Insurance for campervan broken down in France (1 Viewer)

Dan_Motorhome

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
N/A
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all,

First time on the forums today, and I've got a bit of a question for anyone who knows more about insurance than me.

Our motorhome broke down in France over a year ago and has been parked up over there ever since. I've hatched a plan to go over and fix and rescue it, but it has no tax, MOT or insurance for when I bring it back.

It seems that insurance shouldn't be a problem, but I can't get a tax disc without a recent MOT certificate. I certainly don't fancy chancing it and driving it up North without tax.

I've read however, that you can drive without tax if you're on your way to a pre-booked MOT. So what do people think about me booking an MOT in Dover, and driving it off the ferry to the MOT centre without insurance. Do you think that's ok?

What about booking a test near home (near Manchester) and driving straight there - is that pushing it?

If anyone has any experience or knowledge in this area I'd be most grateful for any advice!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I reckon that would be ok. Unusual, but ok:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you are in the same boat as someone importing a vehicle. You can drive it to a prearranged MOT and I would suggest you arrange that near home in case it fails and you need to repair it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As said.. you can drive to a pre arranged MOT without tax disc ... but you MUST be insured..

note that it is the driver who must be insured.. so provided you have insurance for another vehicle and it covers you to drive ANY other vehicle .. usually third party.. that would be ok ..

if caught on a ANPR camera with no insurance ...

5. Driving without insurance
It’s illegal to driving a vehicle on a road or in a public place without at least 3rd party insurance.

Even if the vehicle itself is insured, if you’re not correctly insured to drive it you could get penalised.

Penalties for uninsured drivers:
The police could give you a fixed penalty of £300 and 6 penalty points if you’re caught driving a vehicle you’re not insured to drive.

If the case goes to court you could get:

a maximum fine of £5,000
disqualified from driving
The police also have the power to seize, and in some cases, destroy the vehicle that’s being driven uninsured.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi all,

First time on the forums today, and I've got a bit of a question for anyone who knows more about insurance than me.

Our motorhome broke down in France over a year ago and has been parked up over there ever since. I've hatched a plan to go over and fix and rescue it, but it has no tax, MOT or insurance for when I bring it back.

It seems that insurance shouldn't be a problem, but I can't get a tax disc without a recent MOT certificate. I certainly don't fancy chancing it and driving it up North without tax.

I've read however, that you can drive without tax if you're on your way to a pre-booked MOT. So what do people think about me booking an MOT in Dover, and driving it off the ferry to the MOT centre without insurance. Do you think that's ok?

What about booking a test near home (near Manchester) and driving straight there - is that pushing it?

If anyone has any experience or knowledge in this area I'd be most grateful for any advice!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Not sure if I have misread this bit, you say that insurance will not be a problem, from which I thought you meant you could get it easily

Then you suggest driving it without insurance to the MOT station

In my opinion you would be much better driving without tax than insurance

But good luck getting it back

David

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I've read however, that you can drive without tax if you're on your way to a pre-booked mot. So what do people think about me booking an mot in dover, and driving it off the ferry to the mot centre [hi]without insurance[/hi]. Do you think that's ok?

no way

without tax but not without insurance.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if u r on another insurance to drive any other vehicle then u maybe ok but i wouldn't drive it home do it in dover there is also some places i heard of in france u can mot a motor but i cant remember where but the price is high someone will know and inform ya soon

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped..........You can drive it to a prearranged MOT and I would suggest you arrange that near home in case it fails and you need to repair it.
That's exactly what I did, prior to collecting an imported ISUZU Bighorn from the shipping agent at Bristol. I insured it prior to collection, using the chassis number.

I didn't have a Reg No plate, but wasn't pulled up once by the Police. :whatthe:

Good luck Dan, and don't forget to take your vehicle documents with you. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if u r on another insurance to drive any other vehicle then u maybe ok but i wouldn't drive it home do it in dover there is also[HI] some places i heard of in france u can mot a moto[/HI]r but i cant remember where but the price is high someone will know and inform ya soon

never heard of that..

to the best of my knowledge there is no way to legally get an MOT whilst abroad

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Driving anywhere without insurance is a great big NO - apart from the obvious risk of accident and subsequent damage you risk seizure by the police and serious fines - do not forget that ANPR cameras are working across all roads these days so you do not need to be seen by the police to be caught. ANPR will be working at the port and you will be caught.

