Ducato (2013) locking door with battery disconnected (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
How do you lock your doors after you've taken your battery out ?

Once the battery is disconnected the central locking obviously doesn't work and although I can lock the hab door from the inside and the drivers door from the outside with the key, I can't see how I can lock the passenger door :Doh:

I can only imagine that you need to lock all doors via central locking, disconnect the battery and then climb out through garage:Eeek:

I am missing something ?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Why not lock the drivers & passengers doors from inside with button on the dash, then remove the battery & come out through the hab door & lock that from outside?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Because I the hab door is central locking too and can only be locked from the inside with battery out, I love Italian design:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Back to plan A then, I take it there is access to the garage from yhe hab area:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Back to plan A then,unless you have manual windows, I take it there is access to the garage from the hab area:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in theory, you can put a set of jump leads on the terminals under the bonnet, then remove terminals very very carefully from van battery and wrap in insulating tape. remove battery, close doors and lock with central locking before removing jump leads and closing bonnet

just a theory though and potentially dangerous as the live terminal connector from the van will remain live after disconnecting. if it touches metal you will short it to ground causing sparks and probable damage.

DONT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE RISK YOU ARE TAKING

Otherwise you need to lock the doors then disconnect the battery and leave through the drivers door and lock it behind you....not easy to do

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
in theory, you can put a set of jump leads on the terminals under the bonnet, then remove terminals very very carefully from van battery and wrap in insulating tape. remove battery, close doors and lock with central locking before removing jump leads and closing bonnet

just a theory though and potentially dangerous as the live terminal connector from the van will remain live after disconnecting. if it touches metal you will short it to ground causing sparks and probable damage.

DONT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE RISK YOU ARE TAKING

Otherwise you need to lock the doors then disconnect the battery and leave through the drivers door and lock it behind you....not easy to do

Think I'll give the first idea a miss.

Will have to try and see if the passenger door unlocks when I unlock the drivers door but no reason it should once the battery is out, this would be the easiest way:thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Depends on why you are removing the battery?

To charge it at home.

Forgot to disconnect it last time we used it and the lovely Fiat Canbus system vaporized the power in the battery...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
once more modern technology comes to the forefront of stupidity.

why is there no allowance for locking the passenger door from the inside or outside when power is removed.
it was never a problem before the computer age fitting an internal door lock button.

unfortunately this ridiculous technological march forward will never end.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
once more modern technology comes to the forefront of stupidity.

why is there no allowance for locking the passenger door from the inside or outside when power is removed.
it was never a problem before the computer age fitting an internal door lock button.

unfortunately this ridiculous technological march forward will never end.

Fully agree, couldn't believe there is no key hole on the passenger door, there's a lock but no key hole ! Must have saved a fortune on the design there…..

And the Canbus is simply ridiculous at draining power.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fully agree, couldn't believe there is no key hole on the passenger door, there's a lock but no key hole ! Must have saved a fortune on the design there…..

And the Canbus is simply ridiculous at draining power.

fiat door skins allow fitting of new keyholes in 3 seconds with nothing more than a screwdriver.
if they spent as much upgrading there materials as they do on electronics they would have a better product.

my last ducato had the pasenger lock screwdrivered....once i took out the lock i straightened the metal round the hole with my finger and thumb.....nowt more than thick tinfoil.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thinking about this, it can't be that difficult to replace the existing handle with one that has a key hole in it, and then replace the lock barrel.

Will look into that.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thinking about this, it can't be that difficult to replace the existing handle with one that has a key hole in it, and then replace the lock barrel.

Will look into that.
just order the opposite of your van....for a lhd van buy rhd drivers door lock:thumb:

mind you ive not looked at the van but my rhd nissan has a (hidden) keyhole on the near side door only and lhd its the same door. a real pain in the bum if the battery in the key fails. i have to unlock passenger door get in, lean over and unlock then go round the other side to get in and drive

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have to park with the drivers side up against a house so cannot get at the door I have no rear doors and the passenger door and the sliding door has no keyhole? whoever thought of that :Doh: you have to open the passenger door to get at the battery jump point :Doh:

if my battery ever goes flat I will never get in the van through any doors and of course they will be deadlocked:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Broken Link Removed

plus you need the actual lock, preferably keyed the same as the rest of the van

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
There is a hole just above the lock on the door edge put key in hole and push down, close door and it should lock.
This is from memory but I'm sure it is right:thumb:

Oh and lock drivers door with key

Found it

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
There is a hole just above the lock on the door edge put key in hole and push down, close door and it should lock.
This is from memory but I'm sure it is right:thumb:

Oh and lock drivers door with key

Found it

Broken Link Removed

Will have a look this evening but that would be a workable solution better than yesterdays palaver

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
That was from Fiat a few years back :thumb:

Well just checked and it's still there and works as you describe.

The hole is on the inside of the door although hidden once it's closed. It's just above the lock mechanism and is around 10mm OD. My engine key wouldn't fit in mine so I gently used the garage key and this worked fine. A small click and then close the door and it's locked ::bigsmile:

:thumb:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
With my Laika I lock the passengers door with the button use the key to lock the drivers door then disconnect the battery. The Hab door I lock with a Fiamma safe door frame security lock from the outside. :thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
With my Laika I lock the passengers door with the button use the key to lock the drivers door then disconnect the battery. The Hab door I lock with a Fiamma safe door frame security lock from the outside. :thumb:

Yes I wondered if some 3rd party exterior locks would also solve this.

I guess you cannot lock your Hab door from the outside either unless via remote central locking ? (also Laika here)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
How do you lock your doors after you've taken your battery out ?

Once the battery is disconnected the central locking obviously doesn't work and although I can lock the hab door from the inside and the drivers door from the outside with the key, I can't see how I can lock the passenger door :Doh:

I can only imagine that you need to lock all doors via central locking, disconnect the battery and then climb out through garage:Eeek:

I am missing something ?

Lock all doors via central locking, remove battery and egress through driver's door which has a standard key operated lock.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Lock all doors via central locking, remove battery and egress through driver's door which has a standard key operated lock.

Yep, try doing that when you've just put the battery in the boot of your car:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back