Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi all. just had a nice weekend at teversal caravan and camping club site, great place with some of the best facilities I have seen, compare with 5 star hotel:Smile: only down side... got there, set up, ten mins, later sound of water pi****g out in boiler cupboard :Angry: problem, red plastic pipe burst . panic when all mains electric trips out:cry: H.E.L.P!! reception recommend local man will come to site and fix it :thumb::thumb: one phone call and 15 mins later nice man turns up . one 4 inch piece of plastic pipe and one push fit joint later, jobs a gud un::bigsmile: " how much am I in your debt" I ask.. £84.:Eeek: came the reply!! talk about having you by the you know whats. oh well its only money

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you paid for the convenience and swift sorting of what would of put paid to your trip. to me it would be worth it, but i have the knowledge and skills to fix it myself. would take more than 15 minutes finding a shop for the parts

really pleased you didnt have a spoilt weekend away:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
hi all. just had a nice weekend at teversal caravan and camping club site, great place with some of the best facilities I have seen, compare with 5 star hotel:Smile: only down side... got there, set up, ten mins, later sound of water pi****g out in boiler cupboard :Angry: problem, red plastic pipe burst . panic when all mains electric trips out:cry: H.E.L.P!! reception recommend local man will come to site and fix it :thumb::thumb: one phone call and 15 mins later nice man turns up . one 4 inch piece of plastic pipe and one push fit joint later, jobs a gud un::bigsmile: " how much am I in your debt" I ask.. £84.:Eeek: came the reply!! talk about having you by the you know whats. oh well its only money

Yeah sorry too, ruins the whole weekend, but saying that , I see you are a surveyer , how much do you charge to turn out on a Saturday at a minutes notice.:whatthe:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I am so mean when grilling bacon I turn the gas out when I turn the bacon.

To have someone turn out on a weekend and turn up in 15 minutes AND FIX it! I would say you got a damn good deal.

Must go, found some crutches so off to break the wife's leg:thumb:

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
I agree great service, and if the guy had had to come thirty mile it would not be bad, its just the fact he lived around the corner. I was glad of his help, I just think this minimum call out fee can sometimes be a bit of a rip off.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I agree great service, and if the guy had had to come thirty mile it would not be bad, its just the fact he lived around the corner. I was glad of his help, I just think this minimum call out fee can sometimes be a bit of a rip off.

It's his day off, you have a problem needs sorting asp. What your choice. :cry: :ROFLMAO: or:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Bet you ask call out charges next time ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The last person I helped travelled to me 70 miles each way hoping I could solve his fault after garage visits failed. On top of his time and travel expense he expected to pay me too :thumb: I had to come up with a fair figure having fixed him so I guesstimated £50 he happily gave me £60 very thankful for an end to his dilemma
So for a guy to come out from his liesure time and sort you out you got a bargain.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And you know it's fixed properly, so peace of mind.

Teversal is a great site, 5* shower rooms, and the walking on the country park opposite is wonderful.

I went there 2 days after tripping out of a motorhome and was still limping. Managers brought the stuff I bought in the shop out to the motorhome for me.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend apart from the water leak.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I always keep a few connectors and pipe in the van as well as other bits and pieces for just this sort of thing, but I have to say I don't think that was a bargain, being in the trade if someone was in trouble just around the corner or if they turned up at the yard for such a simple repair I would have felt guilty charging more than a few quid for a drink, no wonder I aint rich :Doh:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Don`t forget ,the wardens tip, he not recommend for nothing:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
£84 vs the cost of a ruined weekend....

I'd say you did exceptionally well there. The cost is secondary to the response time.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
thats how emergency call out works call a plumber on monday no problems call him on friday and he aint earnt a tanner all week god help you

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
That's what I call service. 15 minutes is a great response in anybody's books, especially for something as trivial as a burst pipe. Blimey, you can wait longer for an ambulance!

Yes it smarts a bit having to fork out (especially if you do have the skills and knowledge to sort it out yourself), but I'd just be happy it got sorted so quickly, and with the minimum of inconvenience. Just my 2p:thumb:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
Brilliant i notice your a surveyor

surveyor out last month traveled from Eastkilbride to where i stay 2.3. miles
in my house 15 min looked over a welded internal steel support beam stated that it looked great and filled in the council form that was incl in the 15 mins total Bill £132+vat great job paid for his knowledge even though i know everything about everything and thought that a good deal
Why because thats what we all have to pay,
this was during the week , if i need somone within 1/2 hour i pay the rate,
the reason i say this is everyone on here seems to agree thats aint a bad payment you made,, me making a payment to you or the firm you work for for twice that payment then even then we get on in life and pay that,
the funny thing is if you look at what the past few weeks of motorhomeing has cost me ,,WOW back wheel almost came off and killed us last weekend,,COMPLETE REAR WHEEL SET UP , bearings drums axle etc etc,, parts alone was £300 for left and right rear the labour i done myself,,ran into my own bumber u can see in one of my rants,, my wiper motor going god that was a good deal supplied and fitted just over £100 ..
so please if theres any justice in this world please make my next problem just £80.00 please please,, before i go my guys in a van at the weekend are £80 call out that incl first half hour then £68 hr thereafter .
during the week its half the price,, why because its rapid response or its saved the customer taking time of there work they think thats a great service,, before i go out of interest please tell us all who have taking time on here to answer what is the hourly rate for a surveyor
in the uk,, Motorhomes and caravans when they brake its like a boat ,your always poring money into them what a wonderful hobby :thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
thats how emergency call out works call a plumber on monday no problems call him on friday and he aint earnt a tanner all week god help you

LUCKILY, I am in a position that I will never need one ::bigsmile:

alhod

Free Member
Oct 3, 2013
Cornwall and Charente
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
If you had needed to call a lawyer the cost would have been more like £500 and all you'd have would be hot air. £84 for hot water in half an hour seems a really good deal!

Alan

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
if you are having that much trouble with your van, perhaps you should have paid a good surveyor to check it out for you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ill give you a quote if you like!!:thumb:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
if you are having that much trouble with your van, perhaps you should have paid a good surveyor to check it out for you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ill give you a quote if you like!!:thumb:

Undertaker the next time,,
anyway yours is good to go mines is as new, can happen to anyone,,
as they say sh*&t happens, "question is why do we do it"
for us or the kids, who know,:Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Makes my repairs last week look cheap. Since buying the van, the Truma 4000E hot air heating has only ever worked on the low setting. I had a local mobile Truma agent look at it last year and was told it was a faulty high heat gas valve. After a phone call to Truma it was confirmed, but unfortunately this was no longer available. So I decided to live with the low setting, which is more than adequate. I was discussing this over a beer with a friend who offered to come and look at it. After stripping the thing down, cleaning all the fluff out and cleaning the flue we tried it and gave the valve a little tap, the thing burst into life. The high setting had never been used, so just needed a little persuasion to free off. The thing works perfectly now. He then proceded to re wire my Eberspacher, as it would only go through the start up cycle if the engine was running. That now works perfectly. Total cost for a days work....80 Euros, 10 cups of tea and a packet of my favourite chocolate biscuits. I did feel ripped off that he ate all my biscuits.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
maybe worth keeping a roll of duct tape or similar on board, then you could have done your own temporary repair to get you through the weekend.

I do think £84.00 was a fair price for a call out, and I do wonder what you would have paid had you taken it to a dealers!

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
HI.i do carry all sorts of stuff for emergency repairs and I did do a repair to the pipe, problem is the system is presurised and gaffa tape and chewing gum just would not hold back the flood. never mind ..all water under the bridge now..parden the pun:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back