MOT again this will be alerted by ANPR - what the police would think of such a distance I do not know - I think I would be inclined to get one done as soon as possible and then use the other clause taking it to a place of repair from the MOT station but if it is a minor thing then get it done . At least you will be safe on your travels

Tax once you have your MOT done you can do that on line - even though you will not have a disc it will show as taxed on ANPR.

Driving without insurance could - in the event of a serious accident - leave you in debt for the rest of your life.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your insurance will probably cover you third party driving vehicles belonging to other people, but if it is your own vehicle I think you would need to tell the insurers. Best to ring them and explain the position if in any doubt. A vehicle which has been standing for a year might not have the best brakes etc so an accident is not impossible.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
never heard of that..

to the best of my knowledge there is no way to legally get an MOT whilst abroad

it was on here i 1st heard of mot abroad

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Being covered on another insurance policy will not, I believe, cover you for other vehicles you own or are hired to you?
For instance I am a named driver on Mrs Colpot's Car Policy and am covered to drive, with the owners permission, another vehicle not owned or hired to Myself or Mrs Colpot. Similarly Mrs Colpot is named and covered on the Motorhome Policy.
Of course other policies may differ.....

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
why not get it serviced over there, with a reciept for a service at least you can show you have tried to ensure its safe to use, then mot it when you get back here.

After a year stood it will need a service anyway and Im sure it wont be that much (if at all) more expensive in France

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
if u r on another insurance to drive any other vehicle then u maybe ok but i wouldn't drive it home do it in dover there is also some places i heard of in france u can mot a motor but i cant remember where but the price is high someone will know and inform ya soon

I think if you check up on that the situation changed a couple of years ago - since MIT came into being all vehicles have to be insured in their own right and if the driver is not insured under that policy he could legally drive on an insurance held on a different vehicle provided the that he does not own the motor. So in this case as the chap owns the motor home any other vehicle policy will not cover him. Another point worth remembering is the cover given under those permitted rights are only road traffic acts so no cover for damage to the vehicle you are driving and not all policies have that right and the cover given is only for the insured NOT all named drivers - so a total minefield there

OP
OP
D

Dan_Motorhome

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
N/A
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Wow, so many quick replies, thanks everyone!

Seems I made a typo in my original post - the plan is indeed to get insurance, and drive without tax disc for an MOT (not drive without insurance). Sorry for the confusion!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What is the van ?? How big ?.

There are many companies that take cars, vans etc back and forwards to Spain for expats etc... Must be worth looking into that..

MOT abroad, not worth the paper it's written on, certainly not legal.. People used to have Spanish MOT's done on their UK cars but now the police have clamped down on that. Only way I can see around it is some dodgy garage doing it.. But no idea how that would work.

Insurance, someone who is allowed to drive other vehicles on their own policy could do it BUT it is stated that vehicle must be taxed and Mot, so thats a no go.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Wow, so many quick replies, thanks everyone!

Seems I made a typo in my original post - the plan is indeed to get insurance, and drive without tax disc for an MOT (not drive without insurance). Sorry for the confusion!

That sorts the insurance issue - please bear in mind the vehicle can still be seized for no MOT or Tax if stopped and the police are not satisfied with your replies - I would personally go for the nearest MOT station outside Dover and make sure the vehicle is roadworthy then pay the tax on line - you have no worries then. As soon as its taxed you will get an email as a receipt so no copper would argue with that anyway - be safe be legal

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
you can only drive on your insurance on a another vehicle third party if that vehicle is insured in it's own right it;s myth that you can drive any vehicle on your insurance the vehicle you are going to drive must be insured in its own right it you do so you will be committing an offence
Dire consequences

If you are found to be driving a vehicle without insurance you could be issued with an IN10 licence endorsement.
This carries six to eight penalty points and stays on your licence for four years from the date of offence.
An IN10 on your record will most likely send your premium sky-high.
“And that’s if the insurer wants your business at all - many will simply refuse to insure you.
“It’s one of the biggest black marks you can have on your insurance record, so ensuring it doesn’t happen to you in imperative.
“If in doubt, refer to your policy wording or just give your insurer a ring

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How far in France is the van , couldn't you get a return load on a lorry , around here there are low loaders taking jcb's across every day and mostly returning empty, probably cheaper than all the hassle getting there and bringing it back, don't know about it but just a suggestion::bigsmile::thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Insurance - You are going to get your insurance before you drive it, so no problem there.

