Gaslow refillable (2 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone got one of these, http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/...Path=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Categories/Cylinders
Seems a good deal to me , says most filling stations won't let you fill if you take it out of locker but what about if you fill it in the locker, is that ok? If I have one there is plenty of room in there where the other bottle was, and I wouldn't need two as I could keep it filled, it's even cheaper than the safe fill ones and looks all round better , no need for drilling holes and easy to move onto another or even take out for BBQ s and stuff.
Does it do what it says on the tin, very tempted:thumb::thumb:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Has anyone got one of these, http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/...Path=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Categories/Cylinders
Seems a good deal to me , says most filling stations won't let you fill if you take it out of locker but what about if you fill it in the locker, is that ok? If I have one there is plenty of room in there where the other bottle was, and I wouldn't need two as I could keep it filled, it's even cheaper than the safe fill ones and looks all round better , no need for drilling holes and easy to move onto another or even take out for BBQ s and stuff.
In theory Autogas stations don't allow direct bottle filling - they expect to see a filler on the outside of the vehicle. However for the last 8 years I have used a tank (horizontal) fitted in my gas locker with the filler mounted inside the locker (in other words, as far as the Autogas station is concerned, exactly what you will have). I have never been questioned and have never had any attendant come out onto the forecourt to have a look. I have filled at every type of filling station from Autogas at motorway services to Calor depots without issue. I believe that providing that a 'cylinder' isn't dragged out onto the forecourt for filling no-one will take any interest at all.

The reason for the rule is that a forecourt attendant cannot be expected to know the difference between someone illicitly filling a cylinder & someone doing the same with a vertical tank (with its inherent 80% cut-off and other safety features).

Go ahead - it looks to be a good deal! :Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry49

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Lymm
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
Gaslow

Had a 11kg bottle fitted 2 years ago and had no problem filling it in the UK and while driving through France. I just open the gas locker, fill using the direct fill on top of the bottle, ave top up £8. Terry C

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have the Alugas system fitted, same as the gaslow system, but about £100 cheaper and 11kg bottles are super light which is critical when watching your weight, I swear by this system as no more hunting for exchange places and when abroad, almost impossible to get bottles exchanged or even filled up, so this system is the bees knees, as you only have to find nearest gge that does LPG and simply top up your bottles whenever you want so always get 100% usage of the gas in the bottles, no more swapping bottles that may have gas left in them. Only problem with having filler inside of bottle cabinet is that attendant may not allow you to fill as it is illegal to fill bottles yourself, you are only allowed to fill fitted tanks like cars have, but most of the time you will get away with it, but better to have filler on outside of body maybe on the skirt near the gas locker, then it looks like you are just filling up your fitted tank, just my opinion of coarse, although I have seen it twice now, once in France and once in Spain when the attendant refused to switch on the pump when motorhomer opened the gas locker to fill up bottles via the filler which was located inside the gas locker, so I think always better to have the filler on the outside of the body maybe in the skirt so you don't touch the gas locker at all so not attracting any attention to maybe trying to fill gas bottles. Overall best system you can have fitted, maybe expensive but no more hunting out gas filling depots and lugging bottles in and out of the gas locker, and actually running out of gas when you are abroad.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well, think I'm convinced , just rang a local dealer in kidsgrove stoke and they have them in stock at £129 so better deal than ever fiver cheaper and no carriage ,probably pick one up tomorrow, get it filled while there and ready to go::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
We fitted our own Gaslow system in 2007.

Bottle, Filler, Hose, about £180. Drill to make a hole in the side of the van for the filler cap £20.

Time, about 20mins.

Hardest part, deciding where to drill the van body, and making the first turn of the drill. (point of no return)

If you can change a gas bottle, you can fit a Gaslow system.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We fitted our own Gaslow system in 2007.

Bottle, Filler, Hose, about £180. Drill to make a hole in the side of the van for the filler cap £20.

Time, about 20mins.

Hardest part, deciding where to drill the van body, and making the first turn of the drill. (point of no return)

If you can change a gas bottle, you can fit a Gaslow system.

