Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hello

We are hoping to head to the South of France/northern Spain in April and would like any ideas for a stopover site or aire.

Ideally we like to hammer the journey down to be able to take it steadier the next so I'm looking around the A71/A75 route in the area of Clermont Ferrand and further South. Its just somewhere safe to park up for the night and then leave early the next morning.

I would prefer not to have to travel too far off the main route although its likely we will be doing non toll route south of Orleans.

Any recommendations
Thanks
Stacey:Cool:

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi we do have that book albeit it's in the van at the mo. But I was hoping for some personal recommendations on where's best and safe.

I must dig it out though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Some here will tell you it is not safe, but we use the motorway service areas, the ones with fuel which are busyish over night well lit and have coffee and toilets all night. You will almost certainly share the area with at least a couple of MH's

There is a nice one south of Clermont on the E11 A75 route, I have not got my French atlas indoors or I could give you a better location. It is quite high there so expect to be cold in April, we have driven in snow there then

I am a bit sad but like to monitor the roadside distance markers, which also show altitude on this route, you go over 1200m, which I think is higher than Snowdon and not far off Ben Nevis

A great drive, then you will do the Millau bridge in the morning sun, that can be really special with the right weather

Have fun

Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Some here will tell you it is not safe, but we use the motorway service areas, the ones with fuel which are busyish over night well lit and have coffee and toilets all night. You will almost certainly share the area with at least a couple of MH's

There is a nice one south of Clermont on the E11 A75 route, I have not got my French atlas indoors or I could give you a better location. It is quite high there so expect to be cold in April, we have driven in snow there then

I am a bit sad but like to monitor the roadside distance markers, which also show altitude on this route, you go over 1200m, which I think is higher than Snowdon and not far off Ben Nevis

A great drive, then you will do the Millau bridge in the morning sun, that can be really special with the right weather

Have fun

Don't know this particular site but I 'second' the choice of motorway large service stations always well lit, toilets, coffee, showers etc the only thing you should avoid is parking near the overnight trucks as some tend to leave early mornings and can wake you up:Smile:

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for the suggestions although I think stopping in a service aire will be out of the question as my husband does not think its safe. I suggested one for our last trip and he said NO. I will show him this thread though!!!!:RollEyes:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hope these help. Terry
Link Removed

Link Removed

Aire: CLERMONT FERRAND

ADDRESS: PARKING "LES PISTES", RUE FONTAINE DE LA RATTE
TEL: 04 73 98 65 00 (OT) FAX:
EMAIL:
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: 5€/ 24HRS SERVICES: INCL
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N45.79797 E03.11325
DIRECTIONS: Exit A75 @ Jcn 15 & take A710 West to Roundabout with D2009. Follow D2009 South & turn 1st RIGHT -- AIRE is 100m on RIGHT.
SITE DESCRIPTION This Municipal aire is located next to the large (400 space) public car park "Les Pistes" on the Eastern side of Clermont. A fairly quiet location where there are half a dozen level spaces without shade on tarmac but the location is not particularly attractive & inconvenient for the city centre. Euro-Relais service point (undercover) with drainage platform.

Link Removed
CLERMONT FERRAND

Link Removed Aire: POUZOL

ADDRESS: PONT DE MENAT, off D2144
TEL: FAX:
EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: 2€ WATER
GPS COORDS: N46.10198 E02.93197
DIRECTIONS: From MENAT take D2144 EAST to river. Upon crossing RIVER, take 2nd LEFT to AIRE (signposted).
SITE DESCRIPTION A pleasant rural aire in a wooded location alongside the river where there are 8 spaces on gravel in a circular arrangement, each space is separated by grass areas & adjacent to large grassy areas with picnic tables & some shade from small trees. The aire is accessed off the main road by means of a gravel track. Flot Bleu service point with drainage grid.
REVIEW: 2012 A very nice little aire next to a river with 8 level spaces on hardstanding surrounded by grass & trees. Very quiet but a bit remote, no facilites in Pouzol -- nearest shops are at Menat, about 3kms away.
Link Removed
Aire at Pouzol
Link Removed Link Removed
POUZOL
Link Removed

Link Removed Aire: RIOM

ADDRESS: D83/ D224 ROUNDABOUT.
TEL: 04 73 67 10 00 FAX:
EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: 2€ WATER or ELECTRIC
GPS COORDS: N45.89458 E03.12481
DIRECTIONS: Exit A71 @ Jcn 13 & take D83 EAST into RIOM. AIRE is located on first roundabout on D83 as you enter town.
SITE DESCRIPTION A purpose-built aire with 4 level spaces on hardstanding separated by small bushes & bordered by grass verges, little shade but lit at night. Unfortunately the aire is poorly situated being sat next to a roundabout & close to the railway line. UrbaFlux service point with drainage platform.
REVIEW: 2012 A very nice little urban aire with 4 level spaces on hardstanding surrounded by grass but useless for passing the night -- noise from road & rail traffic! Very convenient though for visiting the centre of this historic town. Services OK.
Link Removed
Aire at Riom
RIOM
Link Removed

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Site

Hi

We are not keen on aires and prefer sites. I have not stopped in Clermont but there is a site listed on the Camping and Caravanning Club's website and also in their overseas brochure, suggested as an overnight stopover.