MOT - go to the nearest MOT station to the port and get it done there. By trying to go to one near home and you are stopped you are more than likely going to be fined as I believe there is no excuse for not using one as soon as possible ... otherwise people would use this 'trick' to avoid getting a MOT/tax altogether as they'd just use the excuse "yes officer, I live in Cornwall but I'm going to have the MOT done in Scotland", all the would have had to do is book for the MOT to be carried out and then cancel it, same for the 'return' trip ... think about it! :RollEyes: Also, your vehicle is supposed to be 'legal' in your country of residence so if you get stopped in France and they discover it is not legal in the UK but have made arrangements for the MOT/tax to be done immediately you get onto UK soil, that should hopefully satisfy them - I'd certainly get something from the MOT station to confirm that you ARE booked in with them when you say - such as an email. Only 'fly' in the ointment I can think of is ... what will you do if it DOESN'T pass the MOT? I'm not sure if you can then 'legally' use it to drive home ... best to check.

Tax - assuming you get a MOT pass, you can then get your tax sorted on-line.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As said.. you can drive to a pre arranged MOT without tax disc ... but you MUST be insured..

note that it is the driver who must be insured.. so provided you have insurance for another vehicle and it covers you to drive ANY other vehicle .. usually third party.. that would be ok ..

if caught on a ANPR camera with no insurance ...

i was informed by my insurance company that to drive any other vehicle on my insurance it must not belong to me and that there must be insurance in place on the other vehicale

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would say that if the van is worth enough, have it transported back on a lorry. as a converted ambulance it may well be too heavy for the biggest of trailers. that way you are not struggling to repair it and get home from another country. have it delivered to a garage that can MOT and repair it. much cheaper than losing a licence and getting a big fine

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just take out some breakdown cover. Then wait a few days and call them..

"Oh, excuse me. My motorhome has unexpectedly broken down etc"

Easy :Smile:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Insurance - You are going to get your insurance before you drive it, so no problem there.

MOT - go to the nearest MOT station to the port and get it done there. By trying to go to one near home and you are stopped you are more than likely going to be fined as I believe there is no excuse for not using one as soon as possible ... otherwise people would use this 'trick' to avoid getting a MOT/tax altogether as they'd just use the excuse "yes officer, I live in Cornwall but I'm going to have the MOT done in Scotland", all the would have had to do is book for the MOT to be carried out and then cancel it, same for the 'return' trip ... think about it! :RollEyes: Also, your vehicle is supposed to be 'legal' in your country of residence so if you get stopped in France and they discover it is not legal in the UK but have made arrangements for the MOT/tax to be done immediately you get onto UK soil, that should hopefully satisfy them - I'd certainly get something from the MOT station to confirm that you ARE booked in with them when you say - such as an email. Only 'fly' in the ointment I can think of is ... what will you do if it DOESN'T pass the MOT? I'm not sure if you can then 'legally' use it to drive home ... best to check.

Tax - assuming you get a MOT pass, you can then get your tax sorted on-line.

Greetings,

Would like to endorse what Minx has said.
Once upon a time the Glasgow to Cornwall MOT scam was rife but the Law has now changed.
You have to have the MOT done within a reasonable distance of your journeys commencement, in your case Dover.
I'm not sure on this next bit though.
If your vehicle fails, you can take it to a place of repair and this just could be Manchester but even that loophole will probably have been closed. (I would book somewhere for the repairs to be done) All that would be checkable of course and, as previously stated, I don't know what the Police would say or do.

No one has mentioned your status in France. Your vehicle has to be legal in it's home country to be driven abroad.
You intend driving it bah't VEL and Test Cert. when in France. I don't think "I'm taking it to a UK MOT Station" will wash with Mr. Gendarme.

Whatever you decide, may I wish you the very best of luck with the minimal of Official interference. Unless you attempt to drive without Insurance.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Just take out some breakdown cover. Then wait a few days and call them..

"Oh, excuse me. My motorhome has unexpectedly broken down etc"

Easy :Smile:

If you check you will find the break down cover people will only attend to vehicles that are road legal ie taxed insured and MOT'ed this is to cover themselves in the case of a roadside incident and their risk of complicity in the crimes.

The legal state of vehicles can easily be checked by a few click of the mouse these days and probably is automatically undertaken as a part of the process of arranging the assistance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back