Selling privately and timewasters (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter deleted-member02
  • Start date
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
So I'm currently advertising my van on ebay.
I've got a steady stream of people texting me, usually one sentance, will you sell it for £XXXX
I reply, suggesting they should call and we can discuss their offer - then hear nothing...

Other problem is what I would describe as tourists. First timers who want a 'Hymer', their words, not mine.

It's getting tedious talking about how well made the van is and how suited it is for wilding.
They then proceed to tell me that they don't need a van this high spec, as they only plan staying on UK sites and what's the lowest price I will take.
This is despite the fact that they've hardly stepped inside a van, at a dealers or otherwise... and certainly no research....
and then tell me it can't possibly be worth that much :Doh:

I think it's frustrating as I've been into hundreds of vans and am only too aware of how poor/faulty many of them are and also how expensive they are...

Rant over....

On the plus side, I don't think I've seen our replacement yet, so we're still patiently waiting to sell our baby !

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
know what you mean moho,

sold a car a few years ago saying, this is the price, no offers, don't call unless you are willing to pay, I don't need to sell.
still had them ringing up saying will you take xxx and one turned up saying
this is wrong and I don't like that will you drop the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have been more lucky..

sold a caravan on ebay a few weeks ago no probs.. no silly questions or calls,,

guy who won the auction picked up the next day.. wad of cash in hand .. and off he went..

Same with a couple of cars, RV and trailers.. no real problems except the guy who bought the RV.. When he came to collect he tried to knock off a couple of grand.. told him to go or pay up.. he paid up.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My van's on ebay.

Friday I got a call, spent an hour in traffic to meet him at the van.

"Oh its got a fixed bed" - says so on listing with pics - "We don't want to sleep in the van, we want to use it as a base for our cycling club, we need to seat about 10" !!!:Doh:

Don't get me started on cyclists .....................................

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
know what you mean moho,

sold a car a few years ago saying, this is the price, no offers, don't call unless you are willing to pay, I don't need to sell.
still had them ringing up saying will you take xxx and one turned up saying
this is wrong and I don't like that will you drop the price.

Funny you say that, when we purchased, the seller clearly stated NO OFFERS, thought it was a bit odd at the time but can see why now.

I am prepared to haggle though... everything's negotiable :roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
funny you say that, when we purchased, the seller clearly stated no offers, thought it was a bit odd at the time but can see why now.

I am prepared to haggle though... Everything's negotiable :laughing:

£1500 ?

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
My van's on ebay.

Friday I got a call, spent an hour in traffic to meet him at the van.

"Oh its got a fixed bed" - says so on listing with pics - "We don't want to sleep in the van, we want to use it as a base for our cycling club, we need to seat about 10" !!!:Doh:

Don't get me started on cyclists .....................................

I do feel your pain...

You'd think reading the advert would be top of the list ??

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Be very careful on Ebay either buying or selling. I have emailed for dates and times to look at vans in the past only to be told it is based at the other end of the country from me and would be shipped at their expense once its paid for. I did manage to speak to someone once and i blocked my number only to have the man rant at me for blocking my number and then refused to let me look at the van? If as i hope you sell your van either take cash or a bank transfer and only let them take the van once the funds are cleared (bank transfer) this can take two hours. Good luck

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Good advice Daz, certainly plenty of scams around.
I've always been a fan of cash but these days not so sure.
I would even be uncomfortable taking a bankers draft, risky world out there, HAS to be bank transfer.
Comfortable doing the deal though, don't hold most dealers in high regard so try to do it privately :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Listed my Autocruise on ebay classifieds last year between January and March I listed it twice. First viewer bought for full asking price and put the cash in my bank on a Sunday to be sure it was his. Collected a week later. Both of us happy.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I don't normally have a problem with ebay, bought and sold several vehicles without issue.
I suspect it's the Hymer thing... they're unusual and people are attracted to them.
And thanks for your kind offer Peter @ John's Cross, though I suspect if I listed at px price on ebay it would sell very quickly :ROFLMAO:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
PX value on mine was 16k I sold for 21.750
PX was with Highbridge against a new 9048DF

I'm glad it didn't work out as the 9048 would have been a mistake for us

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I create short YouTube videos for things that I am offering including cars and flats - I give a wide view of the item and then close ups of key features or things that might be an issue, such as rust, bumps etc. I give a running commentary describing the obvious and the less obvious.

I started doing these videos because I was wasting time going to flats to do viewings for people that would reject the flat within seconds because, for example, they didn't realise that the flat was in a converted house, was on the top floor, ground floor ...... lots of reasons that were clearly shown in the adverts or on my website but didn't click until they got there. Now when I get enquiries, I direct them to the video and that drastically reduces the number of time wasters.

You could take you MH to a neutral place (so that you house is not in view) - E.g a car park and use your smart phone to video the van - walk the route through before you start filming and practice what you plan to say. Run the video for real and upload to Youtube and send the link to those enquiring about it or put it on your advert. You might consider disguising part of your number plate so that only the year is visible.

