solar regulator lights flashing (1 Viewer)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Solar regulator not happy about being on hook up.
Everything works fine but when I plug into the mains the regulator has hysterics with lights flashing like crazy. All normal again when I unplug the hook up .
I know why it does it but will it do any harm? How can I stop it?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
possibly an indication the battery is fully charged and detecting an over voltage from the onboard charger which may be supplying 14v or more.

Try running down your battery a bit overnight then hook up again tomorrow and see if it does it when charging properly.

Sorry, missed the last line of your post.......if that is the cause i cant see it coming to any harm

Last edited:
OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Ok, I am concerned that regulator working overtime would damage it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is this a new problem or has something in your setup changed. Have you been on hookup before without any problems?

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
We rarely use hook up but this a different regulator to our last van & it's wired differently through the shaudt charger
It all works fine, just worried in case it is harming the reg.
If so am thinking a switch to disconnect it when on ehu or will that damage the panels?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is the regulator a Schaudt LR1218. It is about 6 inches by 4 inches and the base plate / surround is powder coated in blue.

Sorry - that should have said LR1218 - now corrected

Last edited:
OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Can't remember
The number 700 rings a bell but that might be the control panel

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have just re-read your first post and I see a reference to flashing lights on the regulator. Since the Schaudt LR1218 has no lights I presume that is not what you have got (image below to confirm).
If your Elektrobloc is one of the following: EBL 101, 220, or 264, it must be coupled to an LR1218. If it is an earlier model such as the EBL 99 or 100 then other regulators may be used.
I'm not sure why the installation should cause trouble with the regulator as opposed to the EBL, but if your setup has been fitted with an incompatible regulator, it is probably worth changing it. The LR1218 comes with the correct wiring harnesses to activate the Schaudt LCD control panel so you can see the power coming in from the solar, and charge the starter battery as well as habitation battery bank.

With the correct setup there should be no need to install any switch in the solar circuit. Be aware that the regulator must remain connected to the EBL and hence batteries if the solar panel is feeding it otherwise the regulator can be damaged.

If in doubt, talk to these guys on Monday - they know all about, and repair, Schaudt EBLs
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

Going to bed now - hope you sort it out.

Attachments

• LR1218.jpg
    LR1218.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 26

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
modern technology.....rubbish....a big step backwards.

The Schaudt panels appear to cause a multitude of problems..... Never had all these problems with the old manual control panels.

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I have just re-read your first post and I see a reference to flashing lights on the regulator. Since the Schaudt LR1218 has no lights I presume that is not what you have got (image below to confirm).
If your Elektrobloc is one of the following: EBL 101, 220, or 264, it must be coupled to an LR1218. If it is an earlier model such as the EBL 99 or 100 then other regulators may be used.
I'm not sure why the installation should cause trouble with the regulator as opposed to the EBL, but if your setup has been fitted with an incompatible regulator, it is probably worth changing it. The LR1218 comes with the correct wiring harnesses to activate the Schaudt LCD control panel so you can see the power coming in from the solar, and charge the starter battery as well as habitation battery bank.

With the correct setup there should be no need to install any switch in the solar circuit. Be aware that the regulator must remain connected to the EBL and hence batteries if the solar panel is feeding it otherwise the regulator can be damaged.

If in doubt, talk to these guys on Monday - they know all about, and repair, Schaudt EBLs
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

Going to bed now - hope you sort it out.

Many thanks for the info. Having read all the info on a and n's very useful site I am now happy that all is as it should be, Our EBL226 is wired up & working as it should.The flashing regulator is because its MPPT & it also flashes in low light when not on EHU & this is normal apparently but I am going to take their advise & fit a fuse in the solar input live.

Thanks again for this useful link.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back