Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Hello Funsters,

Just been to retrieve my beloved motorhome after three months in storage. Unfortunately, the vehicle battery is completely dead and I can't get it to start :cry:. Probably due to being left so long with the alarm activated, which has drained the battery?

The motorhome is fitted with a 120 watt solar power unit and I was under the impression that this kept both leisure and vehicle batteries topped up, but it seems that it only works with the leisure battery, as that is fully charged.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with:-

1. I have tried to jump start the motorhome using good heavy duty cables, via the 'remote positive battery terminal' under the bonnet and the negative terminal connected to a good earth on the bodywork. However, this has proved unsuccessful. Should this be possible?

2. Where is the vehicle battery actually located? As it might be quicker to remove it and then charge it up with a battery charger at home, then re-fit it. * I think it might be under the cab floor, but I have left the manual inside the motorhome, doh!

3. Inside the control panel on the motorhome there is a 'battery charger switch'. Does this charge the leisure battery, the vehicle battery, or both?

Thanks for any help on this.

Steve

termDoes anyone know whether it is possible to

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the battery is inside under the floor of the cab on the left hand side. if the battery has been flat for months i am sorry but its most probably or almost definitely beyond recharging

see here for details of how to sort it
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
looks like synchronised posting again :ROFLMAO:

1 it would work if the battery was capable of taking a charge

2 already posted

3 not sure which panel you have but many you have to select the battery to receive charge when on hook up. both charge from the engine when running but the leisure battery will take much longer to charge unless you fit a b2b charger

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If needing a new battery I recommend the VARTA 110 ah about £95 is fair via eBay delivered
Even if your existing battery is a lower AH it's worth upgrading the capacity

Upvote 0

Petedaniel

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
10 months
Battery Question

I was talking to some one at the Malvin show a couple of years ago, and they told me that they had a connection between the main battery and the van battery, And I think it was called a Battery Baron I have never come across anything even near this and I wondered if any one knows of something similar ? As this would resolve this type of problem

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was talking to some one at the Malvin show a couple of years ago, and they told me that they had a connection between the main battery and the van battery, And I think it was called a Battery Baron I have never come across anything even near this and I wondered if any one knows of something similar ? As this would resolve this type of problem

engine charging leisure battery

Link Removed

Leisure battery charging engine battery

http://www.vanbitz.com/product/battery-master/

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
If your solar panel is doing the job with your leisure battery you need on of these
Broken Link Removed

Gordon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve304

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
:thumb: Thanks to everyone who responded. Your help was really appreciated and I have now managed to get an industrial battery charger connected to the battery, so will leave it for 24 hours and see if it works.

I think I will order one of those leisure battery to battery boxes from vanbitz though, as recommended by papajohn, to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Regards

Steve

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We had the same problem till we fitted the vanblitz batter master, problem solved an excellent product.

Though be aware that the ducat is a very power hungry vehicle when sat on the driveway.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you have a split charge relay you can get at easily you can just put a temp link across the terminals and the solar will charge both batteries best to put a low voltage fuse in the link in case you forget to remove it before starting the van

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Fetched mine today to take for her MOT (passed). Both batteries full to the brim using solar panel and the Vanbitz battery master.
Sits across the split charger relay as shown in picture, simple.:thumb:

Attachments

• BOX.jpg
    BOX.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks for the pic Larby :thumb:
That's what folk need more of! half the battle to DIY

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve304

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
if you have a split charge relay you can get at easily you can just put a temp link across the terminals and the solar will charge both batteries best to put a low voltage fuse in the link in case you forget to remove it before starting the van

Please excuse my ignorance, but how can I tell if there is a split charge relay fitted? I bought the van with the solar power unit fitted and unfortunately there isn't any instructions manual with it.

Steve

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You can also buy a relay that does the same as the battery master for half the price or so!
I wanted to avoid the same problem and took advice from a very knowledgable Funster,I bought a relay which when fitted transferred charge to my engine battery when the leisure ones were full.Cant remember which make,however he's never far away.I'm sure in his ,spot a bargain spirit,he will see this and provide a link :winky:

Vlad

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Please excuse my ignorance, but how can I tell if there is a split charge relay fitted? I bought the van with the solar power unit fitted and unfortunately there isn't any instructions manual with it.

Steve

The chances are is that there is a split charger fitted by Autotrail to charge leisure battery when engine is running. The Battery master in my picture allows power to flow to the vehicle battery once the leisure battery is topped up by the solar panel or by EHU.
The enclosed diagram may (or may not) help understand the principle.

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You can also buy a relay that does the same as the battery master for half the price or so!
I wanted to avoid the same problem and took advice from a very knowledgable Funster,I bought a relay which when fitted transferred charge to my engine battery when the leisure ones were full.Cant remember which make,however he's never far away.I'm sure in his ,spot a bargain spirit,he will see this and provide a link :winky:

Vlad

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111288730498"]SPLIT CHARGE EASY FIT LEISURE & ENGINE BATTERY CAMPER MOTORHOME BOAT 12V SOLAR | eBay[/ame]

Despite my best efforts it appears the forum will no longer accept links to this device :Sad:

HOWEVER ebay item 111288730498

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Steve

As has been mentioned, I'm pretty certain all motorhomes are fitted with a split-charge relay, so that the cab battery and the leisure battery are both charged up by the alternator when the van is being driven (or at least the engine is running). :thumb:

Mike

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's the start of the end when you can't, in the spirit of fun and good will,recommend a good cost effective solution to a fellow (paid up) Funster!
Not in the paying members interest,could this be how good forums turn bad!

Vlad the unimpressed!
So much for free speech!
Or am I just paranoid!

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I can only say I'm disappointed considering how much I've contributed lately.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
[HI]That's £2 dearer [/HI]but why did yours work and mine not? Is mine targeted?

Lost a bit of faith

Different supplier.
There are gremlins at work Andy, those little people that alter your settings while you sleep...............

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
NOBODY is being funny or disrespectful, I believe its just a simple glitch in the forum software
Broken Link Removed

this is the one linked to by Andy at £21.99 :thumb:

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp