Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Can anyone confirm if this Solar regulator works the way it should, the instructions are pigeon chinese/english.

Have put two pics of displays.

The left 24 amp works fine and displays battery/charge/load. No problems there.

The middle one 20 amp..is the unsure one, it shows two greens, charge/battery (so think its charging but) you press the power button which shows a number display which we have set at 6, which we think is general use. the red displat only stays on for a few seconds then goes out..(unsure if the unit still on) At night the charge green light goes out which it should as no sun and the load light comes on.

The right one 10 amp shows two greens charge/battery and when you push the power button the red led stays on, which is switched on and working fine.

The main question is , is the middle one working right and still charging when red display goes out.

Attachments

• P1060067.jpg
    P1060067.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 90
  • P1060068.jpg
    P1060068.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 57

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am a little confused as to why you would need 2 regulators. Unless am mistaken, are they coupled together ?.

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We have 4 regulators which run different solar panels to different power batterys. The new regulator which is the centre one is working in a different way to the others.

Just thought someone who has this type of regulator knows what the display is when working correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Am a little confused as to why you would need 2 regulators. Unless am mistaken, are they coupled together ?.

Never mind two I count three of the buggers. Unless they are all connected to separate and unconnected batteries I would suggest the problem lies with there being multiple regulators. Assuming the batteries are connected together in paralel and all three regs are connected to the same bank then when close to fully charged the regs will conflict with each other. The cutoff voltage of one reg, even of identical design and manufacture is unlikey to be precisely the same as another one so when one reg sees the batteries as full it switches off (into float condition) but another reg hasn't quite reached the same conclusion so continues to offer up charge to the batteries.

It would be far better to replace all three regs with one unit that can handle the maximum current possible from the panel array.

D.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A very odd setup indeed. Would it not be better to have one regulator doing the job. I don't trust Chinese regulators anyway. German or American are the only ones I would use personally. You have an American RV Brian, if you put Chinese parts on it, you will finish up with a Chinese camper.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
German as in Steca???? They're Chinese too :roflmto: as is most stuff now with expensive badges like Sterling for example

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
German as in Steca???? They're Chinese too :roflmto: as is most stuff now with expensive badges like Sterling for example

Thats as maybe, but with German technology, design and quality control. Having seen inside one of the Chinese designed ones I think I will stick to what I know to be reliable. Not much point in spending hundreds of pounds on solar panels and relying on a 30 quid Chinese regulator to control them.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Seeing inside of ONE is not typical
Steca are made by fangpusun solar China but twice the price with Steca name on
Inside identical.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
regardless of how the controllers are wired the red button will serve no purpose in your case.

The button is to enable a low current appliance (around 2 amps) to work from the controller at night, basically backfeeding from the batteries.......could be something like a porch light or background night light etc. But as you have nothing connected to the terminals, the pair on the right hand side, it will do nothing.
As soon as the controller see's voltage from the solar panel at daybreak it switches off the supply

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine looks like this, have you looked in yours :roflmto:
MPPT-XL.jpg

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I have the same regulator and it has worked fine for the last two years. Look at the graphic on the front, it clearly displays the different modes and light combinations. As for the red light and switch Pappjohn is right. I actually run my alarm from this source on the premise that I have two leisure batteries, charged by my solar panel and I think far better than using the main vehicle battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back