NEC Show (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Anyone else been to the NEC show to just have a look and ended up with a new motorhome?. Hope I made the right decision it came down to a best of 10 local dealer or best of 510 further away and a bit more expensive. As we have a flash 3 and the ford has been dead reliable went for the best of 10........but now wondering

David

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Did the same thing on thursday
Went for a look, came away wth a swift kontiki:roflmto:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We couldn't find a new motorhome to better our current one so came home with a new pair of Craghoppers and a garden parasol thingy:Doh:

I blame Jim for letting us win tickets to the show ........ Thanks Jim
::bigsmile:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Anyone else been to the NEC show to just have a look and ended up with a new motorhome?. Hope I made the right decision it came down to a best of 10 local dealer or best of 510 further away and a bit more expensive. As we have a flash 3 and the ford has been dead reliable went for the best of 10........but now wondering

David

okay so share, what did you buy??? ::bigsmile:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Drooled over the Vantage Neo again, early retirement for me in June this year and Nick April 2015 so sounds like we will need to put our order in this September as the chances of a second hand one are similar to my chances of winning the lottery!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Bought the best of 10 (ford base) just need to confirm their trade in valuation on ours if not deal off (just in case they are watching!!!!).

The best of 510 fiat base and a newer model would only have been a bit more but I like the ford and the fiats don't seem to have the best reputation I know they are supposed to be fixed but just an old sceptic

David

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi David,

I'm sorry for my thickness in advance:Doh: but, what exactly is "Best of 10" and "Best of 510"?

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sorry they are Chausson models just spent a couple of hours cleaning my motorhome before taking it to confirm the part exchange value not sure whether to spend ages or just do a quick clean

David

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Show

Did the same last October. Glad to know I'm not the only one! I can now tell 'the boss' that it's standard practice and give me some peace! Enjoy all the little niggles and more importantly customising for your use.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Watched a demo by a foraging cook, then after a stroll round the halls came back with a bag of very salami-smelling salami, some cheese, two wizzy whisks and a barbecue in a bucket type contraption.

I think we must have gone to the Food Show by mistake! :roflmto:

Steve and Mandy :Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Sorry they are Chausson models just spent a couple of hours cleaning my motorhome before taking it to confirm the part exchange value not sure whether to spend ages or just do a quick clean

David

be carefull cleaning, if using a damp cloth to wipe over pannals and serfices you can intorduce false damp meter readings.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I sold loads of things there, mainly the "too discounted" FreshJet2200 air conditioning system. Normal fitted price £1999.00 Dometic announced on morning of show price? £1259.00 installed:Doh:

Dealers: "are you sure of this? The FreshJet 1100 normal installed priced £1299 reduced to £999 seems a great deal, the FJ2200 £2k down to £1259 seems a stupid deal?

Dometic:- "Ah we'll check.....Bugga"

We really did have people walking up and booking two lol

I bought, another pair ( out third ) of Magic knives, they really are fantastic, (one pain for the motorhome and a second pair for the house to avoid arguments who uses what, when prepping a family roast:roflmto:) a replacement overhead light for inside the door of my motorhome, (keep ordering ones from trade suppliers, only for Lyn (Mrs VanBitz) to reject them out of hand as the wrong shade of white, or too "fussy" so had managerial input on the selection:thumb:)

Our campsite wardens visited on Thursday and got talked into buying some toilet chemicals, the same make and price as the stuff that we(they) sell in our little campsite shop:Eeek: How do I know? Because they decided that it was far too heavy to carry around and could they leave it in the Van Bitz exhibition unit, for us to bring home after the show:Doh:

Great things shows, really to be avoided lol

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

David

I scrubbed and cleaned and the dealer took a 90 second look and said it was as good as new. He didn't increase on the the trade-in price though. :Sad:

However I would like to think the next owners would have loved our hard work. ::bigsmile:

