pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
anyone know.....

is there any reason why i cant mount a solar panel 110mm above the roof.

i can only fit the panel to one side due to other stuff taking roof space and the roof rail is in the way. this stands 100mm high and i need to get above this.....i could use it as a rigid mounting point for one side of the panel.

JSW suggested it should not be near the edge but i have no choice and i'm aware of the reason.

any advise welcome,

john.

Brenintot

Free Member
Jul 24, 2008
Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1980
Just a couple of thoughts,

I guess the closer to the roof the less wind resistance is created & there would be possibly less chance of damage from overhanging branches etc coming in contact whilst on the move.

Also if the wind did get under it, it may create lift due to turbulence & in worst case, detach from the roof.

Regards
Brenintot
Chris Tottle - Photography: Welcome

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Mount it where you can John, wind at motorway speeds might be a problem but I am sure you could make some sort of baffle to stop the wind getting under it.

A good reason to have them on the centre of the motorhome is that it makes them harder to see. You would not be the first to person to lose an expensive panel from the roof. Those sit-up and track the sun ones are very attractive to the toerags and I have seen a couple of reports of them being stolen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wind at motorway speeds might be a problem but I am sure you could make some sort of baffle to stop the wind getting under it.

that was one concern but as it would be directly behind the overcab bulge(Such as it is) i would expect downforce and turbulance not lift.

all my rooflights have plastic 'spoilers' in front of them so one could be fitted in front of the panel.

getting closer to a decision by the minute/post.

cheers,

john.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a couple of thoughts,

I guess the closer to the roof the less wind resistance is created & there would be possibly less chance of damage from overhanging branches etc coming in contact whilst on the move.

Also if the wind did get under it, it may create lift due to turbulence & in worst case, detach from the roof.

Regards
Brenintot
Chris Tottle - Photography: Welcome

JSW pointed out that problem but its a case of...take a chance or stick to the genny.

with our TV usage ect a 60/80w panel probably wouldnt be up to it even though it wound fit closer to the roof.

john.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi pappa
just put a piece of plastic cladding in front of the panel to protect it from branches, the higher off your roof the better:ROFLMAO:closer to the sun:ROFLMAO:
paul

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
John,

What are you securing it to the roof with? mine should be here tomorrow and I was thinking about Silkoflex and screws just to be sure, but I read somewhere that Silkoflex is so good you wouldn't need the screws.

Ian

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John,

What are you securing it to the roof with? mine should be here tomorrow and I was thinking about Silkoflex and screws just to be sure, but I read somewhere that Silkoflex is so good you wouldn't need the screws.

Ian

hi,
i fitted my maxview crankup using sikaflex only but i used nearly a full tube.:Eeek:

i have just removed my status flying saucer aerial and it took the best part of an hour and a VERY sharp stanley blade and it only had a 1/2" bead of sikaflex.:whatthe:

i think the mounts have a relatively small contact area so i would use screws as well.....dont forget to put a blob of sealer under the screw heads.

where did you buy your panel as im still trying to find the best deal.

john.

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
Got a cracking last minute bid in on EBay, 120W kit incl regulator, leads etc £390 and cheap delivery (Always a bonus on EBay)

Hope I didn't bid against anyone on here :RollEyes:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Got a cracking last minute bid in on EBay, 120W kit incl regulator, leads etc £390 and cheap delivery (Always a bonus on EBay)

Bu**er :Angry:
cheapest i found on ebay was £399 for a 120w with short flyleads / plugs only, no controller.

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi Pops, just a stupid idea. What if you had your panel on hinges. Fold it down partially when driving. Even if it does not fold completely, less wind resistance. Another thought. Have it on a swivel plate with hinges, it can then be turned to the lowest point of folding. Use some form of padding against obstruction when folded. When upright, you can direct the panel towards the sun anytime of the day as it is on a swivel :pray:

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
John, I've just checked the Peeps that I got mine from and they haven't listed anymore. They had a few different sizes, I suspect they were just seeing how they went.

Will let you know if I see them list anymore.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pops, just a stupid idea. What if you had your panel on hinges. Fold it down partially when driving. Even if it does not fold completely, less wind resistance. Another thought. Have it on a swivel plate with hinges, it can then be turned to the lowest point of folding. Use some form of padding against obstruction when folded. When upright, you can direct the panel towards the sun anytime of the day as it is on a swivel :pray:

Mmmm!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John, I've just checked the Peeps that I got mine from and they haven't listed anymore. They had a few different sizes, I suspect they were just seeing how they went.

