Dirty Water (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
HAVE PICKED UP SOME NONE DRINKABLE WATER NEED TO CLEAN OUT MY TANK.
WOULD USE MILTON AT HOME AND THE FLUSH,
BEEN TO A FEW SUPERMARKETS NOT FOUND ANY.
ANY ONE ANY IDEAS.
in Portugal at moment.
Laurie.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Milton is a weak solution of bleach. Just make sure you clean out well afterwards to get rid of the taint the alternative is to not drink from the tank unless boiled first. bottled water is cheap enough.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Milton is a weak solution of bleach. Just make sure you clean out well afterwards to get rid of the taint the alternative is to not drink from the tank unless boiled first. bottled water is cheap enough.

Thanks for the quick reply,
I don't drink out of the tank it just to stop any bacteria that may be in the water.
Laurie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
What makes you think it is not drinkable, did it have non-portable on it? We can't think of any water in Portugal that will harm you, sometimes there a reason to mark the tap as non-portable as it is used for cleaning cassettes risking contamination. Some fonts are not regularly examined, so that sign is put on as a precaution. If you are near to a water supply, just dump all you have and refill. If you really want to clean it, visit a pharmacy and ask for babies bottle cleaning fluid, that's all Milton is used for generally. Or they could have sterilising tablets and most of them speak English too.

Bye for now - we are leaving Portugal tomorrow - back home unfortunately.

Nigel and Pamala

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As Roger said .. use regular household bleach.. about a cup to a tank will clean it out..

NB>>> NOT THICK STUFF<< it has detergent that you DON'T want.

Add the bleach to a full tank, pump though the pipes until you can smell at the taps..don't forget the shower head..

Leave for about 15 mins.. then drain or pump out.. fill and flush.. drain and fill and you will have a super clean water system.

That's all I've ever done.. and never ever had anyone with a stomach bug .. and we always used the tank water for drinking..

Just for info .. don't waste money (cheap as it is ) on bottled water

Bottled water contains more bacteria than tapwater, with some brands found to harbour levels 100 times above permitted limits, according to new research.Broken Link Removed

If still concerned instal a Nature Pure Filter .. you can drink canal water after it's been though one of them.. :thumb:

Last edited:

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Go to the Icecream shop and see what they use for their Icecream scopes ( to clean them ) I used to put some Milton in the container that held the scopes when I wasn't serving someone. So more than likely it will be the same type of thing they would have to use.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
From an old post of mine..
Milton is dilute Sodium Hypochlorite solution - otherwise known as BLEACH. If you buy THIN bleach it is exactly the same chemical composition as Milton, just a little more concentrated. (Bleach is usually a 4-5% sodium hypochlorite solution whereas Milton is about 1-2%). And bleach is a lot cheaper!

(Note that thick Domestos-style bleaches have other additives so they are not the same).

For babies bottles etc. you might want to stick to Milton etc. to ensure you get exactly the right concentration, but for other purposes thin bleach is exactly the same and is a lot cheaper.

It goes to show how effective branding can be to persuade people to pay an awful lot more for exactly the same product..

Don't take my word, If in any doubt, Google.. Milton COSHH safety

one I Googled earlier

Broken Link Removed

Milton , about £2.50 per liter
Common or thin Bleach in Tesco .. 18p for 2.5 lt

As an aside..

When I was the Maintenance manager for a large sandwich company in London, Sodium Hypochlorite, (ie BLEACH) was used in the salad washer .. this was basically a large bath with an agitator where the lettuce, tomatoes etc were washed before being used in the production of sandwiches..

After washing they were shaken dry.. NOT rinsed..

Bleach, or to give it the correct name Sodium Hypochlorite, is still the best (and cheapest) product for killing bacteria and viruses .. used wisely and carefully it cannot be beaten.

Buy Milton by all means, but don't be conned into thinking it is better.. it's dilute bleach .. nothing else

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Remember not to leave chlorine based products in contact with stainless steel, such as water heaters.