This is it.

Russ

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for your suggestions- I know I could find some in my books but my husband is quite fussy about feeling safe hence why I was asking for recommendations.

Thanks for the pics fidget, it helps to visualise. Especially as one time I chose an aire to stay at but it was closed due to a fair and had to find a late night alternative which after you have ben driving for hours is the last thing you need, so it will be good to have a list of options this time:Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi

We are not keen on aires and prefer sites. I have not stopped in Clermont but there is a site listed on the Camping and Caravanning Club's website and also in their overseas brochure, suggested as an overnight stopover.

This is it.

Russ

The big problem with this one £19 to £36 :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have a safe trip. There is (or used to be) a big supermarket on the south side of town (huge car park MH friendly. And remember the Michelin factory is there if you need tyres - hope you don't.

There's a good site at Langeac but probably too far off your route. Lots to do in the area and not a honey pot for UK visitors.

Petedaniel

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
10 months
A great place to stop

I normally keep this place quite as it is an outstanding place to stop
Lac de Salagou just south of Lodeve and north of Clermond L'Herault off of the A75 you can use the pay site or park on the side of the lake for free which is what we do.
Petedaniel

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Stacey, this ones close to A75 but is a privete aire 6euros

Aire: LA ROCHE BLANCHE

ADDRESS: LES TROLIERES, off D756.
TEL: 04 73 79 08 26 FAX:
EMAIL: georges.blazanin@orange.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: PRIVATE

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: 6€/ 24 HRS SERVICES: 3€ WATER or ELECTRIC
OPENING TIMES: MAR - NOV
GPS COORDS: N45.71487 E03.14738
DIRECTIONS: Exit A75 @ Jcn 4. head SOUTH on D978 & turn RIGHT onto D756. After 300m turn LEFT to AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION This private aire is located about 10kms south of Clermont Ferrand, just off the A75, in a very rural location where there are 100 spaces on grass (slight slope) accessed off a gravel track. The spaces are unshaded & unlit but have far-reaching views & it is a very quiet location. Hook ups are available (10A) & there is a Euro-Relais service point with drainage platform. Open 7am -- 9.30pm, March -- November.
REVIEW: 2012 A very rural spot on a farm just north of La Roche Blanche, quiet but slight background noise from A75. Handy stopover off motorway. Plenty of room & easy access for large vehicles. Handy location for visiting Gergovie.
Link Removed
Aire at La Roche
LA ROCHE
Link Removed

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Stacey, this ones close to A75 but is a privete aire 6euros

Aire: LA ROCHE BLANCHE

ADDRESS: LES TROLIERES, off D756.
TEL: 04 73 79 08 26 FAX:
EMAIL: georges.blazanin@orange.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: PRIVATE

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: 6€/ 24 HRS SERVICES: 3€ WATER or ELECTRIC
OPENING TIMES: MAR - NOV
GPS COORDS: N45.71487 E03.14738
DIRECTIONS: Exit A75 @ Jcn 4. head SOUTH on D978 & turn RIGHT onto D756. After 300m turn LEFT to AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION This private aire is located about 10kms south of Clermont Ferrand, just off the A75, in a very rural location where there are 100 spaces on grass (slight slope) accessed off a gravel track. The spaces are unshaded & unlit but have far-reaching views & it is a very quiet location. Hook ups are available (10A) & there is a Euro-Relais service point with drainage platform. Open 7am -- 9.30pm, March -- November.
REVIEW: 2012 A very rural spot on a farm just north of La Roche Blanche, quiet but slight background noise from A75. Handy stopover off motorway. Plenty of room & easy access for large vehicles. Handy location for visiting Gergovie.
Link Removed
Aire at La Roche
LA ROCHE
Link Removed

Link Removed
Aire at Le Cheix
Link Removed

Aires: LE CHEIX - MUROL - ORCINES

Aire: LE CHEIX SUR MORGE

ADDRESS: RUE DU FAUBOURG (D425)
TEL: FAX:
EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: 2€ WATER
GPS COORDS: N45.95121 E03.17811
DIRECTIONS: Exit D2009 thru LE CHEIX in village centre & take D425 towards VARENNES. AIRE is on RIGHT as you leave village (signposted).
SITE DESCRIPTION This purposebuilt municipal aire is located on the south-east outskirts of this small village in a small hedged parking area with individual parking spaces for motorhomes on gravel hardstandings, bordered by grass & lit at night. The aire is quite new (2009) - in a quiet location close to the village football field & a short walk (500m) from the village centre. Artisanal service point with drainage platform. Shops in village.
REVIEW: NO REVIEW YET -- CAN YOU ADD ONE?
Link Removed
LE CHEIX
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back