4 leisure batteries - that should do it... (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I've two 110a/h batteries and run a 800w inverter on them. You'd think this would be enough for most people but if you do you'd be a man and then of course you'd be wrong :Doh:

So because the mini 600w hairdryer I bought isn't good enough I need to find a way to satisfy the demands of a hairdryer that will pull circa 2kw.

So I could...

Take out the existing inverter and buy something bigger

Or

Add two new batteries (and battery box) and use the four batteries and larger inverter to give me enough power to never go on a hook-up again.

Anyone have any practical advice or thoughts?

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i bought this to keep the wife happy,

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

and to push the boat out with her,,

Broken Link Removed

how does it all power,,,,

Broken Link Removed

and two of these,,,,,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281248073912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and to store this power just to keep the kids the wife entertained ,,,

Broken Link Removed

the outcome,,,,,,wifes and kids are expensive to keep them watchin the tv when yer out and about and its raining, if there no happy then there not gona play ball and go out in the motorhome,,,,,,and when its been raining they need there hairdryer and tongs thats chick for ya,,,,, me i just shuv a dry tammy on ma head job done,,,,,:thumb:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

and two of these,,,,,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281248073912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Broken Link Removed

the outcome,,,,,,wifes and kids are expensive to keep them watchin the tv when yer out and about and its raining, if there no happy then there not gona play ball and go out in the motorhome,,,,,,and when its been raining they need there hairdryer and tongs thats chick for ya,,,,, me i just shuv a dry tammy on ma head job done,,,,,:thumb:

Wow! I am not alone in trying to "fix" these issues.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In practice most women don't use 2kw it's more likely around 1.2 without burning their hair.
:thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If you have blown warm air heating get her to kneel in front of the vents, if you care about her, attach an old vacuum cleaner hose to the outlet so she can move it about whilst sitting.:thumb:
Failing that there is a big diesel hair-dryer under the bonnet, set all heater vents to her side.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

and two of these,,,,,

Broken Link Removed

My maths may be a little out but close to 2k to dry her hair :Eeek::Eeek: My wife used to put a pony tail in :thumb::winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We used to have a 2kw inverter linked to the cab battery, when the engine was running the alternator was returning 160A back to the battery. :thumb: For us it work well for a years almost daily use, as we were wild camping and often 'moving on' in the morning - but if you stay put longer then perhaps not so practical or neighbour friendly.
http://www.europebycamper.com/2011/06/hairdryer-from-12v-in-motorhome.html

We now have it hooked up to our 2x 125AH leisure batteries and 200w solar. We went away last weekend, Sophie used the hairdryer 3x (twice for the dog!) and still had plenty of power left when we came home.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you have blown warm air heating get her to kneel in front of the vents, [HI]if you care about her, attach an old vacuum cleaner hose to the outlet so she can move it about whilst sitting[/HI].:thumb:
Failing that there is a big diesel hair-dryer under the bonnet, set all heater vents to her side.

Got visions of a vac hose just been removed from an old vac, connected to your vents and when you put the fans on she gets covered in old dust from the tube !!

Back to the original problem tho, how about a trailer full of batteries towed behind and to recharge them park up next to a wind turbine on a blowy day and plug in ! Glad to be of help !!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have just 2x80ah gel batteries and 2kw inverter, works a treat for microwave coffee machine hair dryer etc, If you move every day the batts would be topped up but we have 320 watt solar and this keeps well on top of them.

Check the weight of 4x110 ah.

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you have a 440 Ah battery bank and use it extensively (i.e. deplete the charge significantly) how are you planning to recharge it? That would need either: a roof full of solar panels and a strong 'southern' sun; a very long drive; or EHU for probably 2 days. Also, be careful not to overload the charger. I know nothing about the system installed in a Bessacar but I know that the Schaudt system installed in a lot of continental vans is designed for banks of up to 180 Ah. In practice this can be pushed to 2 x 110Ah but the rule of thumb of 10 x the current output of the charger is reckoned to be safe. So a 440 Ah battery bank should ideally have a 44 Amp charger to load it. Not many vans have that.

If, on the other hand, you don't plan to discharge the batteries that much (obviating the need for extended recharging time) why not have a smaller battery bank and a moderate solar array on the roof. I find a 135W panel is ample for maintaining 2 x 110Ah between 1st May and 31st October. In winter, either hook up or carry an inverter generator.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Another spanner

So the consensus so far seems to a bigger inverter to power microwave and hairdryer. Which is all well and good. But...

When "off site" I can run the AC (500w) off the battery and get a good 2-3 hours without killing everything. If I put in two extra batteries It'd run until the heat has gone and I can get a good nights sleep.

So with a heavy load the connecting cables between batteries need to be chunky and in an ideal world the inverter should have one connection on battery one and one connection on battery 4.

Has anyone got 4 batteries (or more) running in parallel? Any practical suggestions?:thumb:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
If you have a 440 Ah battery bank and use it extensively (i.e. deplete the charge significantly) how are you planning to recharge it? That would need either: a roof full of solar panels and a strong 'southern' sun; a very long drive; or EHU for probably 2 days. Also, be careful not to overload the charger. I know nothing about the system installed in a Bessacar but I know that the Schaudt system installed in a lot of continental vans is designed for banks of up to 180 Ah. In practice this can be pushed to 2 x 110Ah but the rule of thumb of 10 x the current output of the charger is reckoned to be safe. So a 440 Ah battery bank should ideally have a 44 Amp charger to load it. Not many vans have that.

If, on the other hand, you don't plan to discharge the batteries that much (obviating the need for extended recharging time) why not have a smaller battery bank and a moderate solar array on the roof. I find a 135W panel is ample for maintaining 2 x 110Ah between 1st May and 31st October. In winter, either hook up or carry an inverter generator.

:Doh: That's such a good point - if staying more than I night in one spot I'd need to drive around to get some serious power back into the batteries. I think I'm sold on sticking with two leisure batteries and a larger inverter so she can dry her barnet.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Broken Link Removed

This lovely inverter may be for sale soon!

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Got visions of a vac hose just been removed from an old vac, connected to your vents and when you put the fans on she gets covered in old dust from the tube !!

Back to the original problem tho, how about a trailer full of batteries towed behind and to recharge them[HI] park up next to a wind turbine on a blowy day and plug in ! Glad to be of help [/HI]!!

Not too windy though or the things will have been shut down..

Not an expert on these matters, but will your alternator be able to cope with all that battery capacity, or will you cause it some damage??:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back