DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just been looking at a blog of someone cycling down California's Lost Coast. The blog had some very good black and white images which I assumed as I read it were taken with a normal camera then converted to B&W later. Not so, they were taken with a Leica camera which only takes B&W images. And wait for it, it costs over £6,000 in the UK. You have to be pretty dedicated to B&W photography to fork out that much but there is no question the images are very good.

The blog about the camera is here: http://stories.glenncharles.pro/a-year-in-monochrome

A review of the camera is here: Broken Link Removed

The blog about the Lost Coast, which is what I found first is here: http://stories.glenncharles.pro/the-lost-coast

An area north of San Francisco which looks good for RV'ing. Not that good for cycling as you will find if you read the blog - too many hills!

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
An interesting niche camera that many photographers reject almost by knee-jerk reaction.
When I first read about this camera I was concerned about the tonal range of the sensor.
I don't know why as the images I've seen are fantastic. There is a London based photographer called Michael Toye who produces excellent images.

If I want to take pure monochrome I stick a roll of FP4 into my 1951 Contax and even then the quality is quite different to the images from the Leica, almost certainly due to massive shortcomings in my technique :cry:

Incidentally one person I know of had this Leica and when he tried to sell it on one of the biggest photography forums got not even a sniff of interest.

Thanks for posting the info.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
On a personal level I have always preferred Black & White images anyway. I have always felt they give a better definition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It looks awesome, if I were rich I'd definitely have one. I used to own a Titanium M6, along with a full compliment of lenses, such a superb bit of kit to use. Always had Canon gear too though, and one Christmas when we were a couple of grand short on our payroll, the Leica kit was rushed to Mr Cad's at Croydon for a cash sale. That was a sad day. Doubt I'll ever buy another Leica, but I did enjoy it when I had it.

I remember once taking a full roll of film, FP4, of an old drunk in a London bar, he was in dark tatty suit that was covered in fag ash, smoking singing and telling stories. He had a fascinating weathered face with grey stubble. I was sat on the stool next to him just holding/playing with the camera, well that's what it looked like. You can hardly hear the leaf shutter fire on the M (not that he'd of noticed) and the manual wind on lever was a joy.

Even though the place was almost dark the 35mm 1.4 Summilux resolved everything. I really have the urge now to try and find those negatives.:Smile: I love Leica's,

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I remember once taking a full roll of film, FP4, of an old drunk in a London bar, he was in dark tatty suit that was covered in fag ash, smoking singing and telling stories. He had a fascinating weathered face with grey stubble. I was sat on the stool next to him just holding/playing with the camera, well that's what it looked

I wondered what you were doing next to me, it was my best suit by the way:ROFLMAO:
I really wish you hadn't mentioned Mr.Cad, I'll probably spend most of this afternoon in a trance looking at their stock!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Jan and I did most of that route on our motorbike last year on the way back from Alaska but followed it all the way from Vancouver through Washington State & Oregon almost to LA bloody amazing. Words cant describe it nor photos we took loads but to be honest I'm not good enough with a camera and gave up and just kept the memories. We saw Orca & Minky whales on the northern section.

Tourists tend to overlook this part of the USA as its hard to get to but well worth the effort, rugged wild coasts and giant redwoods ah bliss.

And plenty of wildcamping to be had.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I have a Fuji X5 modern take on the Leica design