wooden floor cleaning/sanding (1 Viewer)

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
hi guys and gals just a quickie I am in the middle of cleaning the orig wooden floor on my bus i pulled up the orig vinyl (25yr old) as it was full of bolt holes (from orig seating) and had a nice vinegar smell vinyl came up no bother but no i have the task of cleaning up 25yr old glue the glue is rock hard it chips up in places. is there a nice easy way of doing this I was thinking a 40 grit disk on the da sander or do you think this will be a bit harsh
once the floor is cleaned up I have a million bolt holes etc.. to fill:cry:

the whole bus will be carpeted when finished. do I need to put down vinyl flooring underneath ( all my past caravans have been like this)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just bond some 6mm ply over the old ply with holes. no filling holes and no chipping away several square metres of old glue, otherwise a floor sander is your best bet with a belt sander for awkward areas

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above plus small self-tappers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
either self tappers or ring shanks to attach the ply but if u have any large amount of glue that are raised the sand em down

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hi guys and gals just a quickie I am in the middle of cleaning the orig wooden floor on my bus i pulled up the orig vinyl (25yr old) as it was full of bolt holes (from orig seating) and had a nice vinegar smell vinyl came up no bother but no i have the task of cleaning up 25yr old glue the glue is rock hard it chips up in places. is there a nice easy way of doing this I was thinking a 40 grit disk on the da sander or do you think this will be a bit harsh
once the floor is cleaned up I have a million bolt holes etc.. to fill:cry:

[HI]the whole bus will be carpeted when finished.[/HI] do I need to put down vinyl flooring underneath ( all my past caravans have been like this)

only my personal opinion.. but why carpet ?

I can never understand fitted carpet in a van.. it's a curse.. endless cleaning.. dusty in summer , sand, grit etc .. and it gets damp in winter ... then when it wears out or smells.. another big job changing..

I would use a floor sander, fill the holes (that's not a big job) and lay commercial quality vinyl, bonded to the floor. job done.

You can always lay fitted pieces of carpet later .. bedroom area etc.. that's what I did in my RV..

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
either self tappers or ring shanks to attach the ply but if u have any large amount of glue that are raised the sand em down

thats the problem the glue aint flat :cry: looks like a concrete yard

if I go down the ply route Ill still plug the holes
so would you guys just carpet over the top or would you vinyl the whole lot first?

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
see my last post

whoops didnt read that bit :Blush: lol

I know it sounds a bit tight but is it necessary for the vinyl would I not be ok if I seal/varnish the wood floor then carpet just I I dont want to spend a fortune on vinyl and i will never see it lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
whoops didnt read that bit :Blush: lol

I know it sounds a bit tight but is it necessary for the vinyl would I not be ok if I seal/varnish the wood floor then carpet just I I dont want to spend a fortune on vinyl and i will never see it lol

vinyl is so much more practical than carpet.. but as I said it was just my opinion from years of experience..

good quality flooring is not cheap.. be it carpet or vinyl .. but do the job right.. do it once..

:thumb:

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
vinyl is so much more practical than carpet.. but as I said it was just my opinion from years of experience..

good quality flooring is not cheap.. be it carpet or vinyl .. but do the job right.. do it once..

:thumb:
I know even the vinyl is under carpet and not be seen it will be a good water barrier from spills etc... which was why I was thinking just sealing the floor then the carpet, I have had a caravans with carpet and just vinyl and the vinyl is more practical but like the look and feel of carpet

and like you say "buy cheap buy twice"

Btw its 90 square metres of flooring

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know even the vinyl is under carpet and not be seen it will be a good water barrier from spills etc... which was why I was thinking just sealing the floor then the carpet, I have had a caravans with carpet and just vinyl and the vinyl is more practical but like the look and feel of carpet

Agree about the look and feel of carpet.. but much will depend on how you use the bus.. do you have dogs and or kids and who is delegated to cleaning it.. :winky:

if only for summer hols then carpet is ok.. but we lived fulltime in our RV , two kids and a dog.. and the carpet had to go .. just too much work keeping it clean.. in the winter it was a nightmare..

two old farts who never go walking, cycling etc and spend all day sipping wine looking out the window.. carpet is great .. :winky:

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Agree about the look and feel of carpet.. but much will depend on how you use the bus.. do you have dogs and or kids and who is delegated to cleaning it.. :winky:

if only for summer hols then carpet is ok.. but we lived fulltime in our RV , two kids and a dog.. and the carpet had to go .. just too much work keeping it clean.. in the winter it was a nightmare..

two old farts who never go walking, cycling etc and spend all day sipping wine looking out the window.. carpet is great .. :winky:

well I dont have a dog (well the wife :Eeek:) lol
I am the chief carpet cleaner in our house the bus wont be fulltimed its main use will be weekends away

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

:Eeek::Eeek: so your van is say 2 mtrs wide and 45 mtrs long :Eeek:::bigsmile:
BTW I have tried vinyl, carpets and now have vinyl plank in the van which has prooved to be the best by far :thumb: Vinyl (cusion floor type ) GOT HOLES FROM GRIT WALKED INTO IT - CARPET WAS NICE BUT WAS A FULL TIME JOB TRYING TO KEEP CLEAN -VP is great simply sweeps clean,hard as nails so grit does not go into it dead easy to fit (4 ins wide lengths)any stubborn marks come off with a spray of cleaner and a wipe with paper towel :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
:Eeek::Eeek: so your van is say 2 mtrs wide and 45 mtrs long :Eeek:::bigsmile:
BTW I have tried vinyl, carpets and now have vinyl plank in the van which has prooved to be the best by far :thumb: Vinyl (cusion floor type ) GOT HOLES FROM GRIT WALKED INTO IT - CARPET WAS NICE BUT WAS A FULL TIME JOB TRYING TO KEEP CLEAN -VP is great simply sweeps clean,hard as nails so grit does not go into it dead easy to fit (4 ins wide lengths)any stubborn marks come off with a spray of cleaner and a wipe with paper towel :thumb:
terry
lol thats a bit big 21 square metres I meant lol at 45m long would be a bit of a pain to park

she is 8.2m x 2.3m internally

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our carpet is permanently sited in the loft at home. We had vinyl (parquet lookalike) fitted professionally in place of the crappy vinyl fitted as standard. and it's very satisfactory. It still gets muddy foot/paw prints but they just wipe off.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Our carpet is permanently sited in the loft at home. We had vinyl (parquet lookalike) fitted professionally in place of the crappy vinyl fitted as standard. and it's very satisfactory. It still gets muddy foot/paw prints but they just wipe off.

one of my thoughts are vinyl for the main habitation area and carpet for tthe fixed bedroom

to many options lol my head hurts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back