Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
All this talk of freeloading tossers in their expensive vans has got me wondering,just how much is living in squalor like a bunch of refugees actually saving them?
I take it there are sites both big and small that could offer a camping experienceAt decent rates out of season.
What amounts are we talking,can anyone enlighten us?

Vlad

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
450 Euros per month including unlimited 16 amp electric, UK TV, weekly blood pressure checks, and half price alcohol one night per week.
20 Euros per month extra for good internet connection.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Gravellines last week was 3 euros per night in this Winter season..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thanks Snowbird Is that in Spain or Portugal,large or basic site?
It would be nice to get the full picture of what's available out there across the board.

Site,country,cost lets findout what's available and who's offering the best value.

Vlad

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks Snowbird Is that in Spain or Portugal,large or basic site?
It would be nice to get the full picture of what's available out there across the board.

Site,country,cost lets findout what's available and who's offering the best value.

Vlad

The price I quoted is in the centre of Benidorm. Its expensive as site fees go in Spain, but all other living costs are half the price of the rest of Spain because of the competition in Benidorm. Nowhere else can you get a pint of beer for 1 Euro, or a 3 course meal for under 5 Euros. As Benidorm is surrounded by mountains the weather is as good as it gets in winter. For example, we had about 3 hours of rain since last November. Most days its mid 20s, and thats what we come for in winter.

Deleted User
Monthly rates on decent sites upwards from around€280. Aires with limited facilities are available around €5/€7.50 a night in Portugal and many in very nice locations. In Portimao/Prai de Rocha there is a large parking area for €2.50 a night but water has to be purchased and no leccy, they also accept caravans.

The site we are on in Portugal charges according to pitch size from €318 for a small(36sq.m) to €392 for large, ours is 160sq.m. Good facilities, 16 amp electricity, free internet.

Problem for us is that if all the freeloaders had to use sites they would all be full.

Agree with Snowbird about Benidorm but 2 or 3 nights is enough for us. We stopped on Armanello in Nov last year and was just too crowded and poky.First time camping in Benidorm but have enjoyed short breaks there over the years.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are a few members currently in Portugal on a site that charges 220 € a month, which includes wifi, some electric and even a loan car to get your shopping in !!

We will be there next year IF there is room for us !!

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Well, the beers not as cheap as in Benidorm:roflmto:, but you'd save on the fuel costs if you stayed with us at Parc Verger! Based on a three-month stay, and allowing for the Funster discount, the monthly cost would be 328€ (10,80€ per night). For one month our off-peak rate would be 351€. For those who want a fully-serviced pitch, the monthly rate for a three-month stay would be 410€. All these prices are for the pitch and two people, and include 16A ehu and wifi.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Well, the beers not as cheap as in Benidorm:roflmto:, but you'd save on the fuel costs if you stayed with us at Parc Verger! Based on a three-month stay, and allowing for the Funster discount, the monthly cost would be 328€ (10,80€ per night). For one month our off-peak rate would be 351€. For those who want a fully-serviced pitch, the monthly rate for a three-month stay would be 410€. All these prices are for the pitch and two people, and include 16A ehu and wifi.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Good prices Bob.........but what about the Benidorm Sunshine ?

barry

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The price I quoted is in the centre of Benidorm. Its expensive as site fees go in Spain, but all other living costs are half the price of the rest of Spain because of the competition in Benidorm. Nowhere else can you get a pint of beer for 1 Euro, or a 3 course meal for under 5 Euros. As Benidorm is surrounded by mountains the weather is as good as it gets in winter. For example, we had about 3 hours of rain since last November. Most days its mid 20s, and thats what we come for in winter.

Snowbird, we may want to stay a few nights in Benidorm on the way down or back from meeting people further South. Any chance of naming names (of campsites) please?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For that sort of price I'd prefer to stay on the proper sites, but not the same one for months at a time. Roll on full retirement - sell the big house and buy something smaller that can be locked down for the winter and off to the south for the winter!

Having said that I do understand that for some people site fees would be a problem but that does not excuse the photos we have seen of the illegal sites.

I can only speak for myself but personally I would rather have a less expensive MH and pay site fees (with an occasional single night discrete wild camp when en-route if necessary) than a top-of-the range-new MH which left me penniless and unable to afford to live.

I want to experience the places I visit - eat local produce - visit museums and be a culture vulture. Perhaps even take a language course and practice speaking with native speakers! Kayak and swim. I do NOT want to make a nuisance of myself and get up other people's noses. My take on life? Do no harm.

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Out of interest when does off peak start and finish at parc verger. Cheers

We have lowered prices for all months except over Christmas and Easter, and the July/August period when we are normally fairly full. For a week here out of season Funsters will now pay only 91,35€ (about £72 at today's exchange rates) this including 2 people, 16A ehu and wifi.

