New MoHo's - quality gone down hill? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Went to the NEC today and I have to say looking at, and in, the new, shiny MoHo's I couldn't help feeling 'if this is the best some manufacturers can do, I'll keep my 06 plater'. Caravans just seem better kitted out and put together these days.

It seems the veneered interiors are getting 'cheap' looking and door mechanisms to door interfaces are almost pathetic,,,,, on some. The bright lights and inner glitz didn't hide the fact they seem so cheap - is it to do with the financial issues around? Some of these MoHo's are in triple figures and seem 'fragile' - why is this?

Thin veneered, square cornered pieces of mdf screwed together and mass use of screw head blanking plugs everywhere - my 06 plate Apache seems much better inside than the majority there today.

It doesn't seem to be going the right way since the cash crash for sure.

What does everyone think,,,,,,,,, or am I being a little too 'hard for my cash' on cash strapped manufacturers?

Trikeman. :winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Totally agree I said the same in my thread after my visit to NEC earlier this week.
My 02 Hymer is far superior quality to anything we saw at the NEC this week including one at £129000.00 :Eeek:

As for caravans we were really impressed and I can see us ending up with a caravan eventually when we travel less and stay in one place longer. Certainly seems better value for money than a new m/home.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I went this week courtesy of Jim (thank you very much) I did not see anything I would want to change to including the new models of my IH ,I agree it seems its all fur coat and ******* .

I would like to mention I looked at air con at a few places all telling me how brilliant it could be in my van I then went to Vanbitz to ask Eddie who I trust. He told me in no uncertain terms on my particular van it is not suitable due to the design of the roof and would LEAK if fitted even though no one else mentioned that. So thank you Eddie for not offering to take my money and fit something that would probably leak water eventually you will never be rich but I bet you sleep at night .
That is the reason I advise anyone to use Vanbitz they tell you the truth even when it means they loose a sale Eddies customers would not go anywhere else THANK YOU Eddie.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I thought the same when I went to the NEC on Tuesday, the new models are not a patch on the older ones, all glitz and plastic, wonder how many will be around in 20 - 30 years time, none I expect, yet there are plenty of old MH about now and still going strong. pre 2007 the quality was /is far better.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I suspect age may be catching up with the motorhome industry. By that I mean drivers' age, not the vans'. The upcoming motorhoming generation does not have the advantage of our C1 licence rights and so there is a focus on keeping below 3,500kg. I know this has been a concern on the continent for many years but somehow the older German / French vans did not seem to stint on quality. I guess people who had to have a 3,500 kg van just put up with low payload. Now it seems, everyone wants chrome railings, porcelain loos, gilt bo**ock polishers, a monster inverter for the bee-hive drier and coffee machine, loads of other electrical gear and a big island bed. Try getting that into a van with MAM of 3,499 kg and something has to give - the quality of the fittings and 'carpentry'.

I hate to say it, but I would not buy a Hymer later than 2005/6 model year. After that the internal build quality went downhill. I'm referring to the ones with the slanty-wrap-around headlights that cost over £1,000 when they break. And I'm a Hymer fan!
So, in my opinion, stick to the Hymers with twin round headlamp pairs (A/B class) or earlier for better quality interiors.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Went to the NEC today and I have to say looking at, and in, the new, shiny MoHo's I couldn't help feeling 'if this is the best some manufacturers can do, I'll keep my 06 plater'. Caravans just seem better kitted out and put together these days.

It seems the veneered interiors are getting 'cheap' looking and door mechanisms to door interfaces are almost pathetic,,,,, on some. The bright lights and inner glitz didn't hide the fact they seem so cheap - is it to do with the financial issues around? Some of these MoHo's are in triple figures and seem 'fragile' - why is this?

Thin veneered, square cornered pieces of mdf screwed together and mass use of screw head blanking plugs everywhere - my 06 plate Apache seems much better inside than the majority there today.

It doesn't seem to be going the right way since the cash crash for sure.

What does everyone think,,,,,,,,, or am I being a little too 'hard for my cash' on cash strapped manufacturers?

Trikeman. :winky:

Your so very right!! We went over to German tow caravans years ago, (Pre MH), and found them to be much better constructed, with many 'extras' thrown in that UK firms charged for. That's why I wanted an old Hymer when we sold our last tug, a Fendt.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I brought my m/h a e/400 24 years ago.it still look new inside.it is still going great.i would like to upgrade,but find any thing with the same workman ship.i will stay with mine.:thumb:

chickndorinda

Free Member
Jun 5, 2013
Meriden uk
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
chickndorinda

Went to NEC this week and also found build quality of Mo Ho's very tacky, only thing that caught my eye was wet heating, will consider that in my next van ( when I win lottery) LOL

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just playing Devil's advocate. How many of these quality manufacturers are still independent? Many I suspect have been bought out by more successful companies. No profits in quality it seems. Otherwise why would there be Aires?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I think weight IS one of the influencing factors in the lightweight feel everything built today seems to have.. Yes, the lighter materials used DO mean greater profit for the makers, but, I for one need to keep the MAM under 3,500kg as I handed my HGV licence in when I had a pacemaker fitted.. I really could not be bothered to do all the treadmill tests they wanted
( even though I could do it without getting a sweat on ).. If we can't get something into the van and keep within the weight, it doesn't go !! It helps that we are naturists whenever possible.. A lot less clothes.. Mitch.. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Pre 2007 credit , inheritance , loans were available to anybody on a phone call :Eeek:

Quality was what drove a manufacturer to out sell another.

Without free flowing credit nowadays they have to cut something , so corners and quality are cut.:cry:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My oldtimer at 24 years old is still going strong with 180000kms on the clock. All the door and drawer hinges and knobs are original and work as they were intended. No damp whatsoever and no rust. The only thing that's not original is the floor covering, as originally it had carpet which we changed as we don't get on with carpets. We had it reupholstered, not because the original was worn but to update the interior. Of course its heavy, with a gross of 4.6 tons, and at under 7 metres that is quite heavy, but the build quality will never be matched again as few would be prepared to pay the new price for a custom built motorhome. The side walls and roof are of monologue construction and 50mm thick with a sandwich of glass fibre, aluminium, marine ply and polystyrene. Even the cab windows are double glazed. I know of no modern motorhome that comes anywhere near the build quality of an RMB Silver Star, not at any price.

Attachments

• RMB 021.jpg
    RMB 021.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 21
  • RMB makeover 011.jpg
    RMB makeover 011.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 29
  • RMB makeover 009.jpg
    RMB makeover 009.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 28
  • RMB 017.jpg
    RMB 017.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 26

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you are right the old ones are the best.everything in my van is original.inc the fridge the fire. and the carpet.the doors and drawers.are all still working fine..the only thing I have had to change is the fire ind. and the van door lock. thank you elddis.24 years young.and still going strong.and because I am getting old I have had I have had elec power streering fitted.its great.:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back