Good luck.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm not familiar with vehicle selling on eBay, but I sell other bits and pieces on there for a living, and you might want to consider setting strict buyer requirements (Account > Site Preferences) to avoid time wasters. You can block anyone without a PayPal account, anyone without a card linked to their PayPal account, and anyone with 2 or more non-payment cases in the last 12 months. They come in handy when zero feedback morons try to bid silly money on your item to win it then forget to pay you for it. I'm convinced it's a scam by rival sellers who want your item off the market. The pre-owned mobile phone market is awash with them.

I frequently specify 'auction only' in red text in the listings and still get people trying to make offers. I even had someone who missed a rare item by a tenner trying to bribe me to cancel the sale and send it to him instead.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi, we have been trying to sell some bits on gum tree no where near the money of your motor home. We put on the advert location Hunstanton nw Norfolk . We get interested replays who ask for the post code to come and buy it , when we give it to them they say oh that's 50 miles away ! But the advert states where we live. So yes we know what you feel like having all the muppets ringing you up.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Generally I don't have any trouble with ebay, but last year I sold a rare camper on there. A lady from Scotland paid for an independent inspection which turned out to be favourable. There was a great deal of interest with several viewings and she was the winning bidder until the final seconds. Some muppet from Bristol snipped it and won. So for an extra tenner the lady lost who had paid for the inspection. He then came to collect it 1 week later and tried to chip the price. It was COC and stupidly I had not taken a deposit. I told him where to go and then had to relist it. The original bidders then lost faith or had found something else and to add insult to injury the muppet left poor feedback. ebay were not interested in removing the poor feedback. They don't call it evilbay for nothing.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Youngest son sold car on ebay last week, buyer paid £250 deposit and asked son to tax it so he could drive it home.
He came, changed his mind then wanted his deposit back!

When eldest son gets offer he tells them to remember to bring a trailer, "why" they ask? Because at that price I'll be removing the engine he says!

Someone wanted full service, new cam-belt, tank of fuel, taxed and the car was a trade in and offered for £500. :Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I was going to list my car on ebay... think I might just go the folk that buy any vehicle route. Would save a lot of hassle even if I wouldn't get as much as I would selling privately.

We live miles from anywhere so newspaper ads or screen offer won't work.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The original bidders then lost faith or had found something else and to add insult to injury the muppet left poor feedback. ebay were not interested in removing the poor feedback. They don't call it evilbay for nothing.

Whilst you cannot leave a negative feed back you can respond to feedback left for you by saying 'Did not honour bid and failed to pay'

Peter

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I was going to list my car on ebay... think I might just go the folk that buy any vehicle route. Would save a lot of hassle even if I wouldn't get as much as I would selling privately.

We live miles from anywhere so newspaper ads or screen offer won't work.

Have heard stories that they offer one price and then chip you down when you take the car to them. Beware !

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Whilst you cannot leave a negative feed back you can respond to feedback left for you by saying 'Did not honour bid and failed to pay'

Peter

Hi Peter, I did report them to ebay as a non paying bidder and explained the circumstances. OK ebay removed there charges, but left the muppets negative feedback.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Advertised a bike a few years back .
A guy drove over from Wales , tried it out , agreed on a price , shook on it.

He was due to return the next week to pick it up with cash, he rang a few days before saying he thought about it out and wanted to buy for 2k less :Angry:
I said I will let you know, I re advertised it and sold the next day for asking price:thumb:
The Welsh guy phoned on the Sat morning to say he was on his way to collect it, "sorry mate , I sold for full price" I said.

I never heard so much *(*&%£$* coming down a phone:Eeek: I handed the phone to my mate nearby, he told him to f*** off back over the bridge where you came from.

Is this called Welching on a deal:ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What happened to the days when a mans word and a handshake sealed a deal. Deals were done and dusted by honourable people whos word could be trusted. Men never welched on a deal as they knew that once there credibility was lost, there was nothing left, as only fools would deal with them. No need for paperwork, lawyers and the like. We have moved on, but sadly not always in the right direction.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A classic sign of having something rare or desirable on eBay is getting early Buy It Now offers well before the auction's end date. Ignore them and stick with the auction, they're just collectors or dealers who think they can get a quick bargain from some clueless hick.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I put my Hymer up for sale on a number of sites with a comprehensive description and a surfeit of pictures. One chap rang who was about 20 miles away and asked if it was for sale,I responded that if I am made an off I will accept,he asked if I would hold it he would be there in half an hour. He arrived and looked it over and then said it wasn't for him! It seems he has expected that 'Hymer' was a generic term like 'Hoover' and 'Biro'. The pictures on the ads including the one he had seen,would have even pointed out to Stevie Wonder it was a Hymer!
What a waste,turned out he was a caravaner!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I was messed about by e bay buyers for my trike. Then Lesleyjean put it on Gumtree and it went within 24 hours ... no hassle. Might be worth looking at.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back