Actual dates are on our website

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you are parking up for months at a time and on sites, you may as well have a caravan.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are parking up for months at a time and on sites, you may as well have a caravan.

Or rent an apartment at "out of season" rates. Alternatively, instead of buying the MH you could afford to go on cheap cruises as you would have either the capital or the interest you would have been paying on the loan to buy the MH.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I don't think ACSI has been mentioned, for sites in Spain in the winter. This year you can find a good selection of well equipped sites, eg pool, bar, restaurant, shop, necessary services, etc, for between 12€ and 18€ a night and that's for short term stays not months. If you want to settle for a month or more you may get a better deal on the same sites.

Deleted User
Or rent an apartment at "out of season" rates. Alternatively, instead of buying the MH you could afford to go on cheap cruises as you would have either the capital or the interest you would have been paying on the loan to buy the MH.

Cruises don't appeal and apartments don't have the same 'ambience' of sites but we have looked at afew for when our vanning days are over....tempus fugits and all that :Smile:

We have 5'er which we are leaving on a site in Portugal and have a caravan for touring and visits to the UK.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the info Funsters...

So at €350 a month for 6 months per year for the 14 years I have hung out in the winter sun it could have cost me €29,000.

What a stupid, tight wad, freeloader I am... only saving a few grand a year... hardly worth it... After spending all that money on my Hymer (£13,000 ish) I am skimping on a mere twenty nine grand (and counting). :ROFLMAO:

And I have to suffer different scenery and places when I wake up rather than the comforting white walls of a stranger's van blocking my sun...

Each to their own...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Not so Roger. I have spent the last 14 years touring around Europe and North Africa. I still tour and will be touring Northern Europe all summer. Now I have seen most of Spain that I want to see and have decided that I have everything I want and need in Benidorm including the best weather in Europe, I like to save some money for diesel, so I can tour in the summer. If I had a caravan, I would not be able to do what I like doing, which is touring. Unfortunately for me, am a fair weather tourer, that means sun. No sun, no go :Cool:. I average around 15000 miles per year in the motorhome. Not many motorhomers do that.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Snowbird, we may want to stay a few nights in Benidorm on the way down or back from meeting people further South. Any chance of naming names (of campsites) please?

None of the Benidorm campsites are cheap unless you are willing to stay for a minimum of 30 days. That is never a problem for me :thumb:.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

But I dont like apartments or hotels. I live in a four bedroomed, four bathroomed house, why would I want to live in one room when on holiday. I like campsite life and the camaraderie that goes with it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
None of the Benidorm campsites are cheap unless you are willing to stay for a minimum of 30 days. That is never a problem for me :thumb:.

I am not looking for "cheap". I am looking for reasonable, especially if they accept ACSI card. And the one you are on sounded good.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I am not looking for "cheap". I am looking for reasonable, especially if they accept ACSI card. And the one you are on sounded good.

The one we are on is next to Benidorm Palace, La Torreta. I dont think they except ACSI, but I can recommend the site. They have spent a lot of money recently on the place and it suits us well.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
interesting thread as semi retiring later this year and will be off for the winter. I'll be after the best of all worlds as don't mind aires/sites/wilding but fancy laying up for a month or so and Benidorm sounds a good crack.
Dave

andley

Banned
Dec 27, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Static
Exp
Campsite owner
Algarve

Chickenrun rural rustic countryside camping 10 euros per night inc elh, waste disposal, as much water as you like, and as much space as you like, loan of a car free to get shoping in.
www.chickenrun.vpweb.co.uk

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Camping Raco Benidorm

I've been on Raco since 19th oct and for long stay its 14.50 euros a day for 90 days plus and I think its 14.90 euros for 30days plus, its to expensive for a few days .
Pitches are 9 square metres and hedged, showers are heated and constant hot water at all times for washing dishes etc, good restaurant with entertainment some evenings
2 kilowatts of leccie included in price and all the usual english TV programmes
Its a couple of hundred yards further out than Torretta but within easy walking distance to the town and seafront with a good bus service outside the gate.
Alan:thumb:pS wifi is extra /SIZE]
IMG_1575.JPG

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Varies

Just spent two months touring Spain and found ACSI sites offered the best value. Cheapest was 16€ and the dearest 27€ a night.
All had great facilities and we never stayed longer on average than 3 days at each location. We did spend almost a week near Benidorm though, but two days there were spent sorting out the mifi system.
Back across the border we found an Aire near Biscarosse which had electricity and the grey and wc emptying point, but no toilet block for just 7€.
Will be touring at least once a fortnight throughout France during the summer but certainly enjoyed Spain and its, on average, warm during the day winter weather.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back