If I get the fill able bottle with the connector on top and it isn't good enough I can get the remote filler at a later date, but don't think I will need it as we don't use that much gas and will surely find somewhere to fill it, just need one that I can fill in Europe if we run out there :thumb:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
therefore, its not true to assume that "no need to drill holes" however unless there is a need to take the bottle out of the locker it will remain in there as the bottle will be filled via the refill connection:Cool:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
If I get the fill able bottle with the connector on top and it isn't good enough I can get the remote filler at a later date, but don't think I will need it as we don't use that much gas and will surely find somewhere to fill it, just need one that I can fill in Europe if we run out there :thumb:

Be aware, I don't know of anywhere that you can fill bottle without exchanging and this type of bottle is designed not to be removed for filling, you can only refill via filler fitted to into body or skirt or fitted inside gas locker Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, think I'm convinced , just rang a local dealer in kidsgrove stoke and they have them in stock at £129 so better deal than ever fiver cheaper and no carriage ,probably pick one up tomorrow, get it filled while there and ready to go::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb:

I'd suggest going in your motorhome so you can check it will fit and allow you to fill it too - if you have an opening height smaller than the cylinder you may find the top of the locker prevents you attaching the filler gun! :RollEyes:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Be aware, I don't know of anywhere that you can fill bottle without exchanging and this type of bottle is designed not to be removed for filling, you can only refill via filler fitted to into body or skirt or fitted inside gas locker Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

No , that was my point, if you look at the bottle in the link http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/...Path=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Categories/Cylinders
You don't need a hole the filler is on the top of the bottle, hadn't seen one before only the safefill one, but this one seems the one for me.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'd suggest going in your motorhome so you can check it will fit and allow you to fill it too - if you have an opening height smaller than the cylinder you may find the top of the locker prevents you attaching the filler gun! :RollEyes:

Yes that is my intention, better than sending off for one, I shall be able to answer all the questions in one go then. Actually on looking at the photos they seem to be lower than a normal propane bottle without the handle thingy on the top

Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

" top of the locker prevents you attaching the filler gun! "

GasLow, sorry what do you mean? the refill gun does not fit directly to the bottle, yes as all bottles the dimension of the bottle must be established in order to fit the locker:Smile:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Well that might be the case in your area, there's four within an fifteen mile radius of our house, in fact we found one at a BP Station six miles away so were off there tonight to do our first fill:Smile:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
" top of the locker prevents you attaching the filler gun! "

GasLow, sorry what do you mean? the refill gun does not fit directly to the bottle, yes as all bottles the dimension of the bottle must be established in order to fit the locker:Smile:

If you look at the link you will see that the hose indeed does connect to the top of the bottle, never seen one before myself till last night, looks a winner:thumb:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If you look at the link you will see that the hose indeed does connect to the top of the bottle, never seen one before myself till last night, looks a winner:thumb:

I dont need to look at the link...I fitted mine as said in my post ...of course the refill hose attach's to the top of the bottle and the other end of the hose fits to the bayonet kit which you fit either in the locker (if space allows) or on the outside :Smile:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I dont need to look at the link...I fitted mine as said in my post ...of course the refill hose attach's to the top of the bottle and the other end of the hose fits to the bayonet kit which you fit either in the locker (if space allows) or on the outside :Smile:

No ,the pump hose connects direct to the top of the bottle , no extension hose or anything else,nothing to fit, please have a look at the link:Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Actually you DO need to look at the link as this is not the same Gaslow bottle that you appear to have with a length of pipe running from it to which a filler bayonet is attached. :RollEyes:

On the link, you can clearly see that on this new alternative style Gaslow bottle the filler is attached directly to the top of the cylinder, thereby an external filler is unnecessary. I have the same type as you with a bayonet kit but if I didn't I would consider this new type as we've never ever had a problem filling our cylinder up despite our filler bayonet being mounted on a bracket in the gas locker itself.

:Smile:

Attachments

• directfill_web.jpg
    directfill_web.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No ,the pump hose connects direct to the top of the bottle , no extension hose or anything else,nothing to fit, please have a look at the link:Doh:

no please read my first post the GasLow Bottle I referred to is the latest R67...You have installed one have you??????

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
no please read my first post the GasLow Bottle I referred to is the latest R67...You have installed one have you??????

Sorry, you are wrong, it's NOT the r67, doesn't need installing its self contained,
Look at the ******* link ?!!!!

