South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Hi guys

Can I use either in my motorhome ?
We know propane has a higher calorific value, so would it damage my appliances?

Thanks in advance

:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just use propane.

Butane won't evaporate at freezing temperatures which means no heating when you need it most!!!!:Doh:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
You can use either, never had a problem in Scotland when it was -4 and we have only ever used butane in the caravan,

I have one bottle of each in my Motor Home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its fine to use either in the motorhome without any issues with overhot flames. well tell a lie actually because propane tends to burn a little dirtier in practice with slightly more soot. its not an issue though and most use propane year round or have gaslow refillable cylinders using autogas which is a mixture of both. the percentages of butane to propane in autogas tends to vary for ambient temperature where bought

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think this is still a bit of a minefield, no pun intended. In general propane is what you want for round the year use. It boils at a much lower temperature. Butane might heat a kettle when it is freezing but it will do so very slowly and certainly won't do anything more with a typical MH stove or heating system. I've huddled in too many tents with my hands wrapped around campinggaz cannisters (butane) to know this is true.

You do need different regulators but the appliances themselves can normally cope with either these days.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
You do need different regulators but the appliances themselves can normally cope with either these days.

Not for the past ten years have different regulator been required. The C&C have a page on gas here:
Broken Link Removed

I quote a small section:
Until September 2003, caravans and motorhomes used a different regulator depending on which gas was being used to provide the appropriate operating pressures, 28mbar (millibar) for butane and 37mbar for propane. Some units from European countries used different pressures, up to 50mbar. Since September 2003 a European standard (EN 1949) has made the supply pressure the same for both gases throughout the EU at 30mbar . While pre-2003 units still require different regulators depending on the gas used, all current UK-built caravans run at 30mbar , and this figure should be marked in the gas locker near to the regulator .
Gordon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not for the past ten years have different regulator been required. The C&C have a page on gas here:
Broken Link Removed

I quote a small section:
Until September 2003, caravans and motorhomes used a different regulator depending on which gas was being used to provide the appropriate operating pressures, 28mbar (millibar) for butane and 37mbar for propane. Some units from European countries used different pressures, up to 50mbar. Since September 2003 a European standard (EN 1949) has made the supply pressure the same for both gases throughout the EU at 30mbar . While pre-2003 units still require different regulators depending on the gas used, all current UK-built caravans run at 30mbar , and this figure should be marked in the gas locker near to the regulator .
Gordon

both correct info and incorrect info.

A bulkhead mounted regulator will work the same for both propane and butane.......but......

A bottle top propane regulator WILL NOT fit a butane bottle top valve....and visa-versa.
The two bottle valves are different in that propane has a left hand thread screw-in connection and butane use either a clip on or right hand female thread connector

Propane regulator left hand thread male connection

Broken Link Removed

Butane regulator right hand thread female connection

Broken Link Removed

Butane clip on connection.

128734_5060070229737891847858.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think this is still a bit of a minefield, no pun intended. In general propane is what you want for round the year use. It boils at a much lower temperature. Butane might heat a kettle when it is freezing but it will do so very slowly and certainly won't do anything more with a typical MH stove or heating system. [HI]I've huddled in too many tents with my hands wrapped around campinggaz cannisters (butane) to know this is true.[/HI]

:Eeek: im surprised your still here to tell the tale.

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Thank guys for the information.

We went to Switzerland over Xmas, we went with a standard British propane bottle and regulator, we had all sorts of problems trying to buy gas due to contracts and regulator fittings and language barrier :Smile:

Anybody have any information on buying bottled propane abroad
:Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

We went to Switzerland over Xmas, we went with a standard British propane bottle and regulator, we had all sorts of problems trying to buy gas due to contracts and regulator fittings and language barrier :Smile:

if at all possible buy a local used bottle....many countries want a fixed address in that country to get a bottle so classified adverts and markets are favourites....you can buy regulators in many supermarkets abroad.
Best option if planning a lot of european touring is a recognised refillable bottle and filler hose....gaslow or gasit are the best known.
Simply refill anywhere bulk lpg (autogas) is offered...same stuff as lpg cars run on.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

At the end of the day, if you intend to travel, take a refillable bottle that can be topped up at an LPG petrol station. It isn't worth your time trying to buy expensive local bottles that will become a liability when you return home.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At the end of the day, if you intend to travel, take a refillable bottle that can be topped up at an LPG petrol station. It isn't worth your time trying to buy expensive local bottles that will become a liability when you return home.

if you are lucky you may pay €10 or €15 in classified ads and if its a one off trip who said anything about bringing it home. :RollEyes:

But i do agree....refillable is best

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
We found a service station sold us a bottle of gas for €25 we were very grateful as we had no gas we still have the bottle what bottles do we get to refill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back