Will let you know if I see them list anymore.

thanks....think im going for the £399 one and have to buy a reg unit and cables.

cant find anything on ebay or the web to beat it. 120w seem to be around the £500 mark.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Angry: No. Not really. I'll have to STOP pointing out these good deals on ebay. :thumb:

BTW pappajohn. I have done OVER 80mph with our Coachmen, Gulfstream and Newmar and had NO trouble with the panels lifting. The Coachmen had the first one fitted just with Sikaflex. The next 2 with screws and Silicone. Same 2 panels the same on our Gulfstream. The 2 on our Newar were fitted in the USA using Sikaflex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:Angry: No. Not really. I'll have to STOP pointing out these good deals on ebay. :thumb:

cheers john,

i just bought the 120w panel you pointed out on ebay plus the basic controller from the same dealer (£399 panel + £16 controller):thumb::thumb:

just hope i'v done the right thing buying a panel thats physically too big for the roof albeit by only 8cm but it's still within the roof area.
i'm sure it'll be ok as i'm going to fit a small deflector to the roof rail in front of the panel to shove branch's ect away.:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
just hope i'v done the right thing buying a panel thats physically too big for the roof albeit by only 8cm but it's still within the roof area.
i'm sure it'll be ok as i'm going to fit a small deflector to the roof rail in front of the panel to shove branch's ect away.:thumb:

:Cool: That should work out great pappajohn. Happy fitting. :winky:

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
Cheers John :thumb:

Pappajohn, with regards to fitting a larger panel than roofspace permits, it was my intention to fit this one at the rear as that was the only place I had big enough, but as this area was right in front of the ladder access I've opted for the area just behind the Luton 'drop' this means the panel is fitted at a slight angle (about 4" higher at the front) it went in a treat yesterday with Sikaflex & screws, doing the business as we speak.

............there is of course the added bonus that if we park up reversed to the South it should be more efficient :RollEyes:

Hope your 'fit' goes well, it was a tad too hot for me yesterday but only having the one day before coming out again I had to plod on.

Ian

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers John :thumb:

my intention to fit this one at the rear as that was the only place I had big enough, but as this area was right in front of the ladder

i looked at the area at the rear but the heki is too far rearwards and if i fit it there, it would only fit crossways, it would look more like a boyracers spoiler :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my new panel is now fitted........it looks a bit odd so close to the edge but hey...i cant see it if i dont look up..:ROFLMAO:

gotta sort the wiring and mount the controller tomorrow then take some pics to post. :thumb::thumb:

QUESTION......as the onboard charger runs at 7amp(i think) and the panel max output is 6.9amp (unlikely to get this from it :Sad:) is there any reason not to connect it to the battery wiring at the charger/fuse unit, this would appear to carry a lot more amp-age when used on hookup and running 12v stuff.

it would save a lot of time and effort routing cables back to the batteries.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
heres a few piccies of the finished job.

now you know what i meant about being tight on space.

Attachments

• IMG_0851 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0851 (Small).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0850 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0850 (Small).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0849 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0849 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0854 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0854 (Small).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0852 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0852 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it was cranking out a tad over 6amp in moderate/good sun yesterday and a half amp at dusk.:thumb:

both house batteries (2X110ah) and engine battery (1X100ah) now well charged and ONLY cost me £445 to charge 'em :Doh::cry:

shouldnt be a problem at the shows now :thumb::thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Much cheaper than paying any of the power companies then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham

you dont know the half of it graham,

just got a bill from N power for £5,750.

we had this problem with them 2 years ago and took my solicitor a week to sort it. they admitted they were wrong at the time and we would hear no more. this time they will be paying the legal costs:Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I take it you can take them with you if you change bus.

I might consider this as my bus is most of the time parked up with no hook up now:cry::cry::cry:

P john can you give me an ebay link to your supplier?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

we had this problem with them 2 years ago and took my solicitor a week to sort it. they admitted they were wrong at the time and we would hear no more. this time they will be paying the legal costs:Angry:

It's a pain when they split the bill into two parts like this isn't John, tell em you won't pay until you get the whole bill hee hee.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Like the solar panel, dont forget to fit branch deflectors as it is so close to the edge.:thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Tell me about it. We had our meter changed (normal, run of the mill periodic maintenance) last December and a mistake was made by NPower or their sub-contractors in registering the new meter number (which resulted in the final reading not being properly registered). We've known what the problem was since April (and the final reading for at least 6 weeks) but, as of this afternoon, it could be another 5 weeks before they sort it out. Luckily, because we pay DD monthly we aren't running up a big bill - but not by their good management.

It's just another example of the folly of allowing private companies into public service markets where true competition doesn't exist and there is no effective sanction against them when they get it wrong through cutting corners.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I take it you can take them with you if you change bus.

I might consider this as my bus is most of the time parked up with no hook up now:cry::cry::cry:

P john can you give me an ebay link to your supplier?

do better than that john,

JPC solar ltd,
21 temple close,
luton,
beds
LU2 7XZ

web address Link Removed

and the ebay link is HERE

only has an 80w panel at the moment + some smaller ones.

yes it is easily removed leaving just two brackets and the cable entry box on the roof which could be removed with care.

john.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back