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
I have the Alugas system fitted, same as the gaslow system, but about £100 cheaper and 11kg bottles are super light which is critical when watching your weight, I swear by this system as no more hunting for exchange places and when abroad, almost impossible to get bottles exchanged or even filled up, so this system is the bees knees, as you only have to find nearest gge that does LPG and simply top up your bottles whenever you want so always get 100% usage of the gas in the bottles, no more swapping bottles that may have gas left in them. Only problem with having filler inside of bottle cabinet is that attendant may not allow you to fill as it is illegal to fill bottles yourself, you are only allowed to fill fitted tanks like cars have, but most of the time you will get away with it, but better to have filler on outside of body maybe on the skirt near the gas locker, then it looks like you are just filling up your fitted tank, just my opinion of coarse, although I have seen it twice now, once in France and once in Spain when the attendant refused to switch on the pump when motorhomer opened the gas locker to fill up bottles via the filler which was located inside the gas locker, so I think always better to have the filler on the outside of the body maybe in the skirt so you don't touch the gas locker at all so not attracting any attention to maybe trying to fill gas bottles. Overall best system you can have fitted, maybe expensive but no more hunting out gas filling depots and lugging bottles in and out of the gas locker, and actually running out of gas when you are abroad.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

The Alugas bottle is £137.41 + VAT total £164.89, 3 hole with gauge are £184.92 inc vat (check it out their add is on the right hand side of the desktop) Thats just the bottle :Eeek:

Gasit do a complete kit, bottle, filler and hose for £158.58. This is pretty much identical to the Gaslow system. I have just fitted a Gasit system but to be honest, unless you are dead handy (i am) i would go with the Gaslow system, a bit more expensive but straightforward fitting.

An Aluminium bottle saves you a miserly 4KG in weight, when you are my size that's peanuts :ROFLMAO:

The new direct fill bottle looks reasonable, but i would hate to be turned away from a petrol station when needing a refill, that's why i excluded the Safefill bottle :cry:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The new direct fill bottle looks reasonable, but i would hate to be turned away from a petrol station when needing a refill, that's why i excluded the Safefill bottle

Yeah, agree, but this gaslow one , you can convert it after so best of both worlds, if it doesn't work nothing lost but the safefill one ,you can't do nothing with.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sorry, you are wrong, it's NOT the r67, doesn't need installing its self contained,
Look at the ******* link ?!!!!

Oh dear now were being Abusive, poor chap !! go to your 'link' click on refillables scroll down come to the new R67 Bottle.. £167 thats my system, please don't tell me what Iv'e not fitted
GasLow developed this new bottle due to the French having strops about people removing their refillable bottles out of the gas locker and taking the bottle to the Service Station, there's plenty of post's relating to this issue on this site as well as UK Motorhomes forum's

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh dear now were being Abusive, poor chap !! go to your 'link' click on refillables scroll down come to the new R67 Bottle.. £167 thats my system, please don't tell me what Iv'e not fitted
GasLow developed this new bottle due to the French having strops about people removing their refillable bottles out of the gas locker and taking the bottle to the Service Station, there's plenty of post's relating to this issue on this site as well as UK Motorhomes forum's

I am not being abusive , and I'm not telling you what you've got, but you just keep going on about something different than I am talking about, it's not r67 and it is 6kg which is the only one I can fit and is self contained with the filler bayonet right on top of the bottle, and I know about removing bottles, but what I asked is can you fill this bottle while it is still in the locker, any road up I am going to the dealer this morning and going to try it in, so hopefully will let you know tonight ::bigsmile::thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Chasers preferred system

Spot the difference

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 38
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
French stations will only allow French motorhomes to fill with gas if they are registered as powered by GPL. Luckily this doesn't apply to foreigners like us :Smile:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We have an Alugas bottle with the remote filler fitted in the corner of the locker, I have only once been refused a fill which was about the time that the stupid idiot started selling on Ebay adapters to fill standard bottles which is very dangerous as it is difficult to not over fill. I also have a French Registered Motorhome so I think the previous comment about the French Vans is perhaps inaccurate.
One point to bear in mind with these new Gaslow bottles is; can the foreign adapters be fitted to the bayonet nozzle, as each country has a different filler. The Spanish have now introduced yet another but the filling stations all seem to have the adaptor some screw in as all the others but one we came across fitted into the French one..
Another point to bear in mind is that some of the pump nozzles take two hands and quite a push so to fill on the ground as the picture shows without the help of another person is perhaps unrealistic.
All in all for the difference in price I would stick with the remote fill I have, after all the major benefit is the convenience and usability in Europe. The cost really is of secondary importance.
I would also like a certificate from Gaslow in four languages that it is an approved system before I would buy one.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back