Domestic Fridge U/S on Gas :) (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
While at Malvern with the Funsters the unimaginable happened - our beer got warm :Doh:

Our Domestic Fridge Freezer decided to pack up on gas. It works fine on 12v & hook-up but not gas.

Another Funster who'd luckily survived a similar fate of 'warm beer', lived to tell the tale and suggested I replace the thingamejig (jet/nozzle) or whatever where the gas comes from. It's accessible beneath this external panel:

This is the fridge/freezer:

Anyone know where I can get a thingamejig?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is a chance its nothing more than rust...

rust and other debris drops down the burner tube and either partially or completely covers the gas jet.

the burner tube is removable then blow out any debris...give the tube a clean out while its out.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks Pappajohn, it was suggested it could be rust. My thoughts are that if it's a relatively cheap part, I might as well replace it or at least have one in stock if I find a blow through clears an block.

I ran out of cash on the last day of the show when the fridge gave up and I could have purchased one at the show but I hate using those cash points that charge a hefty fee!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Jets are easy enough to get hold of, as are thermocouples, although the thermocouple is a fridge out job. I changed both on mine and now the interrupter has gone so another strip out job.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
there is a chance its nothing more than rust...

rust and other debris drops down the burner tube and either partially or completely covers the gas jet.

the burner tube is removable then blow out any debris...give the tube a clean out while its out.

Removed the part and it does look rather rusted!

Purchase 108 & 110 - Hopefully all I need

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
110 is the jet and normally all that needs cleaning or replacing. also brush the chimney to clear out sooty deposits. be aware when you reassemble that the heat from the flame needs to rise up the centre of the chimney thats why these fridges dont like being out of level on gas.

another design flaw is the lack of air circulation to help the cooling process. if you spend time in hot climates, you might consider adding a fan to the vent

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
110 is the jet and normally all that needs cleaning or replacing.

I purchased 108 because the metal tip (earth) of the igniter was so badly rusted it was crumbling away. I'd have preferred not to have purchased 108 as it was so expensive and the jet, for what it is, was a crazy price!

Thanks for the advice.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the bottom of the tube that the two white bits enter is usually the cause of the problem.

Rust and debris can fall down the tube and lay in the bottom covering the gas entry point.
There is not enough gas pressure to blow the crud out the way so it just sits there until physically removed.

Before buying new parts try up-ending the assembly while its out and give it a sharp tap or two to clear any debris.
If the jet itself is not blocked then it wont need replacing, they dont wear out for many thousands of hours use.
Clean the rest of the tube (the 'chimney' bit) you took off with a small wire brush

Be careful not to damage the two porceline probes.....the one with the spade connector is the igniter, the other with the fixed tube/wire is the flame failure device and should not be disturbed or it may not sit properly in the flame.

For future reference, if it lights but wont stay lit it is usually the flame failure (aka...thermo-couple) at fault and is a throw-away item so a new one is needed.

Opps just seen your post above .

Last edited:
OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Needing a little more help on this issues I'm having!

Today I fitted a new igniter & jet. Connected all cables, switched the gas on and then the fridge to gas.

One thing to note in the photo & drawing below - the centre earth connector in the photo doesn't exist in the diagram or the replacement part supplied. This means the three connecting wires I have, only two are connected. I'm assuming there's sufficient earthing through the fitting.

Purchase 108 & 110 - Hopefully all I need
[/QUOTE]

The igniter sparks quickly but there doesn't appear to be any gas and it times out. I'm quite certain there's no gas as I tried lighting with a flame - no joy. Gas is present at the cooker.

So, what's next? Any advice really appreciated as warm beer at a Funster bash is just totally unacceptable :whatthe:

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I presume you HAVE gas? and /or it is turned on?
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You may well have air in the system which can take a while to purge .... it can help to light the cooker hob.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, have gas, switched the cooker on just to be sure. It's a newly refilled cylinder.

For those interested, on a Burstner, this is where the cables to the igniter/jet come from.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
doublecheck you didnt block the new jet whilst installing. the earth you dont have a terminal for.....you did connect it to earth didnt you? fit a jumper lead with a ring terminal on and put the ring under the self tapper that holds the igniter. this will make sure the gas solenoid is earthed although I would assume its earthed on top of the fridge. just double check

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I've been looking at the pictures I have and this is my theory

The replacement part didn't come with the earth connector piece which screws to the main metal body of the igniter and leads through to a metal spike. Whether this is a design improvement or error of the manufacturer, I don't know.

I've NOT connected the earth wire coming from the grey control box as there's no obvious place to connect it - I'm guessing this is why the gas valve isn't opening. I can of course find an earthing point quite easily and make a connection - just seems a little strange.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
err thats what i just said:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
err thats what i just said:ROFLMAO:

Yup :) Just seems odd that the part isn't a direct swap and I have to fabricate a connection, you suggested that too :) . It's not a problem, I'll simply solder a spade on a short piece of wire and an eye on the other end. Very easy for me to do.

I'll let you know tomorrow :)

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not relevant to gas jets, but it looks like your door catch's plastic cover has given up too, just like ours. Bloody useless aren't they?

A simple modification I've made (which helps to check if the fridge is working) is embedding a Broken Link Removed display into the front grey panel to the left of the door catch (if you carefully cut a hole there's not much behind it), then running the sensor's cable behind the panel and through the corner of the door opening into the middle of the fridge.

That way you can tell if it's working or if it's struggling (ie southern Europe in August).

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Not relevant to gas jets, but it looks like your door catch's plastic cover has given up too, just like ours. Bloody useless aren't they?
Yup, a very poor design flaw! I've heard others moaning about the catch!

Update on my problem.

I connected the earth lead and it did result in a stronger spark but, still no joy. There's no gas reaching the jet. I removed the igniter and there's no gas coming from the delivery pipe so I'm a bit stuck for ideas now.

I contacted Domestic and they replied very promptly and simply stated they can't give out advice other than to qualified gas installers. Correct too, that might be my option :(

John

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
have you turned the isolation valve off and on again you do sometimes get a bit of crap in the pipes and disconnect the gas pipe from the back of the fridge to see if you got gas there, again tho only do this if you is confident like wot I is :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
have you turned the isolation valve off and on again you do sometimes get a bit of crap in the pipes and disconnect the gas pipe from the back of the fridge to see if you got gas there, again tho only do this if you is confident like wot I is :thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the hints.

I have no idea where the isolation valve is, so I certainly didn't turn it off :Smile: I guess I need to find it and do as you suggest. Anyone know on a Burstner Argos 748 - probably the same on a 747.

There's no gas reaching the igniter and I guess that's as far as it would go before becoming a flame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back