Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
Just been to say hello to the motorhome in storage. Thought I would have a look at the tyres following recent threads, and noticed cracking in the rear tyre walls. Is there an 'acceptable' level of cracking? the van is in for a service in a couple of weeks and will mention it but do funsters think I should err on caution and budget to replace them?

Thought I better add the ' I take full responsibility for the condition of the tyres, and any advice given will not override this responsibility' and is offered as advice only.
:thanks:

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi,
Just been to say hello to the motorhome in storage. Thought I would have a look at the tyres following recent threads, and noticed cracking in the rear tyre walls. Is there an 'acceptable' level of cracking? the van is in for a service in a couple of weeks and will mention it but do funsters think I should err on caution and budget to replace them?

Thought I better add the ' I take full responsibility for the condition of the tyres, and any advice given will not override this responsibility' and is offered as advice only.
:thanks:
Here is a US forum I visit with a very useful chart. Sorry I do not know how to load pictures on here!
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13769

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
i had some new michelin agilis tyres fitted 3 weeks ago, the reason was the old tyres were 9 years old with slight craze cracking, tread was still very good, mileage 13500, the tyre fitter advised i changed because of the age,
the tyre fitter pointed out the age of the new tyres,
1st was 7months old the 2nd was 15 months old.
we phoned michelin technical advice and they said a distributor can provide tyres up to 5years old if stored correctly ,
i asked about side wall cracking and they replied that it is up to the individual to check and access the deteriation , if no craze cracking the tyres are good for 10 years providing they are checked regularly.
michelin technical advise number if any member wants it is 01782402000
hope this helps..:thumb:

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Here you go:thumb:

Michelin Sidewall Crack Chart:
Michelin_Sidewall_Crack_Chart_1_zps3f847a0e.jpg

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
You need to save it to your desktop, then post it to Photobucket or similar, get the links and insert:thumb:

(Might be easier on a desktop/laptop)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Tyres

I would always err on the side of caution and change any suspect tyre.

This may be as a result of having a blow out in a 6year old caravan tyre which destroyed the wheel arch, about 9 years ago. On checking the other tyre a bulge had appeared on the inside wall over an area of about three inches by two.

Both tyres had been checked before setting out on the trip with no apparent problem, although I may have missed the bulge, being on the inside wall.

Better £130 for a tyre than £1300 for damage to bodywork etc.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I ask a simple question about tyre sidewall cracking, "do you think they'll heal up or get worse?"

I've never known 'em to heal up.

Replace them.

D.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The price of a tyre is a tank of fuel I would advise anyone if in any doubt before hitfan.jpg get them changed

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The way I have always looked at it - there are several centimetres between you, your family, other people's families and the maker.

ANY suspicion with a tyre, get it changed - now't worse than driving along hoping all will hold together.......... listening for a pop, bang or worse.

I had some small cracks on mine when I bought the MoHo but had them changed as a precaution,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thank the holy grail I did, the tyre fitter showed me the inside of the tyres and the inner cracks were horrendous and seriously could have gone at any time. The treads were not even a 1/4 worn,,,,, just a few (6) years old.

I know its some money for a set of Michelin campers - but - for sure I felt a lot happier since having them changed. I look at the Grandchildren and feel just that little more comfortable with life.

I sincerely hope that others do the same as I really don't want someone else's car, van, truck or caravan smashing into us as they had been trying to squeeze another few miles more out of 'iffy' tyres - just watch the caravans in the hard shoulders in a few weeks time with blown tyres.

Just my t'penneth.

Drive safe.:thumb:

Trikeman. :winky:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The way I have always looked at it - there are several centimetres between you, your family, other people's families and the maker.

ANY suspicion with a tyre, get it changed - now't worse than driving along hoping all will hold together.......... listening for a pop, bang or worse.

I had some small cracks on mine when I bought the MoHo but had them changed as a precaution,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thank the holy grail I did, the tyre fitter showed me the inside of the tyres and the inner cracks were horrendous and seriously could have gone at any time. The treads were not even a 1/4 worn,,,,, just a few (6) years old.

I know its some money for a set of Michelin campers - but - for sure I felt a lot happier since having them changed. I look at the Grandchildren and feel just that little more comfortable with life.

I sincerely hope that others do the same as I really don't want someone else's car, van, truck or caravan smashing into us as they had been trying to squeeze another few miles more out of 'iffy' tyres - just watch the caravans in the hard shoulders in a few weeks time with blown tyres.

Just my t'penneth.

Drive safe.:thumb:

Trikeman. :winky:

It's also worth getting tyre covers for when in storage to reduce UV damage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It's also worth getting tyre covers for when in storage to reduce UV damage.
a piece of thin plywood cut to fit into the wheelarch would keep the sun off, especially if painted white or silver

that wont release the pressure the tyres are under whilst constantly loaded or the bulging and flattening effect when parked up for extended periods

but then again, some people think a tyre thats starting to perish and fail is safe at motorway speeds on a vehicle above 3.5tonnes:Eeek:

if you know its faulty, would you lie about it at a fatal accident inquest where your negligence caused somebody to be killed. the driver is legally responsible for the condition of the vehicle. knowing its faulty and doing nothing is a fools game, gambling with peoples lives.

oh and i speak from experience of having a tyre blow out at motorway speed..... its bloody terrifying believe me. not something i would recommend others experience for themselves

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I would just point out, PappaJohn, that the pic I posted of my tyre [scary photo] showed a crack well in excess of 2mm deep, which prompted a sarky response from your good self [not that I mind sarky comments, as long as you can take as well as give]. Since you've just agreed with the photo advice earlier in this thread that such tyres should be replaced, I feel I am now standing firmly on the moral high ground.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back