Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
I've been thinking recently. (I really should stop)

We've been looking for a piece of land for some time now with the hopes of sometime building our own house.

Building land isn't cheap (you don't say, I hear you cry)

There is some land out there that is really cheap, but, even though you might own the land, you are only allowed to stay on it for 28 days in a year.

Well.

I wondered how you would be situated if 13 people got together and each bought an acre of land. It would need to be 13 as there are 52 weeks in a year.

Then they agree the order in which they would travel around the separate pieces of land.

They travel together, and park up together for 28 days on each plot.

No camping fees, no houses to maintain, Freedom?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only 5 vans at a time on a Certified location....which is what each plot would be.

And i would think the field would be multiple ownership....not 13 individual plots unless planning consent to split the field was given.

Next hurdle would be finding 13 RVers willing to put up £4k to £6k each for an acre of grass.

all the above could be absolute rubbish but thats how i see it.

OP
OP
gypsylady

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Would it class as a certified location if there is no charge for parking and it's just friends getting together on their own land?

Rallies can be held on farmers fields. That's where the 28 day rule comes in. You are allowed to 'camp' or 'allow camping' on your own field, but just for 28 days in any year. Any separate days are added together to reach that figure.

I don't envisage a field divided up, but land in separate locations.

Having somewhere to park for the cost of £4000 each seems like a good idea to me.

Like I said... Just thinking!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a maximum of 28 days in a 12 month period for ANY caravan/motorhome not per van. so you would need 13 plots each. weve discussed it here before and the legal side. basically it sounds a good idea but wont work in practice

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
forgot to say, above those limits and yould need planning permission or affiliate to a club to get certification and exemption as a 5 van site. but its still not as simple as you might hope

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
there was a fellow over on ukhippy that I think actually did this but for his own use, he bought the land and legally split the land into 13 plots and registered them with land registry etc the idea being he could move from plot to plot as and when needed, not sure of the outcome but pretty sure he did it all above board with solicitors involved etc,

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I've been thinking recently. (I really should stop)

We've been looking for a piece of land for some time now with the hopes of sometime building our own house.

Building land isn't cheap (you don't say, I hear you cry)

There is some land out there that is really cheap, but, even though you might own the land, you are only allowed to stay on it for 28 days in a year.

Well.

I wondered how you would be situated if 13 people got together and each bought an acre of land. It would need to be 13 as there are 52 weeks in a year.

Then they agree the order in which they would travel around the separate pieces of land.

They travel together, and park up together for 28 days on each plot.

No camping fees, no houses to maintain, Freedom?

The first thing you will need is a name for this project:Confused: How about Dale Farm!!!!:Cool::RollEyes:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I suppose that explains why the 28 day rule applies to buying woodland as an investment.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Take your Road fund licence out of the screen, put loads of chrome all over your vehicle, tow a bit of Tarmac around with you and you can park where you like for as long as you like:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just had a look on the web. Prices in Portugal seem pretty high at 6k-10k per acre, or I could be looking in the wrong place. I suppose places with a good spring/well cost more, though pretty essential if you're staying there.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The answer of course is to set up a network of Licenced 5 van sites, however the rules state no one land owner can have more than one licenced site and also the maximum stay per van is 28 days, then of course you need the drains and water supply and someone to issue the site licence, then there is the matter of insurance and business rates. So many people have looked into it and it really is not that easy. If you want to live on your own land then the best advice can be found from the organisation known as Chapter7 who sell an excellent book on the subject. As well as offering planning guides and help.
http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just had a look on the web. Prices in Portugal seem pretty high at 6k-10k per acre, or I could be looking in the wrong place. I suppose places with a good spring/well cost more, though pretty essential if you're staying there.

Was the website you looked at English by any chance?

Were you looking in the Algarve region?

If land costs that much these days I might have a couple of acres for sale with two wells (which sometimes have water in them!) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1/2 mile down the road from me a local farmer sold off several 1/2 acre plots of unfarmable land about 20 years ago. the purchasers applied for planning for a static caravan on each which they got. this was agreed with the stipulation of no other caravans on the plot, even if unoccupied.

recently i saw that 2 of the owners have now applied to build brick dwellings but been declined as theyre only allowed one caravan. not quite the same as you were asking but its a way round the 28 days but will cost considerably more. static caravans seem to have a lifespan of about 20 years, so you would need to factor in replacements. much cheaper than a house though and a motorhome is a vehicle not a caravan when parked up

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think the 28 day rule applies if you are the registered owner of the land. The trick is to set yourself up on a piece of unregistered land. There is plenty about and quite a few companies who have lists of unregistered plots.
A group of 5 people with 4 caravans and a horse found a piece of unregistered land in an area I used to work ( for the council) and set themselves up a nice little campsite. They were all local people, well known in the area and used to farm labouring. There were complaints from local residents, apparently about them being there, but in fact the complaints came from the owner of a closed down business opposite the land. No one else had complained, but the council set about trying to remove them. This was over a year ago and thet are still there.
I am sure the council will eventually move them somehow, and when they do find a way to make them go, the "owners " are already researching their next plot of unregistered land and will be ready to move out.

Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I[HI] think the 28 day rule applies if you are the registered owner of the land. The trick is to set yourself up on a piece of unregistered land. There is plenty about and quite a few companies who have lists of unregistered plots.[/HI]
A group of 5 people with 4 caravans and a horse found a piece of unregistered land in an area I used to work ( for the council) and set themselves up a nice little campsite. They were all local people, well known in the area and used to farm labouring. There were complaints from local residents, apparently about them being there, but in fact the complaints came from the owner of a closed down business opposite the land. No one else had complained, but the council set about trying to remove them. This was over a year ago and thet are still there.
I am sure the council will eventually move them somehow, and when they do find a way to make them go, the "owners " are already researching their next plot of unregistered land and will be ready to move out.

Allan

Wrong I'm afraid. Section 1 of the 1960 Act refers to occupiers of land not whether or not any ownership is registered. The fact that a piece of land is unregistered might make enforcement more difficult but it does not make its use as a caravan site legal.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Was the website you looked at English by any chance?

Were you looking in the Algarve region?

If land costs that much these days I might have a couple of acres for sale with two wells (which sometimes have water in them!) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ

The website was English (my linguistic ability, lack of, would not get me far on a Portuguese site)
How did you find yours?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back