Do what you are happy to do.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
. He didn't increase on the the trade-in price though. :Sad:

Yes but he might have made a lower offer if you hadn't done the hard work. We changed our van in October and spent two days cleaning it before going to pick up our new-to-us van. As in your case, dealer just glanced over it, stuck to price, deal done. He traded it out to another dealer who added £5k, did absolutely nothing to it and sold it within a week. Hey-ho, that's life.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
New Vans - What discount did you get

I am going to the show in October. I am kind of expecting to buy new and may do so at the show if I feel the deal is right. So, the question I have is, how much discount did you get at the show? I don't have a trade in and have a budget of £40K +/- a little bit. Most of the MHs I am keen on are around £45K including a few extras such as an awning, a reversing camera, lux packs etc, (possibly auto box). Would it be too much to expect to get that down to £40K or less?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am going to the show in October. I am kind of expecting to buy new and may do so at the show if I feel the deal is right. So, the question I have is, how much discount did you get at the show? I don't have a trade in and have a budget of £40K +/- a little bit. Most of the MHs I am keen on are around £45K including a few extras such as an awning, a reversing camera, lux packs etc, (possibly auto box). Would it be too much to expect to get that down to £40K or less?

I sell accessories so putting my interest on the matter clearly up front:RollEyes:

However, the manufacturers have buyers and buying departments, their job is to source things at the best price. You will not always get the best or most up to date accessories when buying as a package.

Many people are lumbered with poor quality built in TV's for example ones that they wouldn't normally dream of buying if it wasn't part of a package, (but still paid for)

There are many owners dissatisfied with head units fitted into dash boards that have poor viewing angles, are difficult to use and understand and have an unacceptable radio reception. The end result is removal and a branded system installed in its place.

If you going to buy a van with accessories factory fitted, ensure that the equipment is of a known brand, one that you can read reviews about or can discuss on the forums.

Having a double DIN head unit that flashes up the motorhome manufactuers logo when turned on may look cool at the NEC, but who makes it? is it any good?

As for your budget you should easily find a motorhome to suit your requirements, but, I really would suggest that you attend a couple of the shows through the season and get a "feel" for the market before attending the NEC and buying into the "razzmatazz" of a big indoor show.

Good luck

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

If you have 40k to spend make them aware that you're only going to spend £38k. Then when the haggling starts you have some room to manoeuvre without spending more than you wish.

Tell them what you want to spend, give them your mobile number and walk away. Doing this with two or three of the dealers on the larger manufacturer's stand will get results. Then let each of them know what the other has offered and work down. :thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I got a small lightweight vacuum, a wigglepac for the dashboard, and another Dogs Trust sponsor dog. :RollEyes: Oh, and a free Dogs Trust shopping bag.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp

decide what you want and go for a nearly new if you can

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Distance

I sell accessories so putting my interest on the matter clearly up front:RollEyes:

However, the manufacturers have buyers and buying departments, their job is to source things at the best price. You will not always get the best or most up to date accessories when buying as a package.

Many people are lumbered with poor quality built in TV's for example ones that they wouldn't normally dream of buying if it wasn't part of a package, (but still paid for)

There are many owners dissatisfied with head units fitted into dash boards that have poor viewing angles, are difficult to use and understand and have an unacceptable radio reception. The end result is removal and a branded system installed in its place.

If you going to buy a van with accessories factory fitted, ensure that the equipment is of a known brand, one that you can read reviews about or can discuss on the forums.

Having a double DIN head unit that flashes up the motorhome manufactuers logo when turned on may look cool at the NEC, but who makes it? is it any good?

As for your budget you should easily find a motorhome to suit your requirements, but, I really would suggest that you attend a couple of the shows through the season and get a "feel" for the market before attending the NEC and buying into the "razzmatazz" of a big indoor show.

Good luck

Eddie, it's a shame that you are 550 miles away from me. But I will tap in to your knowledge on this forum :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back