mobile phone for use in mainland Europe (1 Viewer)

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
Hello funsters. Has anyone advice re: the best/cheapest mobile to get for an extended stay on the continent? My mobile contract is £3 per day even if it is only one text :Sad: I really only want to text daily to family back home, any suggestions? Thanks.

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We use Skype.

Fairy nuff, but I am a luddite and not up to speed on the technobollocks. I just want to text.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
nothing technical about Skype,and its free to do face to face,and cheap for calls

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
nothing technical about Skype,and its free to do face to face,and cheap for calls

Thanks but as a lone traveller I just want to text in the mornings to let my family know I'm still alive and kicking. Can't do the Skype thing for this purpose. Also will need to be connected to internet, not always possible.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Here's a way for even the most stubborn luddite

Broken Link Removed

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Toggle Mobile: Link Removed

You get a UK mobile number that your friends/family back home can call you on (so free for them if they have inclusive minutes) and that call is free for you to receive in: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

If you find yourself in any of these countries, there is a 16p connection charge for the duration of the call: Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Kenya, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Romania, Slovenia, Thailand, Vietnam.

On top of that if you are in America, Australia, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Norway, The Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland you can register for a 'local number' which gets you calls back to the UK for 3p per minute to landlines and often mobiles, occasionally the mobile call cost is 9p per minute.

Pay-As-You-Go, no contract. Topup and managed online and automatic topup when you reach a minimum balance also available.

Texts presently 9p, dropping to 6p in July within Europe.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Toggle Mobile: Link Removed

You get a UK mobile number that your friends/family back home can call you on (so free for them if they have inclusive minutes) and that call is free for you to receive in: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

If you find yourself in any of these countries, there is a 16p connection charge for the duration of the call: Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Kenya, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Romania, Slovenia, Thailand, Vietnam.

On top of that if you are in America, Australia, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Norway, The Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland you can register for a 'local number' which gets you calls back to the UK for 3p per minute to landlines and often mobiles, occasionally the mobile call cost is 9p per minute.

Pay-As-You-Go, no contract. Topup and managed online and automatic topup when you reach a minimum balance also available.

Texts presently 9p, dropping to 6p in July within Europe.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Thank you, so much info. Just the ticket :thumb: So all I need to do is get this sim and a cheap open network phone. Is it that simple? Bearing in mind I'm a luddite.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you, so much info. Just the ticket :thumb: So all I need to do is get this sim and a cheap open network phone. Is it that simple? Bearing in mind I'm a luddite.

Something like this is fine (30 day standby time! :Eeek:):
http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-samsung-e1200-black/786-3368.prd

1.) Insert SIM card into phone. You get a text message with your UK number.

2.) Register on Toggle Mobile's website under 'Register SIM' using the phone number and PUK code (printed on the card).

3.) Add credit. Choose if you want Automatic Topup.

4.) 'Local Numbers' are added on the website and are free for 30 days from the day you register (after which they expire, but another free one can be added) or are £5 for a year. You can have upto 9 'active' at any one time.

Think of the 'local number' as just being a way of getting the cheap calls, you would not give or use your Spanish number unless you had a friend with a Spanish mobile and then you could give it to him and he could call you on the number which was cheapest for him - it will always be free for you to receive!

The customer support for Toggle is excellent. Granted the call centre is in India (what do you expect for a £5 SIM and 3p per minute calls!), but it's one of the better ones for sure. :thumb:

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Something like this is fine (30 day standby time! :Eeek:):
http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-samsung-e1200-black/786-3368.prd

1.) Insert SIM card into phone. You get a text message with your UK number.

2.) Register on Toggle Mobile's website under 'Register SIM' using the phone number and PUK code (printed on the card).

3.) Add credit. Choose if you want Automatic Topup.

4.) 'Local Numbers' are added on the website and are free for 30 days from the day you register (after which they expire, but another free one can be added) or are £5 for a year. You can have upto 9 'active' at any one time.

Think of the 'local number' as just being a way of getting the cheap calls, you would not give or use your Spanish number unless you had a friend with a Spanish mobile and then you could give it to him and he could call you on the number which was cheapest for him - it will always be free for you to receive!

The customer support for Toggle is excellent. Granted the call centre is in India (what do you expect for a £5 SIM and 3p per minute calls!), but it's one of the better ones for sure. :thumb:

Thanks again Addie, you are a star.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I can confirm it works a treat! We have had Toggle for 3 months now, we were so impressed we told our friends and they had the Sim card sent to Spain!

Highly recommend.

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back