>>> Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I could hear

>>> it unlock again!!

>>> Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two

>>> men sitting in a car

>>> next to the Store.

>>> They were obviously

>>> watching me intently, and there seemed no doubt they

>>> were somehow

>>> involved in this very weird situation.

>>> I quickly

>>> abandoned my errand, jumped into my car and sped away.

>>> I went

>>> straight to the police station, told them what had happened, and

>>> found

>>> out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to

>>> gain

>>> entry into parked cars.

>>> Two weeks later, my friend's son had a

>>> similar experience....While

>>> travelling, he stopped at a motorway

>>> service area to use the toilet.

>>> When he came out to his car less

>>> than 5 minutes later, someone had managed

>>> to get into his car and had

>>> stolen his mobile phone, laptop computer,

>>> sat-nav, briefcase and other

>>> belongings.

>>> He called the police and since there were no signs of

>>> his car having been

>>> broken into, the police told him he had probably

>>> been a victim of the latest

>>> robbery tactic - there is a device that

>>> robbers are using now to clone your

>>> security code when you lock your

>>> doors on your car using your remote locking

>>> device.

>>> They sit a

>>> distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you

>>> are

>>> going inside the Store, restaurant, or whatever and that they now have

>>> a

>>> few minutes to steal and run.

>>> The police officer said always to

>>> lock your car manually with the key when

>>> parking in a public area.

>>> That way if there is someone sitting in a car

>>> nearby watching for their

>>> next victim, it will not be you.

>>> When you lock up with the key upon

>>> exiting, it does not send the security

>>> code, but if you walk away and

>>> use the remote button, it sends the code

>>> through the airwaves where it

>>> can be easily intercepted by the device.

>>> This is very real. Be

>>> aware of what you just read and please pass this

>>> information on.

>>> Look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote just to be

>>> sure we

>>> remembered to lock them -- and bingo, someone has our code...

>>> and

>>> potentially whatever is in our car."

>>>

:Eeek:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The industry uses random encryption rolling code systems. This means that the code is never used more than once.

So IF and it is a BIG if, someone was able grab a code, and reproduced it to disarm a security system, that system will ignore it the "grabbed code"

My Strikeback system for example has two hundred and seventy billion potential codes, and when the remote control button is pressed, a code is transmitted, then that code is deleted and then a new code is readied, randomly selected from those billions of codes.

So no it doesn't happen on decent systems.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The industry uses random encryption rolling code systems. This means that the code is never used more than once.

So IF and it is a BIG if, someone was able grab a code, and reproduced it to disarm a security system, that system will ignore it the "grabbed code"

My Strikeback system for example has two hundred and seventy billion potential codes, and when the remote control button is pressed, a code is transmitted, then that code is deleted and then a new code is readied, randomly selected from those billions of codes.

Thanks Eddie, I understand but reading again the beginning of my thread it seems that the code could be picked up immediately and possibly cancelling the original locking instruction .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Yes its a sort of threat as it alarms a lot of people...
If it comes by email and says "pass it on " then there is a very high chance its a hoax and wastes a lot of peoples time.

barry

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes its a sort of threat as it alarms a lot of people...
If it comes by email and says "pass it on " then there is a very high chance its a hoax and wastes a lot of peoples time.

barry

I don't ignore everything that arrives by e mail. If someone could state categorically that this is not possible then the threat could be ignored :thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996

On security matters I would trust Eddie's advice over the opinion of any policeman.:Smile:

Mike

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
short reply as busy at the NEC. Theoretically: the range of a remote fob is very small, you would need quite a bit of kit to capture a signal, simultaneously that you capture the signal the alarm would have already activated and deleted that code from the memory. A split second later the "device" theoretically has a code that is obsolete, so useless.

All of this done within a few feet, the distance that you have to be from the vehicle for the remote to operate.

It was a potential threat about 20 years ago, and the introduction of random encryption, rolling codes eliminated it.

In the UK it will not happen.

Snopes is American and the some of the American devices on the market use a system which we feel is inferior :thumb:

Have a good day an think of poor old me, been at the NEC since Sunday and cant leave till Monday. Throat, knees and liver starting to rebel :winky:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
No problem!! You need this fantastic new security system from the good old USofA.....AND, it only costs bananas to fit!! :thumb:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB6uM2hRpo"]Trunk Monkey Car Thief Funny Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Thats interesting but please explain how you can then unlock with a dfferent fob?
Say we go shopping & I drop my wife outside a shop, I park the car & follow her into the shop but she returns to the car before me & unlocks it with her remote, how? If the code has changed her fob would not work.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thats interesting but please explain how you can then unlock with a dfferent fob?
Say we go shopping & I drop my wife outside a shop, I park the car & follow her into the shop but she returns to the car before me & unlocks it with her remote, how? If the code has changed her fob would not work.

Her remote is the same as your remote: the system expects one of its random codes in the same way as it does for yours. Only remotes that are programmed to work with that vehicle will unlock it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
our key fobs have a 16 digit alpha numeric code. The code has to be correct, before the unit will accept a command. So fob two doesn't have to keep up with fob one!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
locking by key MAY leave your vehicle vulnerable.

Zapping the blipper turns on your alarm, immob and locks the doors.

Some lesser quality/older alarm immobs may not be passive and only activated by the fob so key locking could leave you unalarmed/unimmobilised.

As already said, rolling code is very hard to clone as the unlock code hasnt been electronically transmitted so cant be intercepted.

Im sure i heard of a box of tricks which generates and transmit's thousands of codes almost instantly which may fall lucky but then many cars could be unlocked in a busy carpark....but not the one they want.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
our key fobs have a 16 digit alpha numeric code. The code has to be correct, before the unit will accept a command. So fob two doesn't have to keep up with fob one!

Still don't get it, either the code has to be the same or it doesn't?
Fob 2 can't know what code fob 1 used & if its just a matter of a random 16 digit code then a code generator could just keep sending random codes until one worked?
Thats why I hate electronics, all smoke & mirrors, give me a mechanical problem everytime.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Still don't get it, either the code has to be the same or it doesn't?
Fob 2 can't know what code fob 1 used & if its just a matter of a random 16 digit code then a code generator could just keep sending random codes until one worked?
Thats why I hate electronics, all smoke & mirrors, give me a mechanical problem everytime.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Almost tempted to press my remote 300 times whilst in work tonight to test it out:ROFLMAO:
Maybe not, very long walk home if it does :Blush:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back