London tfl ban vehicles over 3.5t (1 Viewer)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Although this new law looks like it is intended just for lorries, it also states ANY VEHICLE so be aware it might also mean any vehicle meaning other than lorries,ie Motorhomes over 3.5t, just be aware until this law can be cleared up to mean just lorries. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Lorries without cycle safety equipment are to be banned from entering London, the capital's mayor said today.
Revealing his Safer Lorry Scheme (previously the Safer Lorry Charge), Boris Johnson described the measure as an escalation of an initative originally set to see operators that didn't conform hit with a fine.
The ban will affect any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes Broken Link Removed [the announcement does not contain specific detail].
“In my Cycling Vision, I said that no lorry should be allowed in London unless it is fitted with equipment to protect cyclists. Neither I nor the boroughs have the power to ban lorries without safety equipment on our own," said Johnson.

"It was for that reason that I proposed to use a power I do have, to levy a hefty charge on lorries without such equipment. But I am pleased to say that after negotiations with London Councils, we can now combine our powers to propose a simple and comprehensive ban."
A traffic regulation order will now be co-authored by TfL and London councils to make the ban pan-London in its scope. Enforcement will be via CCTV cameras and on-street checks, subject to approval by the Department for Transport (DfT).
London Councils is currently consulting separately on introducing a requirement for members of the London Lorry Control Scheme to fit cycle safety equipment, which would affect trucks over 18-tonnes in GVW.
Best way forward?
In response the Freight Transport Assocation (FTA) said the scheme was neither the most targeted or effective course of action that could have been taken,
Christopher Snelling, FTA’s head of urban logistics policy, said: “These proposals will affect anything larger than a transit van and are not targeted, as we believe they should be, at construction traffic.
"Many large vans and small HGVs would in fact fall foul of other legislation if they fitted additional mirrors as their cabs are too low and pedestrians and cyclists would be at risk of being struck by these low mirrors.
"This is the danger with politicians developing new standards without working with the industry. Safety on the roads is a complex issue and politicians often reach for the simplistic solution.”

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Think it's about time that CYCLISTS got CAR friendly mirrors. We live in a village and cyclists are the bane of our lives. They hunt in packs and often ride 2 or sometimes 3 abreast on narrow country lanes and either haven't a clue what's behind them and therefore what traffic they are holding up whilst they are busy chatting with their mates - either that or couldn't give a stuff. I think all bicycles should be fitted with rear view mirrors.

Rant over............... will await the fall out now! :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Motorhomes comply anyway as the sides are enclosed. Might need look-down mirrors to comply fully but I doubt it. The regulation has little to do with weight other than separating delivery vans from L- & H- GVs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If my recent visits to London are anything to go by it would be more sense to ban the bloody lunatic cyclists. As a pedestrian you've more chance of being hit by a cyclist than a truck. :Eeek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why don't they just build a wall inside m25 and let them live there and leave the rest of the country to sense able people:Eeek:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Why don't they just build a wall inside m25 and let them live there and leave the rest of the country to sense able people:Eeek:

I agree with this one too,,,,, and after that just fill it with water, simples.

Trikeman.:winky:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Think it's about time that CYCLISTS got CAR friendly mirrors. We live in a village and cyclists are the bane of our lives. They hunt in packs and often ride 2 or sometimes 3 abreast on narrow country lanes and either haven't a clue what's behind them and therefore what traffic they are holding up whilst they are busy chatting with their mates - either that or couldn't give a stuff. I think all bicycles should be fitted with rear view mirrors.

Rant over............... will await the fall out now! :Angry::Angry::Angry:

I agree. I've had mirrors on my bike for about 20 years. Not sure I could cope without them. Absolutely required for planning ahead, with a final lifesaver before moving out.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Like many others you couldn't pay me enough to visit the place, even the M25 is pushing it for me, we managed perfectly well years ago without it.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Just why is it that us lot who use four wheels are constantly asked to think for those that use two ? you would think they would take more care themselves and be aware of the hazards around them, after all they are the ones who would suffer most in the event of a coming together.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I Love London::bigsmile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It's mad isn't it... And even if cyclists are to blame.. If this saves lives then its a good thing.
I think more cyclists died in the last few months in London than troops deployed abroad. That's just mad.
Most of the cycle safe stuff they talk about is fitted to most modern trucks anyhow... And it won't affect motorhomes..
I begrudgingly agree with it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Reading some of these posts it makes you wonder why so many billions from around the world is being invested here. All those foreign investors choosing this rat infested stink-hole called London to invest in property rather than taking their money to places like Paris or Barcelona.:RollEyes:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We visit London 3 or 4 times a year at least and think its a fantastic city in fact Jans off to London with the girls Weds & Thurs this week. We love it always have done but can only stick a few days at a time then we're glad to leave.
Great city got a great buzz about it.
Pity about the crazy cyclists. :winky::ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
oooh great - we get a vehicle that complies with the LEZ requirements and now as its 3850 kg gross weight or 3.85 tonnes we are getting penalised again.

This is so unfair.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If my recent visits to London are anything to go by it would be more sense to ban the bloody lunatic cyclists. As a pedestrian you've more chance of being hit by a cyclist than a truck. :Eeek:
you hit the nail on the head, his name is Boris:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I second that - would rather lick toilet bowls.

Trikeman. :winky:

Well, seeing your available, I do possess an 'Armitage-Shanks' with a slight '6 pints and a large donner' stain that needs removing..........:roflmto::winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
TfL (and the whole country) by 2114

horse-and-cart-recycling-005.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What is happening to this country?

TfL (and the whole country) by 2114

horse-and-cart-recycling-005.jpg

Once this country led the world , the list is endless but a few that come to mind are steam, cars, supersonic flight, nuclear power , towns made for cars, swamps drained to feed the people, now what have we got wind turbines , old aeroplanes, cars banned from towns , back to the 1800s with bikes, villages built on flood plains flooded now because ea want caterpillars .
Who thinks this is progress , we are going to end up with deserts while the rest of the world laughs at us and takes everything we keep giving them.:Eeek::Eeek:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
and nothing has changed since that was said
greatest city in the world and its my city only thing that spoils london is minging scots welsh and northerners coming here and moaning the more of you that declare they dont want to come here the better

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
and nothing has changed since that was said
greatest city in the world and its my city only thing that spoils london is minging scots welsh and northerners coming here and moaning the more of you that declare they dont want to come here the better

Oh come on, the place is a dump! Full of ignorent's who haven't got the time of day to say 'hello', thieves, ner-do-wells, horrendous traffic, over inflated wages, and to cap it all, POLITICIANS by the hundred!
Even Sherlock Holmes vacated the dubious pleasures of Baker Street to disappear over the Reichenbach Falls.........:whatthe:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I wonder why cyclists get knocked off

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5G4MYUXEIc"]mad-cyclists in London - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZBKzkz6dFE"]Idiot Cyclists In london - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ze-KMPL09s"]Silly Cyclist - Idiotic Riding - YouTube[/ame]

Rongob61

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But how many people have been killed by a cyclist,to many drivers forget they are in charge of a lethal weapon.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back