuttering
  5. There is a significant lag between one file closing & the new one being written - it maybe only a couple of seconds but obviously it could mean missing recording a significant incident.
  6. There is no sound - that could be me needing to turn it on :Blush:, and I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse ::bigsmile:.
  7. Battery life is dire, it needs to be plugged in.
However - it was less than £14 and it does exactly what it claims to do better than we have any right to expect from such a cheap bit of kit :thumb:.
It certainly gives a good impression of what is occurring & the time stamp says when. It probably won't aid identification, but will give a good indication of what happened (for example on my drive it captured some idiotic overtaking/tailgating).
Sound/jerky could be my SD card or I need to tweak some settings. And if I can find a suitable dash mount, or more compact windscreen mount, I'll certainly be using it regularly - though I'm loathe to pay more for that than I did the camera :RollEyes:.
And given the, quite frankly, amazing performance, from this piece of cheap as chips toy - I'll be quite happy to upgrade when this one dies.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I got my £13.95 one yesterday... first impressions not good as it seemed to be frozen but further [STRIKE]playing[/STRIKE] investigation suggested a duff SD card.
Luckily mine fired up in Engrish :Smile:.

Been out for a little drive today and my observations:

1. My windscreen needs cleaning :Doh:
  2. The camera & mount takes up a significant amount of windscreen "estate"
  3. Even on highest resolution definition is poor, the number plate of car infront can only be read if stopped or in a slow moving queue. Oncoming or overtaking vehicles are pretty much 'anonymous'.
  4. Playback is a little jerky/stuttering
  5. There is a significant lag between one file closing & the new one being written - it maybe only a couple of seconds but obviously it could mean missing recording a significant incident.
  6. There is no sound - that could be me needing to turn it on :Blush:, and I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse ::bigsmile:.
  7. Battery life is dire, it needs to be plugged in.
However - it was less than £14 and it does exactly what it claims to do better than we have any right to expect from such a cheap bit of kit :thumb:.
It certainly gives a good impression of what is occurring & the time stamp says when. It probably won't aid identification, but will give a good indication of what happened (for example on my drive it captured some idiotic overtaking/tailgating).
Sound/jerky could be my SD card or I need to tweak some settings. And if I can find a suitable dash mount, or more compact windscreen mount, I'll certainly be using it regularly - though I'm loathe to pay more for that than I did the camera :RollEyes:.
And given the, quite frankly, amazing performance, from this piece of cheap as chips toy - I'll be quite happy to upgrade when this one dies.

Many thanks for the feedback, I bought mine on the strength of the video clip put on here using exactly the same camera, you could see number plates on that

I have not taken mine for 'a ride' as yet, but like you I reckon for the money it appears to be a great little toy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back