Truma specific advice here:
Broken Link Removed

Reads a bit like a tabloid scare story & remember that they have their own descaler/purification product to sell, but the underlying message is no doubt sound.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Remember not to leave chlorine based products in contact with stainless steel, such as water heaters.

Truma specific advice here:
Broken Link Removed

Reads a bit like a tabloid scare story & remember that they have their own descaler/purification product to sell, but the underlying message is no doubt sound.

point made..

I've read that before.. but in my extensive experience both in industry and as a consumer I have yet to see any damage to stainless steel using dilute bleach.. my misses uses it like it's going out of fashion on our kitchen s/s sink.

Of course there is 'stainless steel' and 'stainless steel'.. as you are no doubt aware, it comes in several grades .. for example, we have cheap s/s cutlery that rusts in a dish washer .. :Doh:

What we are talking about is a cup of bleach at 5%, diluted with say 20+ gals .. That's a ratio of about 800 / 1 at 5% .. = 0.00625%

that's weak, it certainly won't damage a water boiler with a contact time of 10 - 15 mins.

The boiler is more likely to be damaged by limescale.. how many descale it at least once a year?

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
As Roger said .. use regular household bleach.. about a cup to a tank will clean it out..

NB>>> NOT THICK STUFF<< it has detergent that you DON'T want.

Add the bleach to a full tank, pump though the pipes until you can smell at the taps..don't forget the shower head..

Leave for about 15 mins.. then drain or pump out.. fill and flush.. drain and fill and you will have a super clean water system.

That's all I've ever done.. and never ever had anyone with a stomach bug .. and we always used the tank water for drinking..

Just for info .. don't waste money (cheap as it is ) on bottled water

Bottled water contains more bacteria than tapwater, with some brands found to harbour levels 100 times above permitted limits, according to new research.Broken Link Removed

If still concerned instal a Nature Pure Filter .. you can drink canal water after it's been though one of them.. :thumb:

Why not Detergent?
Laurie.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why not Detergent?
Laurie.

Detergent is added to bleach primarily as a thickening agent to help it 'cling' to the surface of whatever it comes into contact with.. it's designed to be 'flush' resistant which would make it very difficult to flush out, leaving detergent residue in the pipes, pump etc.

you really don't want this in a drinking water tank..

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
how many descale it at least once a year?
I do Jim, with cheap white vinegar from the Cash & Carry. :winky: £3 something for 4 Litres. :thumb:

Thanks for the tips re ordinary bleach, and "NOT THICK STUFF". :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
white vinegar is all I use , not only cleans the tank and pipework as it is a mild disinfectant but with a good strong solution also descales the boiler

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Tank Flush

Hi guys and girls all sorted now cheap bleach and flushed a few times.::bigsmile:,
I FOUND A NEW AIRE , well new to me, may not be to you guys .
lts called Camperstop Messines Sao Bartolomeu de Messines.
N37°16'45.9" W8°14'29.8" Nice young Dutch couple that run it very helpful told him of my problem he offered to go to town and get me somtink to clean my tanks with.
Also no problem on flushing my tanks a few time either,.
I offered to pay extra for the water but he said no, just get clean and be happy.
Sounds like Pedros don't it.
only 5 euro per night showers wifi , large pitchs, nice and flat
Gravel surface. Toilets,
Takes you down to the Restaurant, and picks you back up.
Good walking area, he also does guided walks.
Supermarket trips.
DOWN SIDE NO HOOKUPS AS YET WAITING FOR THEM TO BE PUT IN.
ROOM FOR 40 VANS OR 60 FRENCH VANS:RollEyes:
Laurie.

Vinomog

Free Member
Dec 4, 2011
Europe for now
Funster No
MH
Bimobil
Exp
Since Aug 2011
I can't understand why people don't have a Nature Pure filter as a matter of course. In fact, MH manufacturers should either fit as standard or, at least, offer as an option. As has been said, you can put anything through it and get drinkable water out of it, and I can say this from experience. OK it costs a bit, but you never have to worry about finding "aqua potabile" ever again. No more 5 litre containers to buy and find space for.

End of advert, and I have ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION with Nature Pure other than as a very satisfied user.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back